Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 20, 2013, 19:25   #301
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Actually, I have Orcrist, and am Evasion-heavy. So I picked up Two-Weapon Fighting instead, since it was a difference of +3 Evasion ... oh, the mighty offhand Deathblade is amazing. I just beat down Gothmog in single combat at 950' and am about to enter the throne room...
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013, 21:08   #302
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Oh my goodness. I just found a +9 Deathblade. Not a typo.

Maybe I can finally win this game....
I think only 1 in 512 are +9 or better. That is a fine weapon! Maybe so fine that we'll have to tone that down in the future? It is probably still weaker than some of the artefacts though, so maybe it is OK. Do have fun with it!
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013, 21:49   #303
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Hope not. The probabilities are pretty transparent. Maybe one game out of several hundred a player will find a fantastic blade like that. That's not a bad thing.

Curious - is there justification within JRRT for deathblased? I love'em, cool idea for the game, even though I no longer play stabbers.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013, 23:20   #304
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Hope not. The probabilities are pretty transparent. Maybe one game out of several hundred a player will find a fantastic blade like that. That's not a bad thing.
Yeah, I'm not worried by the 1 in 512 chance of a +9 one, but more by the fact that even an +5 one is pretty crazy and maybe that happens more often than I thought.

Quote:
Curious - is there justification within JRRT for deathblased? I love'em, cool idea for the game, even though I no longer play stabbers.
No, there isn't. They are probably one of the more theme-conflicting things in the game as they feel a bit more swords and sorcery-ish. That said, I think Tolkien referred to werewolves and vampires and giant spiders as demons and it sword-demons wouldn't be too unbelievable.

They were designed to be a reference to the deathblade weapon (not monster) in the first roguelike I played: the under appreciated Mac game 'Dungeon of Doom':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dungeon_Revealed

I can't remember why I decided to make them into a creature as well. It was probably unconsciously inspired by Stormbringer, though I hadn't read any of the Elric books.
Old June 20, 2013, 23:54   #305
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Yeah, I'm not worried by the 1 in 512 chance of a +9 one, but more by the fact that even an +5 one is pretty crazy and maybe that happens more often than I thought.
I don't think it happens more often than you thought, it is just that nobody reports "Oh, I found a +0/+1 deathblade. My 1lb shortsword from 100ft is like ten times better." And usually people already specialized in a way that even the most awesome deathblade isn't really efficiently used if at all. - Do I sound frustrated? Yes, I am trying a light weapon build these days but I never found a deathblade higher than +3 and that one was Delmereth.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013, 23:57   #306
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
And usually people already specialized in a way that even the most awesome deathblade isn't really efficiently used if at all.
That would be me, holding a +10 deathblade... er, I was holding a +10 deathblade until I got disarmed. I think I might have been holding the sharp end, and stabbing with the pommel.

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=2192
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 01:16   #307
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Being able to find arbitrarily strong equipment if you're super lucky is exciting. And, after all, in this kind of game, no one insanely good piece of equipment can prevent you from dying due to bad play.
Old June 21, 2013, 08:47   #308
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Being able to find arbitrarily strong equipment if you're super lucky is exciting. And, after all, in this kind of game, no one insanely good piece of equipment can prevent you from dying due to bad play.
I would have to concur with the above, as it just happened with my best Smithing character, 'TheHugoHorror.' I was lucky enough to get the artifacts and enchanted equipment giving me Smithing bonuses, as high as 25 (with Song of Aule). Then upon working on 950ft, and looking for the last forge opportunity I got ambushed near Gothmog's Halls by Gothmog and his gang. In the end, I realized that I *completely forgot* to take off Feanor's crown as well even change into the Galvorn Armour of Resilience. (Feanor's crown aggravates)

There that one goes...
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 10:48   #309
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
That's true. For what its worth, I was considering changing it from a half chance of increasing the bonus and then trying again until failure to a one third chance. I agree that it may well be fine now. I suppose the main question is how many deathblades people encounter per game. I'd been assuming it is very few (2 to 5), in which case your best blade will be about +2 on average. If it is more like 8 or 16, that changes things, as I wouldn't want people to be able to get +5 one out of two games in which they wanted it.
Old June 21, 2013, 17:44   #310
Ondrej
Rookie

Ondrej is on a distinguished road
Hi half,

thanks for the great variant, I really like it!

I already managed to win once and I have two feature requests regarding smithing:
1. Several times I lost my prepared item because of left arrow leaving smithing screen. If possible I would prefer to leave it just with ESC key like all other screens in the game.
2. I would prefer to have a option which will ask me if I want to create this artifact because I forgot to change default artifact name 'of Character name' few times and then equipment and inventory screens are looking quite dull... So after clicking on 'f) Accept' I would like to see something like:
'Are you sure you want to create this Crown of Ondrej? [y/n]'

What do you think about it?
Ondrej is offline   Reply With Quote