AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 25, 2013, 22:06   #181
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
What if you just kept all the fine/special stuff the same, but simply increased the average stack size for daggers, spears, and throwing axes? That way I can choose between carrying around e.g. 10-12 vanilla spears, or five fine spears of doriath?

Also, throwing axes could definitely stand to have some of their special types trimmed IMO. A throwing axe that gives whirlwind or follow-through is not very useful, even if we are considering using them as melee weapons in certain situations.
Good points!
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013, 23:23   #182
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Another option would be to have a quiver-style dedicated slot where you could keep a few different types of throwing weapon.
Old June 26, 2013, 00:42   #183
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
I agree somewhat with Derakon... separating them would be the easiest way BUT (even if Sil is not at all simulationist):

I simply don't see what a hand axe as opposed to a battle axe is supposed to be. Workable battle axes had fairly small heads as opposed to oversized depictions so common in fantasy, I don't see how you find a smaller axe category. Most common axes for wood splitting etc. have in fact a larger head than battle axes. (You want gravity to help you when splitting wood etc. but you want a weapon more balanced.)

I usually don't use daggers other than daggers of accompaniment when found early or the sharp artefacts.

For spears one of the attractions is that you can use them both ways, especially with slays and with the branded artefacts. Dividing javelin/spear will lose that - and most likely both categories will be used less. Spears are also realistically the easiest throwing weapon most comfortable for dual use, you don't need specially balanced weapons which rotate and need special training to hit point first with a spear.

To conclude: I tend to divide daggers / throwing knives, make throwing axes a dedicated throwing weapon (or get rid of them altogether) and keep spears as they are.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013, 03:54   #184
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I'm pretty sure I won't do this. I'm very happy with the limited range of weapons in Sil and am not interested in solutions to this rather small problem that involve adding things. The design philosophy of Sil is much more about subtracting things (e.g. removing special item types from throwing weapons).
Yeah I'd rather the weapon types stay the way there are as well. The idea of javelins and throwing knives rubs me the wrong way. I'm a viking, not a decathlete!
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013, 11:47   #185
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
I should clarify that I see this as a small problem. Throwing works at the moment, it is just not quite as useful or as good interface-wise as it could be. I think it is already better than in most roguelikes, and I'm not sure there is that much room for improvement. For example, even if Sil had the best throwing system of all roguelikes, my guess is that people would still not use throwing weapons much.

I'm thus not considering solutions that involve much coding time or adding complexity or new systems to the game. For example, adding a V style quiver would mean both a lot of coding and a brand new additional system in the game. Also, while it would add realism to throwing item inventory management, it would then make the user question why staffs or herbs don't work the same way.

I'm just looking for a small tweak that fixes most of the problem. Increasing stack sizes and removing some of the special types are good examples. I'll do these and might do something else of the same ilk too.

Sorry for derailing your thread debo!
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013, 13:38   #186
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry for derailing your thread debo!
No worries It didn't really have rails to begin with. It looks like some progress was made on thinking about throwing weapons, which is great!

In recent news, I have a new (very long) episode to upload, just have to find a clear block of time to do it. Should be in the next 24 hrs!
Old June 26, 2013, 15:24   #187
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I won't do this. I'm very happy with the limited range of weapons in Sil and am not interested in solutions to this rather small problem that involve adding things. The design philosophy of Sil is much more about subtracting things (e.g. removing special item types from throwing weapons).
Thank goodness for that. What would be the point of carrying around daggers that you can't throw?
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013, 21:40   #188
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Not cool, Debo. I keep hitting refresh all day at work.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013, 04:20   #189
debo
Veteran

Sorry lol

It's uploading now, should be ready in an hour or so. It will be available here:

Edit: Ack, the upload failed overnight. I'll have to try again later

Last edited by debo; June 27, 2013 at 12:24.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:58   #190
debo
Veteran

OK new episode is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=196HPnTTNkU