Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 25, 2019, 18:05   #81
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Dark ritual is book 1 for blackguards
Really? "Into the Shadows" costs 25 and "Dark Rituals" 400. That must be a pricing bug, makes no sense.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 18:16   #82
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Really? "Into the Shadows" costs 25 and "Dark Rituals" 400. That must be a pricing bug, makes no sense.
You get the first spell at level 8. 2nd at 14, 3rd at 17, 4th at 20. I'd consider it a 2nd level book, so fits with the pricing of other books.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 18:30   #83
spara
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
You get the first spell at level 8. 2nd at 14, 3rd at 17, 4th at 20. I'd consider it a 2nd level book, so fits with the pricing of other books.
You mean, that blackguard does not get any spells from necro book 1 and necro book 2 is kind of like the first book for blackguard? Hmmm. Is there some way of knowing that in game?
Old August 25, 2019, 20:54   #84
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
You mean, that blackguard does not get any spells from necro book 1 and necro book 2 is kind of like the first book for blackguard? Hmmm. Is there some way of knowing that in game?
If the item description for the book doesn't say "You can read this book", you can ignore it for the rest of the game. Unreadable books also show up gray in your inventory.
Blackguards first book is pretty crap anyway, at least during the early game. Lowly buffs for high failure rate.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 21:19   #85
spara
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
If the item description for the book doesn't say "You can read this book", you can ignore it for the rest of the game. Unreadable books also show up gray in your inventory.
Blackguards first book is pretty crap anyway, at least during the early game. Lowly buffs for high failure rate.
Thanks. That's something new. In the old days, hybrid casters were able to read at least something from all the town book, if I recall it correctly. I thought gray just meant, I can't read it yet .
Old August 26, 2019, 01:43   #86
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@spara
Depends on the variant. In old variants, SHRIEK just added 10 to speed, so yes. In newer variants, it adds to a haste counter, just like the one for the player.
I'm actually not sure about what the mechanic is here, even after all these years. Also don't know what you mean about a haste counter for the player. Speed items stack in the sense that permanent sources of speed are additive, and you can add to those a temporary +10 speed from a potion, rod, stave, or spell, however, the counter for the temporary speed is NOT additive. Meaning that quaffing five potions of speed will not give @ any more time at speed than quaffing one potion would, it just wastes four potions. I don't know how SHRIEK works, whether it is additive or just extra shrieks that do nothing more than the first.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019, 16:39   #87
Oraticus
Apprentice

Oraticus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraticus View Post
I've already seen people mention the wand of darkness not doing damage, so I won't go into that, but I have noticed that both that wand and "raise earth" haven't been updating the relevant elements in monster memory (I assume raise earth is shards damage).

Not getting weakness and resistance info is annoying when you're trying to fill out monster lore.
Not to self bump, but has anyone else been noticing this, or is it just me? Monster memory doesn't update when I hit creatures with Druid's "Raise Earth" spell (resists/does not resist shards), or when hit with the darkness wand.
Oraticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019, 22:58   #88
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraticus View Post
Not to self bump, but has anyone else been noticing this, or is it just me? Monster memory doesn't update when I hit creatures with Druid's "Raise Earth" spell (resists/does not resist shards), or when hit with the darkness wand.
I will check this some time soon, but I haven't yet
Old August 27, 2019, 01:31   #89
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
So, that pesky and elusive run-past bug still exists. My new @ just ran past some copper coins and had to back up to retrieve them.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019, 03:42   #90
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
So, that pesky and elusive run-past bug still exists. My new @ just ran past some copper coins and had to back up to retrieve them.
*Sigh*

That one is so hard to pin down.