Old August 19, 2019, 03:57   #1
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
blandness in V (from DF forum)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...opic=164729.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsoie
Angband necromancers gather and cast ... Thread Necromancy !

Angband 4.2.0 has been released, a big update as it has new magic (Nature and Shadow), classes and a lot of rebalancing (+bugfixes and code improvement) :
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9537

Sounds interesting, maybe time to get a new character as it's been so long i didn't played, hopefully it will feel a bit less generic and more Tolkien this time.

Edit : played a few levels and nope, it's still the exact same boring dungeon generation big empty room, very long corridors of nothing , no special dungeon features or etc... some monsters here and there that do nothing interesting, etc...
I guess after playing all those roguelikes that can do some very interesting dungeons and explorations, vanilla Angband is not for me anymore, entirely too generic with nothing special.

Probably time to see what variants there is currently, too bad most of them are based on older version of Angband without all the interface and other quality of life improvement 4.x has
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 06:08   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Can't please all the people - especially when they only play for long enough to confirm their existing biases
Old August 19, 2019, 09:16   #3
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Diversity of terrain in Angband

Quote:
no special dungeon features
I suppose it won't hurt if the game would more terrain features, eg:

- water generation (streams and lakes, flooded levels)
- chasms (also different types, some could work like 'big' pit-traps, floors-like where you could fight with monsters (with certain +/-); some like deep descent chasms)
- more types of terrain - floors/walls. Online roguelikes (PWMA and TomeNET) got different layouts in the dungeons, it makes adventure more diverse. As V got one dungeon, it could have such features just certain lvls, eg
-- some levels could be 'cold' (with icy floors which could be slippery - such ones exist in TomeNET; ice walls (melted by fire easely).
-- some could be hot (with sand, which is easy to dig) etc

Also TomeNET had relatively recent update with great way of 'inserting' parts of the 'interesting' terrain in the dungeon. So in common 'stone' dungeons could be small patches of sandy walls (they looks very organic as they come in certain group/pattern, not randomly; it looks and feels very fun), maybe V-devs could investigate how it's made in TomeNET code

Last edited by tangar; August 19, 2019 at 09:22.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 12:29   #4
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Can't please all the people - especially when they only play for long enough to confirm their existing biases
It is a more subtle improvement to notice, but in my view the new special rooms patterns make the dungeon a lot more interesting.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 14:40   #5
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Maybe some discussion on dungeon generation is needed? The special rooms code has been in for a while and although the number of possible special rooms is now large, making the rooms themselves interesting, there could be scope for some amendments.

Not sure about 4.2.0 (not checked yet) but in 4.1 the old style 'bland' level generation was still there and the game randomly chooses between that one, the new one with special rooms, labyrinths and caverns (the last two having depth checks). Removing the old style generator would seem to be a step forward as we know the new one works. And then maybe add some more interesting level generators.

There was discussion years ago about a way to create a more closely packed room structure and I'm sure other ideas would present themselves.

Having a selection of different generators would certainly keep each level as more of a surprise

There was also the discussion around having smaller levels at the start, primarily to encourage diving. But it would also stop the first couple of levels seeming like endless stretches of corridors
Old August 19, 2019, 14:47   #6
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
What would be really nice from a development perspective would be hooking up the generation routines to the terrain definitions and having a standalone command line tool that spits out a text, coloured text, or html rendering of a level into a file, so that one could adjust the generation routines and inspect outputs without booting up a game and going into wizard mode.

One can dream.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 15:21   #7
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
What would be really nice from a development perspective would be hooking up the generation routines to the terrain definitions and having a standalone command line tool that spits out a text, coloured text, or html rendering of a level into a file, so that one could adjust the generation routines and inspect outputs without booting up a game and going into wizard mode.

One can dream.
A simple command line option to Angband ought to be added fairly easily to do this. Get it to load all the data files then call the required level generation, dump the output to a file and quit
Old August 19, 2019, 20:44   #8
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I think thats a guy who doesnt use shift-run. If you do use that, theres a feature literally every step.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 02:34   #9
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I doubt it. I pretty much agree with what he is saying & I do shift run. I think the game is fun despite being bland in a lot of places but I do think its there & that it gets in the way of trying to get into the game & enjoy yourself. Particularly in the early game. It matters less later on when the game gets more dangerous & you're concentrating more on not dying.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 05:43   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Some of that feel in the early game may be the inevitable result of expert experience. In a game that forces one to start from ground zero every time, you have to bear with some drudgery to work your way to where things get difficult for you. A beginner would likely not feel the same, as they need the time to learn and figure out what is going on, something the early levels do particularly well. I imagine Serena Williams having lost her top seed position by being out of tennis for awhile had some of the same feeling having to work her way back up to the top ranks.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote