AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 7, 2010, 12:26   #21
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
(I think the unspoken problem with non-permalevel roguelikes here is that they break suspension of disbelief. But really, a rogueliker suspends disbelief on so many things already, this too is doable. I know - I warmed up to 'bands very slowly myself for this very reason - slowly, but also "successfully.")
Like, you hold your two-handed sword at one hand, bow at another, lantern at another and shield at another, and yet manage to read a book while doing combat? Very realistic, right?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2010, 12:34   #22
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
"Realistic" is often a bad argument in discussion of games. More important is, if some feature works well in a game, if it's interesting to the player.

Chess is not very realistic, but still a good game.

I don't say "realistic" is always a bad idea (can be quite good in some games), but saying a feature is bad because it's "not realistic" reaches too short for discussions about games.
Old October 11, 2010, 12:32   #23
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
"Realistic" is often a bad argument in discussion of games. More important is, if some feature works well in a game, if it's interesting to the player.

Chess is not very realistic, but still a good game.

I don't say "realistic" is always a bad idea (can be quite good in some games), but saying a feature is bad because it's "not realistic" reaches too short for discussions about games.
I deliberately avoided the word "realistic" for this reason. Suspension of disbelief is closely related to realism, but not quite the same thing. A mage in heavy armor is no less realistic than one without, but for many people, it breaks disbelief more. A PC who needs to urinate once every fifty moves is more realistic than usual, but doesn't break suspension of disbelief any less than the more fun/sane Not Having a Urination System that is the norm.
Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010, 13:05   #24
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
I deliberately avoided the word "realistic" for this reason. Suspension of disbelief is closely related to realism, but not quite the same thing. A mage in heavy armor is no less realistic than one without, but for many people, it breaks disbelief more. A PC who needs to urinate once every fifty moves is more realistic than usual, but doesn't break suspension of disbelief any less than the more fun/sane Not Having a Urination System that is the norm.
Suspension of disbelief works in fantasies like it works in Bond-movies. Bond car can cut other cars with lasers, and that is OK, but when Bond gets an ordinary truck to pop a wheelie then that shatters the illusion of this being something sensible.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote