AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old March 28, 2012, 19:25   #11
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
not though additional characters that one has to mentally discard as neither an object nor a monster.
I have this exact problem with themed ASCII floor squares in Un. I didn't want them in Fay. But I find themed wall squares much easier to handle than themed floor squares.

You do have to be very careful when adding new terrain squares. You don't want too many, and every terrain feature should really matter.

I just use differently colored #'s for tables, platforms, and special walls.

I've added four special wall types but I also removed two, magma and quartz. They actually distract me much more than my new, differently coloured wall squares since they have different ASCII characters and not just colour.
Old March 28, 2012, 19:59   #12
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
I have this exact problem with themed ASCII floor squares in Un. I didn't want them in Fay. But I find themed wall squares much easier to handle than themed floor squares.

I just use differently colored #'s for tables, platforms, and special walls.
So, there will never be a table in the middle of a room? A particular color of wall indicates that a table is adjacent to it or a that section of wall contains a closet?
Old March 28, 2012, 20:02   #13
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
So, there will never be a table in the middle of a room? A particular color of wall indicates that a table is adjacent to it or a that section of wall contains a closet?
No no, tables and platforms are always inside the room, and they never touch walls. I'll take a screenshot, much easier than explaining.
Old March 28, 2012, 20:23   #14
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Here's a screenshot of a room with closets and a table. The player and a wizard of some sort are standing on a table, and a giant is on the floor.

I would probably want to fight the giant while standing on the table, because higher ground gives me defensive bonuses.

The closet gives away that the floor is trapped. It also tells me that this is a "civilized" area with persons, some kinds of humanoids, and golems, but animals only rarely.

After being searched the closet turns from green # to green =.

Name:  fay.gif
Views: 241
Size:  1.6 KB

Edit: that table is awfully large when you think about it. Usually tables are much smaller than that but still... Maybe I should change the scale of the map to smaller than 10 feet per square, or just abstract away the scale to "squares".

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; March 29, 2012 at 00:18.
Old March 30, 2012, 11:34   #15
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Re: tables and other furniture.

The scale of Angband is huge, assuming that each grid is 10 ft * 10 ft. (Is it? Or is it left purposely vague?) Most furniture I can think of would only take one grid. That makes adding tactically interesting furniture a bit challenging.

I decided to make the scale of Fay smaller, 5 ft * 5 ft per square.

I also made tables much smaller. IMO the smallest practical size for a table is 2*2, because then you can easily see when the player, monster or an object is on a table:

#@
##

I decided to make either the width or length of a table almost always exactly 2. (The only exception is 3*3 tables that are sometimes generated.)
Old March 30, 2012, 16:12   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Scale in Angband is wonky, and IMO the 10' tile rule is overly explicit; we'd be better off with vagueness. Otherwise you start wondering why a white icky thing takes up the same amount of space as Ungoliant, or why monsters will throw their items up to 20' away when they die.
Old March 30, 2012, 16:30   #17
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Scale in Angband is wonky, and IMO the 10' tile rule is overly explicit; we'd be better off with vagueness. Otherwise you start wondering why a white icky thing takes up the same amount of space as Ungoliant, or why monsters will throw their items up to 20' away when they die.
or why no more than one louse can fit in a 10ft x 10ft space

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
Old March 30, 2012, 23:38   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
It's much more messed up in wilderness. The whole of Beleriand is about 12 miles from far south to far north.
Old March 30, 2012, 23:50   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It's much more messed up in wilderness. The whole of Beleriand is about 12 miles from far south to far north.
This is one reason why I generally prefer "overworlds" in most RPGs I play, such that a town might take up only one or two tiles on the world map while being much bigger once you actually enter it. Otherwise things often feel really small. Given that, 12 miles is actually pretty impressive.
Old March 31, 2012, 15:19   #20
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

I decided to start using squares instead of feet.

In old D&D the default moving distances and ranges applied only underground. Above ground everything was multiplied by 3, IIRC.