Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 19, 2010, 18:29   #11
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of floor effects. I'll disagree on one point: it will have a mild impact on game play, IF running stops on those special floor tiles. Still, this is likely the least significant.

Then, one has to consider implementation. How far away from the source, does this happen? If it's 3-5 floor spaces...how often will this do any good? Note that this applies to the original junk items, and perhaps even to odors.

Then: does this help once a monster or pack wakes up, and starts to move?
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2010, 19:03   #12
Whelk
Adept

Whelk is on a distinguished road
Could it be set up to be room-wide in larger rooms (ones that get completely lit up via light spells)? It'd be kind of nice to get to the entrance of a large room, see a bunch of red tiles, and cast a fire-resistance spell in preparation.
Whelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2010, 19:31   #13
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
I like the idea of floor effects. I'll disagree on one point: it will have a mild impact on game play, IF running stops on those special floor tiles. Still, this is likely the least significant.

Then, one has to consider implementation. How far away from the source, does this happen? If it's 3-5 floor spaces...how often will this do any good? Note that this applies to the original junk items, and perhaps even to odors.

Then: does this help once a monster or pack wakes up, and starts to move?
These are all legitimate concerns.

should it stop running? probably. Floor colors should be squelchable just like items would be tho. If you don't have rnexus it is incredibly important to be warned of nexus breathers. If you do have it, you don't care.

how far away? first attempt will be something like 10-30 tiles. This will of course create situations where it's on the opposite side of a granite wall. More detailed path finding algorithms are possible.

If monster packs wake up? If you have breathers create floor tiles as they move, it will make a difference for hounds that retreat back into a room. Otherwise, you lose the early warning system.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010, 19:11   #14
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I could imagine a scheme like this:

The information could be broadly considered auras, which would include noise, smells, feelings.

In addition to the ideas people have been mentioning, maybe a "you feel a draft" for being near stairs. Maybe noise (or different sorts of noise even) could supplement the attack-specific smell/feeling.

Player samples environment through the search command.

sampling at the beginning of a corridor might tell you about anything in the corridor. In the middle of the corridor, if you are within a certain distance of a side corridor or room, you might get information about the new terrain feature.

This would be directional, maybe with blinking floors or something to indicate , so if you search, you can subsequently "look" to get information on what lies in different directions.

This doesn't address whether (or how) running or resting should be interrupted.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2010, 19:48   #15
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I'm going to go ahead and attempt to implement different colored floors to indicate nearby breathing, and humanoid/animal monsters.

As d_m noted, while I think auras/smells/etc. are a good idea they belong in a different category. I think, changing the dungeon generation goes in line with altering the necessity of detection. Creating auras alters the necessity of ESP. These are related, but not quite the same.

I'm going to go with the darkening scheme, where you will have to look to see the difference between say poison and nether, but you will be able to see if the square is lit. I think I have figured out how to do this, but we'll see.

At first go, I will make these floors disturb running. If it's too burdensome I'll try to see if it's possible to add floor features to squelch.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2010, 07:22   #16
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
This brings to mind an idea I had for a unique orc character. In The Two Towers when the Fellowship enters Moria, and after Pippin drops a rock down a deep well, they begin to hear drums. I believe the chapter may have been called The Drums of the Deep, even... I had an idea that as long as the unique "Drummer of the Depths" was alive, the player could get regular notifications that they hear drums.That might be a bit problematic to code.

Anyways... I favour the idea of general alert messages: You smell smoke; You hear drums; You find a pile of large scales littering the floor; etc.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote