AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old December 9, 2010, 14:34   #1
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Feature request: Enemies awake upon TO

The title pretty much says it all. Sleeping enemies should be awakened upon being teleported away (teleport other). I'd like to see this considered for implementation in all variants who's current default behavior is 'you can TO a sleeping monster and it remains asleep'.

Without getting into the discussion of whether TO is overpowered or not, this seems pretty simple to me. Teleport other is a hostile action. It should be considered an attack for purposes of waking.

Secondly, it adds more strategic decision to the game. Right now, if you encounter a sleeping something you don't want to fight, then (assuming cheap and easy TO, which is common) you TO it and it remains asleep, and less likely to awake as it has probably been moved out of detection range. With the change, you have a choice to make. Either leave it sleeping (and sneak away/sneak around it), or TO it with the knowledge that it will be awakened in the process. You'll be safe for now, but may encounter additional danger later.
Old December 9, 2010, 14:45   #2
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
The title pretty much says it all. Sleeping enemies should be awakened upon being teleported away (teleport other). I'd like to see this considered for implementation in all variants who's current default behavior is 'you can TO a sleeping monster and it remains asleep'.

Without getting into the discussion of whether TO is overpowered or not, this seems pretty simple to me. Teleport other is a hostile action. It should be considered an attack for purposes of waking.

Secondly, it adds more strategic decision to the game. Right now, if you encounter a sleeping something you don't want to fight, then (assuming cheap and easy TO, which is common) you TO it and it remains asleep, and less likely to awake as it has probably been moved out of detection range. With the change, you have a choice to make. Either leave it sleeping (and sneak away/sneak around it), or TO it with the knowledge that it will be awakened in the process. You'll be safe for now, but may encounter additional danger later.
Is that really not the default already? I haven't played many variants, but I've never seen a TO'd monster stay asleep.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 15:19   #3
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Is that really not the default already? I haven't played many variants, but I've never seen a TO'd monster stay asleep.
I get my variants confused pretty easily. It's hard for me to keep track of which have which features. That's why I left the OP so vague. I'm thinking DaJ does it, and it probably inherited it from somewhere. My apologies if I'm completely wrong about this.
Old December 9, 2010, 16:36   #4
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure V does this already--at least, I have never TO'd a monster and then encountered it sleeping later. If you can verify that this is possible in V then I will gladly fix.
Old December 9, 2010, 17:57   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
From my reading of the project_m() code, it should always call mon_take_hit() for monsters that are touched by the effect, which in turn always calls wake_monster(). This happens regardless of damage dealt or if the monster is immune to the effect. As a simple demonstration, you can try using a Sleep Monster effect on a naturally-sleeping unsleepable monster (like a creeping copper coins); it will wake up.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 22:03   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I think this may be a bug which started in DAJ. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote