AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 16, 2010, 19:16   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krugar View Post
I'm however critic of the mechanics behind these breeder types. Seems to me maybe an abusive and lame method to introduce a challenge into the game (with all due respect). But until I give it some more thought I won't be extending my criticism any further or suggest alternatives. Let's just say I was slightly disappointed.
I've never really enjoyed breeders myself, but I doubt they're going anywhere; they're one of the mainstays of Angband going all the way back to Moria. The original dev once sent a copy to his college's rival school where the townspeople had been modified to move incredibly fast, breed explosively, and cheer on his school...

Take heart -- it could be far, far worse! ToME 2 has early breeders that readily wake up, move quickly, and can pass through walls. In general, vanilla Angband breeders will stop being a noticeable problem past, oh, 600'.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010, 19:23   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm however critic of the mechanics behind these breeder types. Seems to me maybe an abusive and lame method to introduce a challenge into the game (with all due respect).
Why do you say that? Breeders are breeders. Wait until you meet Hummerhorns.

Quote:
But until I give it some more thought I won't be extending my criticism any further or suggest alternatives. Let's just say I was slightly disappointed.
Disappointed to what? The fact that your char is not powerful enough to deal with breeders? Get over it. It is not a big deal.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010, 19:48   #13
krugar
Apprentice

krugar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laie View Post
This is one of the few cases where "Sleep Monster" or "Mass Sleep" may come in handy. The breeding pests shouldn't resist the spell.
Oh! Thanks for the tip. Definitely worth trying next time.
krugar is offline   Reply With Quote