Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 24, 2015, 19:47   #271
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Angband 4.0 dev 6dc5445

Just had a crash when picking up some newly fired, magical but not yet fully identified arrows. Not easily duplicated, so no save file. The nearest I can figure, the crash occurred when at the same moment @ picked up the newly fired arrows pseudo-id was kicking in on the same type arrows still in the quiver. The program was confused about the picked up arrows stacking with the same pseudo-id' arrows. At least that's my surmise, since when I replayed nearly the same keystrokes, but pseudo id kicked in the turn before picking up the newly fired arrows everything went fine.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015, 19:53   #272
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Angband 4.0 dev 6dc5445

Just had a crash when picking up some newly fired, magical but not yet fully identified arrows...
Belay my last. It is something else entirely. Another mimic or item crush bug, perhaps? I can't nail it down exactly, but play a little in this vault and see if you don't get a crash. This is on OSX. Ninya.zip
Old May 24, 2015, 21:54   #273
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Angband 4.0 dev 6dc5445

Firing missiles from the floor. In 3.5.1, when a missile rolled under feet during melee, @ could fire the missile from the floor, then, if more missiles were still underfoot or the fired missile rolled under foot on the turn, you could use the [n] repeat last action command to again fire a missile from the floor.

In 4.0 the [n] repeat last action command does not work for firing missiles from the floor.
Old May 24, 2015, 22:49   #274
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quiver reshuffling behaviour is, frankly, baffling. (I was writing up a whole detailed description of how it acts differently to how I'd expect, and then it didn't do what I'd anticipated based on the 'rules' I'd worked out, so now I'm even more confused.)

Basically, when you pick up new ammo, the quiver completely reshuffles itself in utterly bewildering ways. I think it's sorting itself into bolts/arrows/shots order with standard/seeker/mithril order within the subgroups, then sticking the new ammo in the appropriate slot, bumping whatever's there to a new slot, bumping what's in that slot elsewhere, and ending up with things reshuffled all over the place. But honestly, it's very hard to tell what it's doing.

It's so baffling I can really only hope to describe by demonstration. Okay, so you've got some iron shots in slot a, and you pick up some bolts. You get this:

a) bolts
b) iron shots

Then you pick up some arrows, and get this:

a) bolts
b) arrows
c) iron shots

Pick up some rounded pebbles, you get this:

a) bolts
b) arrows
c) rounded pebbles
d) iron shots

So far, so much like it's sorting itself, right? But then, pick up some mithril bolts, and you get this:

a) bolts
b) mithril bolts
c) rounded pebbles (these stayed where they were)
d) arrows (I guess these were bumped out of b, but why to here and not the end?)
e) iron shots (unlike the rounded pebbles, these did move down. Why?)

Follow this up with some seeker arrows, and you get:

a) bolts
b) mithril bolts
c) seeker arrows (why did these go ahead of the regular arrows???)
d) arrows
e) rounded pebbles (bumped out of c to the penultimate slot, but why not the end?)
f) iron shots

Add seeker bolts to the fun:

a) bolts
b) seeker bolts
c) seeker arrows (didn't move)
d) mithril bolts (bumped from slot b, but why are they here???)
e) rounded pebbles (didn't move)
f) arrows (...whut?)
g) iron shots

(It gets even more fun when you drop things, and the slot is refilled sometimes by the last ammo on the list but sometimes by something else instead!)

I think what might be happening is some sort of very complicated shell game where the quiver is first re-sorted, then the new ammo goes into the appropriate slot, which bumps the ammo from there to the end of its subgroup, which bumps the ammo that was there to somewhere else... But it's basically incomprehensible and impossible to predict where any of your ammo will end up any time you drop or pick some up.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015, 22:51   #275
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Angband 4.0 dev 6dc5445

Amulet of Trickery strangeness. Used to be in 3.5.1 an Amulet of Trickery was identified with 3 bonus numbers, although a couple of those numbers were used twice. Speed, Stealth, Searching, Dexterity (was Infravision part of it in 3.5.1, I don't remember, if so, I believe it was combined with the Search number). Now, in 4.0, each of these gets it's own separate bonus number. That's just fine. BUT: the headline only lists 4 modifiers.

Amulet of Trickery <+5,+2,+4,+7>
+5 dexterity.
+2 stealth.
+4 searching skill.
+7 infravision.
+3 speed.

Where is the speed modifier in the headline?
Old May 24, 2015, 23:03   #276
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Angband 4.0 dev 6dc5445

Item ignoring flavor strangeness. @ found a "Gold" ring (not to be confused with the "Plain Gold" ring. The "gold" ring was identified as the Ring of Tulkas and was LOST when @ left it behind. However, on the item ignore menu for rings a "Gold" flavored ring is still listed as unidentified.
Old May 24, 2015, 23:04   #277
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think what might be happening is some sort of very complicated shell game where the quiver is first re-sorted, then the new ammo goes into the appropriate slot, which bumps the ammo from there to the end of its subgroup, which bumps the ammo that was there to somewhere else... But it's basically incomprehensible and impossible to predict where any of your ammo will end up any time you drop or pick some up.
It sounds to me like two different sorting strategies could be being run in (sometimes) different orders?

Are any of these ammo tagged? The "old" quiver would try to honor @f0, @f1, etc. I could imagine that maybe that prioritization scheme (or a similar one based on bonuses) might be conflicting with a new type-based scheme.
Old May 24, 2015, 23:22   #278
Nomad
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
It sounds to me like two different sorting strategies could be being run in (sometimes) different orders?

Are any of these ammo tagged? The "old" quiver would try to honor @f0, @f1, etc. I could imagine that maybe that prioritization scheme (or a similar one based on bonuses) might be conflicting with a new type-based scheme.
Nope, this is all uninscribed. (I was generating ammo with the debug commands to try and figure out what was happening, so it was all newly created, and individual bolts/arrows/shots rather than different-sized stacks.) For what it's worth, the sequence above is fully reproducible by picking up the same types of ammo in the same order, so whatever it's doing, it is at least doing it consistently.
Old May 24, 2015, 23:26   #279
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

I know it's not strictly an Ego type, but would it be possible to add the types of Dragon Scale armor to the ego ignore list? E.g., I'd like to ignore all Red, Black, White, Dragon Scale Armor, since no matter what Ego, if any, it carries I just don't want it. But I do want to see Chaos Dragon Scale Mail, for instance.
Old May 24, 2015, 23:46   #280
Nomad
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I know it's not strictly an Ego type, but would it be possible to add the types of Dragon Scale armor to the ego ignore list? E.g., I'd like to ignore all Red, Black, White, Dragon Scale Armor, since no matter what Ego, if any, it carries I just don't want it. But I do want to see Chaos Dragon Scale Mail, for instance.
You can do that from the object knowledge menu with autoinscriptions - set DSMs to a given quality squelch level but then have Chaos and other types you do want to keep set up to be autoinscribed !k. (I do that for Caestus as well so they don't squelch with all the other gloves.)