Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 4, 2019, 17:59   #251
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Hm, maybe I'm getting my memories conflated with variants then, or with the pre-2.9 days (and given that ZAngband branched off of 2.8.something, those are in many ways the same thing...). I guess this also points to me not paying much attention to basic Slay weapons!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019, 18:45   #252
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Hm, maybe I'm getting my memories conflated with variants then, or with the pre-2.9 days (and given that ZAngband branched off of 2.8.something, those are in many ways the same thing...).
Oops, made a typo.
Had been this way at least since 2.7.9v6 (the Ben Harrison Code rewrite)
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019, 19:04   #253
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Welp. Guess I'm just going senile then.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2019, 19:57   #254
fruviad
Scout

fruviad is on a distinguished road
As a Druid under the "Fox Form" spell, is there a command that will terminate the spell? Or must you attempt a command that isn't possible while shapechanged and then respond to the ensuing "Change back to your original form? [y/n]" prompt?
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2019, 21:12   #255
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
As a Druid under the "Fox Form" spell, is there a command that will terminate the spell? Or must you attempt a command that isn't possible while shapechanged and then respond to the ensuing "Change back to your original form? [y/n]" prompt?
Yeah, 'm' is the one.
Old November 6, 2019, 03:32   #256
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I would like to suggest an additional spell for Necromancers, "Shroud of Darkness". When cast, it would create a radius of darkness that travels with the @, just as the radius of light does when carrying a lantern.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2019, 08:17   #257
DavidMedley
Adept

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
darkness that travels with the @
Not bad! The necro already travels with a shroud of darkness. I think the key is the necro's darkness needs to fight against the light, which is where a spell like this might come in. Rooms might need to have increasing levels of light for this to work, tho... if it's always just magnitude 1 ambient light then the whole idea of necros casting poorly in the light will be moot.

I'm getting much better at manipulating light and dark now. Stand in dark, use rod of light toward what you want to see... not too bad.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2019, 11:56   #258
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
I would like to suggest an additional spell for Necromancers, "Shroud of Darkness". When cast, it would create a radius of darkness that travels with the @, just as the radius of light does when carrying a lantern.
Why do you want this?
Old November 6, 2019, 14:23   #259
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Why do you want this?
It just seems to me that rather than darkening a room or large cavern, etc., a necro could wrap themselves in darkness, like you have done for some of the new monsters (black huorn). A necro that did this would be able to cross a large lighted room without losing sight of everything in the room as he does when he casts darkness and he can no longer keep track of all those monsters.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2019, 00:12   #260
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
It just seems to me that rather than darkening a room or large cavern, etc., a necro could wrap themselves in darkness, like you have done for some of the new monsters (black huorn). A necro that did this would be able to cross a large lighted room without losing sight of everything in the room as he does when he casts darkness and he can no longer keep track of all those monsters.
I have thought quite hard about this, and I don't think I want to do it - here are my reasons:
  1. Spell design - it's not obvious to me what the duration, radius, level, mana cost and fail rate of such a spell should be. It seems that it has potential to be not at all useful, or too useful; this plays into the other reasons too.
  2. Philosophy - necromancy is meant to be a dark art, and against the natural order. Necromancers are designed to be hard and awkward to start, and to constantly need to make sacrifices and tradeoffs for their powers. I feel that the current tension between darkening a room for better spellcasting and leaving it lit for better vision is a good representation of this.
  3. Overlap - the use case for this spell overlaps considerably with create darkness. If it were to replace create darkness, then the player would lose the functionality of room mapping; if both were kept, it's a bit redundant. In addition, the necro's vision radius increases with level so that not being able to see monsters is a diminishing problem.
All that said, necromancer is a new class and likely to need tweaking; I don't want to discourage suggested improvements. I'm not altogether against the idea. I just feel that it goes some way to removing the intentional difficulties of the class, and risks losing its distinctiveness.