Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 14, 2011, 16:36   #1
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Level feelings not quite there

In my inventory I have:

o) a Scroll of Curse Weapon
Found lying on the floor at 900 feet (level 18).

This was originally a stack of two unidentified scrolls; I read the other one and this one became ID-by-use. Yet the object feeling for this level was "terribly bored" (the lowest possible level). This scroll is normally found at DL50, making it 32 levels OOD, so shouldn't it have triggered a higher feeling, even though it is a bad item?
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011, 17:10   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
In my inventory I have:

o) a Scroll of Curse Weapon
Found lying on the floor at 900 feet (level 18).

This was originally a stack of two unidentified scrolls; I read the other one and this one became ID-by-use. Yet the object feeling for this level was "terribly bored" (the lowest possible level). This scroll is normally found at DL50, making it 32 levels OOD, so shouldn't it have triggered a higher feeling, even though it is a bad item?
Not according to the current code, which uses the object power to determine its contribution to the level feeling. Since bad items have power 0 (or less), they'll never bump the level feeling.

Do people actually want OOD bad items to increase the level feeling? I'd have thought not, but you never know.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011, 01:04   #3
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Not according to the current code, which uses the object power to determine its contribution to the level feeling. Since bad items have power 0 (or less), they'll never bump the level feeling.
OK, if this is intended behavior I can understand it. It seemed a little odd to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Do people actually want OOD bad items to increase the level feeling? I'd have thought not, but you never know.
At first, I thought maybe they should create bad feelings, but then I realized that you would have a problem with both an OOD bad item and OOD good item, would you then have to have some sort of mixed feeling? So it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Anyway, this led to a new issue: I finally managed to uncurse this weapon after several to-hit enchantments. This left me with: a Cutlass (1d8) (+4,-3). I had found a HA weapon in the meantime, so I put it on and was surprised when I didn't drop this one, as I had squelched "good" edged weapons. So I hit 'ignore' and selected this weapon, and choice 'b' was all non-artifact weapons. This weapon started out as just a magical cutlass. It was never any more than "good", so it appears that mixed signs on to_hit and to_dam bonuses mess up the quality squelch level of weapons. I have confirmed this by loading a test character and going through a similar process; since there was some discussion about wanting to have issues in the tracker, I have opened a ticket.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2011, 13:49   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
Anyway, this led to a new issue: I finally managed to uncurse this weapon after several to-hit enchantments. This left me with: a Cutlass (1d8) (+4,-3). I had found a HA weapon in the meantime, so I put it on and was surprised when I didn't drop this one, as I had squelched "good" edged weapons. So I hit 'ignore' and selected this weapon, and choice 'b' was all non-artifact weapons. This weapon started out as just a magical cutlass. It was never any more than "good", so it appears that mixed signs on to_hit and to_dam bonuses mess up the quality squelch level of weapons. I have confirmed this by loading a test character and going through a similar process; since there was some discussion about wanting to have issues in the tracker, I have opened a ticket.
Thanks - I saw that. It's easy enough to fix providing we all agree what the correct behaviour should be. My suggestion is that the negative is ignored and the item is treated as {good} for quality squelch purposes.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote