AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 31, 2013, 21:38   #41
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
Yep, Morgoth should constantly use Mana Storm until you run out of Healing, *Healing*, and Life potions. Then you'll have to run away to restock or he can just Mana Storm you to death.
Yeah, Morgoth really is dumb.
If he had any sense he'd just stand at the bottom of the stairs to dlvl1 and Grond anyone on the head that comes down.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 22:32   #42
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
Actually, isn't Carcharoth supposed to be standing guard at the entrance to Angband?
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 22:39   #43
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Yeah, Morgoth really is dumb.
If he had any sense he'd just stand at the bottom of the stairs to dlvl1 and Grond anyone on the head that comes down.
You'd think he would just head UP those stairs and level the town once and for all. That ought to solve the problem with pesky adventurers buying houses there.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 23:55   #44
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
You'd think he would just head UP those stairs and level the town once and for all. That ought to solve the problem with pesky adventurers buying houses there.
I suspect he actually encourages the ebb and flow of items up and down the dungeon because he owns all the businesses up top, and runs them as a front for his company running research into a new brand of Sil removal cream.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013, 14:57   #45
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
The adventurers at 50' aren't worth any experience and don't carry much treasure, either.

It's fine when you're starting out- a kobold kills a few novice adventurers, and bam- large kobold. But as Lord of Darkness? You'd be grinding all year...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013, 19:02   #46
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
First version I ever played was 2.8.2. Current version is surely a better game, no question about that. There is no Globe of Invulnerability now. Still it's easier due to few things:
- rods/staves/wands stacks
- ammo quiver
- floor stacks
- squelch
- lot of new cool items

And I like that, I wouldn't mind to see more ego types and user interface improvements like 'h' shoot command. I like randarts along with regular artifacts like in few variants. Yes, it makes game easier but for me that's the fun part of the game. Thrill of being able to find ring of speed (+2x0) or some unimaginable randart even if it's almost unpossible.

Problem in current version is game gives us much too much. Cursed ammo, weapons, armor are gone. There is nothing exceptional in finding early ego items. That used to be rare. It's hard too run out of supply: I squelch Teleport Level because I know I will have more than enough *Destruction* scrolls, I squelch Rod of Speed and Staff of Speed because Potions of Speed are everywhere.

Last edited by eMeM; June 4, 2013 at 11:11.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013, 04:18   #47
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
Problem in current version is game gives us much too much. Cursed ammo, weapons, armor are gone. There is nothing exceptional in finding early ego items. That used too be rare. It's hard too run out of supply: I squelch Teleport Level because I know I will have more than enough *Destruction* scrolls, I squelch Rod of Speed and Staff of Speed because Potions of Speed are everywhere.
They were everywhere in the past too, you just had to scum more. That's the thing with an infinite dungeon, even if you only get one per 100 levels, it's still an infinite supply, just mind-numbingly boring to amass.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013, 18:56   #48
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
They were everywhere in the past too, you just had to scum more. That's the thing with an infinite dungeon, even if you only get one per 100 levels, it's still an infinite supply, just mind-numbingly boring to amass.
Which is fine by me unless they are necessary to have. It's the difference between:

1) This I really need - you shouldn't have to scum for these items.
2) This is really nice/useful to have - If a player scums for that, tedium is his own fault.

My preference is for less of the more powerful objects, it makes finding things more special, instead of oh a longsword(+2,+2) how boring - squelch, though I suspect I'm in the minority there.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013, 20:00   #49
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Which is fine by me unless they are necessary to have. It's the difference between:

1) This I really need - you shouldn't have to scum for these items.
2) This is really nice/useful to have - If a player scums for that, tedium is his own fault.

My preference is for less of the more powerful objects, it makes finding things more special, instead of oh a longsword(+2,+2) how boring - squelch, though I suspect I'm in the minority there.
wait is a longsword +2, +2 supposed to be special?

My last few winners did not find a staff of the magi or a staff of banishment. I had maybe 2-3 ?mass banishment total. Most of my endgame gear came from unique slaying, which I think is good, and independent of dive speed.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013, 20:38   #50
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
wait is a longsword +2, +2 supposed to be special?

My last few winners did not find a staff of the magi or a staff of banishment. I had maybe 2-3 ?mass banishment total. Most of my endgame gear came from unique slaying, which I think is good, and independent of dive speed.
Should it be boring? Ok, I grant my example is not the best. But let me ask you a question then: Are there artifacts in the game which you find & are disappointed by? How many of the items that you say people would scum for if they were rarer, are actually necessary to playing an interesting, fun game & how many are items they expect because they're used to finding them commonly available?

Reducing the quantity of some items would make some people scum more & others learn to live without. I'm not necessarily saying this is something that should be done. It just seems to me that every time someone suggest reducing the number of high powered items, the answer comes back as "well if you play every level a million times you can find as many of every item you might want". True, but would you?

Anyways just my opinion, the more common the better items you put in the less interesting they become & the more lesser items become junk. Hope I'm not coming across as too argumentative.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote