AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 3, 2017, 15:00   #81
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Why would the blacksmith not want to buy an awl pike 1d8 (+7,+1) {??} ?
Wielded, used on a boil covered wretch, no other properties known on inspection.
Most likely, that {??} rune is an unknown curse. I generally like to stash these items at home until I have a surplus of identify rune scrolls around. In the early game, home space isn't worth anything anyway, and by the time it becomes an issue, you'll probably know all the useful runes that you might ever find on a non-artifact weapon.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2017, 17:07   #82
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Most likely, that {??} rune is an unknown curse. I generally like to stash these items at home until I have a surplus of identify rune scrolls around. In the early game, home space isn't worth anything anyway, and by the time it becomes an issue, you'll probably know all the useful runes that you might ever find on a non-artifact weapon.
Yes I was assuming a curse, but I thought shopkeepers gave pricing based on the known modifiers ? If that isnt the case, how exactly does shop evaluation work ?
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017, 01:55   #83
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Another bug in item identification: Found a cursed ring of digging, having not previously learned that flavor. I cast an identify rune on it at first, and learned that it had a paralysis curse. Wore it, and learned about the digging skill. So far, all as expected. But after activating it for the stone-to-mud, it's still showing as "marble ring" rather than "ring of digging." Presumably, the game is waiting for me to id all the runes. But that's not correct behavior, as the only runes left are curses, which have nothing to do with the object's identity as a ring of digging.

EDIT: This is on the latest nightly. I can provide a save if really needed, but it shouldn't be necessary for this bug.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017, 10:27   #84
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Yes I was assuming a curse, but I thought shopkeepers gave pricing based on the known modifiers ? If that isnt the case, how exactly does shop evaluation work ?
Evalution is indeed based on known flags. Let's say you have an item with the "chilled to the bone" curse. It won't get identified until you learn both the "resist fire" and "resist cold" runes. If the first thing you meet is a fire hound, you will learn the "resist fire" rune and your item will be considered as having resist fire, so you can sell it for that value. If the first thing you meet is a cold hound, you will learn the "resist cold" rune, but then your item will be considered as having "vulnerability" to cold and won't sell. So if you want to sell items with curses, you need that the item's positive abilities weight more than the negative ones.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:56   #85
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road

Not as serene as I expected! Rock trap stunned me even though I'm wearing a Serenity crown.

Also, would be nice if bodaks were big Us instead of little u's. Tengus they are not. (I die again).

Umm, how come I am no longer getting reports on my weapon description for how much STR/DEX to increase blows?

Last edited by Grotug; December 4, 2017 at 13:22.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017, 14:07   #86
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post

Not as serene as I expected! Rock trap stunned me even though I'm wearing a Serenity crown.

Also, would be nice if bodaks were big Us instead of little u's. Tengus they are not. (I die again).

Umm, how come I am no longer getting reports on my weapon description for how much STR/DEX to increase blows?
Unfortunately, there were some letters erased from that crown. A "d", a "p" and a "i".
Old December 4, 2017, 20:48   #87
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is on a distinguished road
cool direction of development

Just wanted to mention that version 4.1.1 feels pretty good to play again and that i like the direction the game is moving!

Just very little findings in the first game, DL40 without even a lamp ...

Please keep on the good work.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2017, 21:09   #88
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I'm not ignoring this thread, but I am very short of time at the moment, so may not be doing much upkeep for the next week or two.
Old December 7, 2017, 07:57   #89
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
In the latest nightly, weapon descriptions no longer inform player about the effect on number of blows from increasing Str or Dex. Was this change intentional?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017, 10:07   #90
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
In the latest nightly, weapon descriptions no longer inform player about the effect on number of blows from increasing Str or Dex. Was this change intentional?
It's a bug.

Since last update, obj_known_blows() has been simplified by using calc_bonuses(). However, calc_bonuses() does a memset() on the "state" structure, so this code doesn't work:

Code:
state.stat_ind[STAT_STR] += str_plus;
state.stat_ind[STAT_DEX] += dex_plus; <-- "state" is wiped in calc_bonuses(), this never applies
calc_bonuses(player, &state, true, false);
new_blows = state.num_blows; <-- always equal to old_blows
state.stat_ind[STAT_STR] -= str_plus;
state.stat_ind[STAT_DEX] -= dex_plus;
Fix: remove the memset() from calc_bonuses() and add a memset() before each call to calc_bonuses(), except for the above code.