Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old October 13, 2014, 20:02   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Regardless of failure rates, you should invest heavily in Teleport Other. The problem with Teleport is that it lands you in an unknown tile, which could easily be, say, within LOS of an awake and angry monster. Teleport Other leaves you right where you are, and is thus often much safer.

But yeah, that 5% failure rate will get you killed eventually. Ranger utility spells are handy, but they're not to be relied on in an emergency.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 01:57   #12
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
I definitely recommend the no_selling option. I find hauling half an inventory of crap to sell back to town every couple of levels to be incredibly boring, and as previously stated it opens you up to make use out of things you may have deemed "useless" before. Prior to using no selling I don't think I ever used a wand of slow monster, or a staff of sleep monster. Granted these things don't stay useful for very long, but they can actually be very useful assets early game when you are likely to find them when you're not concerned about filling up with useless ego's for gold.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 03:40   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
very careful about anything fast enough to get in two attacks before you get a chance to panic.
"get chance to panic"

In other words, speed kills. Detection (incl. ESP) > escapes (incl. FA etc.) > HP > healing > damage you deliver > resistances (except basic4+poison).

All of these obviously until you reach some point where more doesn't help you much.

Speed is a bit difficult to put in that list, because it affects three things in that list: escapes, healing and damage you deliver. Double the speed and you double the damage you do to monsters, get double chances to avoid monsters and double time to heal while in the fight. It's overall survival thing. Double-speed even doubles you stealth (monsters get half the turns to wake up).

Resistances is the last in that list. Mostly you want those to prevent nasty side-effects much more than for avoiding damage. Best way to avoid damage it to not get hit in the first place. Pick your fights, don't let monsters do that.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 13:07   #14
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Speed affect detection, it matters most at fist turn on a new level, less chance to detect and then die to hound pack next turn, It also indirectly affect stealth. Speed is a top priority.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 19:34   #15
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Since no one's mentioned it, I'll give a shout out to the drolem as another gas-breather capable of InstaDeath that starts showing up once you're past 2000 feet. It's invisible to telepathy to boot.

Before I got on the forums and adopted the detection-heavy/diving techniques, I would never go down past 2000 without permanent resist poison in place. Too many games ended with "It breathes gas. You die."
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 20:24   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Drolems are not and have never been native to 2000'; you could have seen them earlier or later and were never truly safe anywhere anyway.

In any event, they've been moved deeper into the dungeon, I believe, and they're incredibly rare monsters anyway. I don't think my characters ever see more than 2 or 3 of them in a given game. And they're pretty slow to wake, to boot. I think the "It breathes. You die." thing has been really overstated.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014, 21:39   #17
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Drolems are level 44 in 3.5, which is what I recall from the old days, though as you say they're rare and have the FORCE_SLEEP flag.

I'm curious though if others have any particular transition depth at which they really like to have rPoison, or if people just use detection/evasion to the extent it's irrelevant? I'd always tried for free action by 1000', rPoison by 2000' but I'm curious if that's considered obsolete.
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2014, 10:56   #18
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tom View Post
Drolems are level 44 in 3.5, which is what I recall from the old days, though as you say they're rare and have the FORCE_SLEEP flag.
Unless this has been changed FORCE_SLEEP doesn't really have anything to do with sleep. It is/was a flag that prevented monsters to use their spells (including breaths) before player have got at least one turn onto level.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014, 11:14   #19
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tom View Post
Since no one's mentioned it, I'll give a shout out to the drolem as another gas-breather capable of InstaDeath that starts showing up once you're past 2000 feet. It's invisible to telepathy to boot.

Before I got on the forums and adopted the detection-heavy/diving techniques, I would never go down past 2000 without permanent resist poison in place. Too many games ended with "It breathes gas. You die."
It's not drolems, it's some sort of hounds. Forgot which ones breathe gas.
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014, 13:42   #20
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Air hounds? TBH I'm not sure I've ever been killed by Air hounds. They don't do that much damage even unresisted, unless you happen to walk into the middle of a large room that's filled with a packs of them. If you are using detection properly you should be able to either kill them 1 at a time or get away from them before they can manage to kill you.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote