AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 29, 2014, 19:26   #51
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
What true two-hander shines enough to make up for the weight late game?
Saithnar, Calris, Gaurin, and Glend
Old October 30, 2014, 03:04   #52
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
All fun weapons.
The trouble is Glend is the same damage output of Dramborleg pre-slay and at double the weight.

Calris has the accuracy and weight of a mattock and oddly enough on a high strength character isn't doing much more damage. Power and 7str Calris is 4-60, the mattock is 5-50. Perhaps a little unfair as that's on the charge, but on a fire resistant enemy such as a balrog, a plain mattocks will match it from 3str & power and a fine mattocks (do you have to build these? or will they actually drop?) is out performing it.

Saithnar is great when it drops, of course and I'm not sure I've actually seen Gaurin.

Edit: I honestly think after early/midgame the heavy 2hnders suit low str/melee like a smith or non-lorien doriath. You can't reliably critical and you can't punch through with the long sword but you can grab charge and still punch through on raw damage. Particularly with song of sharpness.

Last edited by wobbly; October 30, 2014 at 05:39.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014, 16:31   #53
bagori nd
Apprentice

bagori nd is on a distinguished road
Here's an idea that might be OP/too complicated but maybe people might like: what about getting rid of Momentum, but building its effect into certain weapons (i.e. mithril swords and maybe a couple other items like Aeglos and Narsil).

I think the biggest problem with just getting rid of Momentum is that without it, mithril swords would not be worth using. Even if you just started with 2 points in Strength, you'll likely have at least 3 by the time you find them--too much for longswords, and for charging with greatswords. (Rapid Attack doesn't help much: it's usually better just to go for the heavier weapon.)

Giving them a free Momentum-like effect would make them worth using without having the side effect of making ordinary two-handers obsolete. It would be a nontrivial buff to mithril swords themselves, though, but since they come up so late in the game I think this is actually a good thing. The player is likely to have an artifact or really good ego weapon by the time they show up in numbers anyway, so even with the buff it's unlikely that randomly-generated mithril weapons will overshadow what the player already has.
bagori nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014, 18:13   #54
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
I agree that the power side of things is lackluster and not very appealing. Similarly, low evasion/high protection was made worse in the last version too, all of the monster changes are much easier to deal with high evasion and flanking.
Interesting points. I just drew a diagram of the current Melee ability tree and it is indeed skewed in favour of Finesse. For example, Finesse leads to 4 things, 2 of which are impossible without it. Power leads to 2 things, neither of which is impossible without it. The big difference was that we replaced Stun with Momentum and changed one of its pre-reqs from Power to Follow-Through (which Finesse can lead to). Perhaps it would be better if the pre-req was Power. I'm open to suggestions on this. We were not intending to nerf the power side of the tree.

From memory, we also were not intending to skew the monsters to be easier with Evasion/Flanking. So we may have hurt some of the balance in the game when making other changes.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014, 18:25   #55
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
I agree that the power side of things is lackluster and not very appealing. Similarly, low evasion/high protection was made worse in the last version too, all of the monster changes are much easier to deal with high evasion and flanking.
Can you elaborate? Flanking easterlings, charging orc warriors or exchanging cats? Or ?
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014, 19:16   #56
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Can you elaborate? Flanking easterlings, charging orc warriors or exchanging cats? Or ?
Those are all examples of flanking, I shouldn't have mentioned flanking specifically I suppose. It's just that anything with an effect on its melee (or ranged) is going to be much worse when you have very low evasion and rely on protection. The wights draining stats is an example, you are both more likely to get hit and since it's a touch attack (without damage) your higher protection doesn't help you. Poison works the same way, and there are some very major poison threats later on. I think the only thing going super heavy on protection has going for it is that it's fun and comparitively low investment (which can go into smithing etc).
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014, 06:39   #57
wobbly
Veteran

I don't understand the poison bit. Isn't it a bite (armour helps) or breath (evasion won't help). Orc charge favours flanking (as you can move to ruin their charge) and the way they chain charge makes low melee tanks (like mail, kite shield, gauntlets) life very hard as you have to kill them quicker before they get to many. Blocking is ineffective, they get too many, they punch through & they exchange and charge on the same round. Cat warriors were always hard on high protection, now harder. I don't mind this, you can take crowd fighting and exchange places yourself. (Side note, very funny with riposte against cats - like your dancing with them)

Edit: high protection is still the easiest way of dealing with archers

Last edited by wobbly; October 31, 2014 at 07:09.
Old October 31, 2014, 10:57   #58
absolutego
Scout

absolutego is on a distinguished road
anything with a melee brand is way worse with low evasion. poison piles up really fast, and the fire/cold raukos (even snow trolls) hit very hard and destroy items (at least i think ururaukar do?).

there's also the fact that abilities like blocking or heavy armour force you into certain items, while dodging/flanking works on every character.

and i imagine that many people don't care about this, but if you intend to fight morgoth, he's simply awful with low evasion (something about the earthquakes' trigger).

Quote:
I don't understand the poison bit.
i nearly always take poison resistance from the will tree whenever i go heavy protection. you shouldn't die to distended spiders unless your evasion is in the dumps early on, but werewolf packs and ancient spiders are awful.

Quote:
high protection is still the easiest way of dealing with archers
true, but their AI is so deterministic that i just don't care about archers.
cat assassins are probably the single worst threat to no-prot characters, but that's about it.

Quote:
Perhaps it would be better if the pre-req was Power
i'd rather see the power tree improved than momentum made more expensive. if it comes to that i would rather nerf it somehow (momentum is so good that you'll probably get it anyway?).

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions on this. We were not intending to nerf the power side of the tree.
my main gripe on this is that i just don't like knock-back(*). it's useless against groups and counter-productive against certain monsters (e.g. anything that breathes, unless you really need the charge bonus) and a pain to toggle.

so the core abilities of the power tree are power, charge, and that's about it until strength (i would rather take momentum than knock-back on my way to strength even if i'm using a very heavy weapon, because i can always find a better, lighter weapon, and criticals are really good). maybe the rapid attack pre-req could be moved from subtlety to the power tree? it's probably a fun ability, but i've only ever taken it right before the throne room because it's so awkward to get.

(*) chain-charge-knock-back would be cute if it actually worked i guess. flank-charge against walls is fun but really situational.

Quote:
Stun
i started playing sil after this was removed. was it really unbalanced? it seems like the sort of thing that could differentiate the tree.
absolutego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 06:50   #59
wobbly
Veteran

Been doing a few test runs of high evasion & I'm seeing what people mean here. This dwarf is hardly high evasion but he's about as high as I can get & still take artifice at the 1st forge & he's naked to boot:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16926

A Beor, Glamdring ruined him as a tester but up until 500' he only had 1 melee/will/stealth/perception, 3 archery around orc thief depth & the rest evasion. The biggest issue was no see-invisible at 600' & just a torch for light at 700':

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16922

A Feanor played in kamakazie style to 450'. I'm just diving, fighting carelessly in the centre of rooms instead of sensibly:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16923

Starting to think that for the 1st 500' the best strategy is nothing but evasion. You can fight fine with out melee. Maybe you need a little will for resistance & a bow for insects(you can kill them without but it's so tedious)

Edit: Perhaps I need to withdraw my earlier statements, I may of come down with a case of foot-in-mouth:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16931

Last edited by wobbly; November 5, 2014 at 19:13.
Old November 4, 2014, 08:42   #60
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutego View Post
my main gripe on this is that i just don't like knock-back(*). it's useless against groups and counter-productive against certain monsters (e.g. anything that breathes, unless you really need the charge bonus) and a pain to toggle.
two-handed polearm + knockback is probably the melee build best able to handle lack of resists (by knocking back serpents around corners).

@clouded: i don't agree that all the changes are easier to high evasion chars. orc charge gives a +3 to hit as well, easterlings are about immune against flanking tactics now and cats exchanging you out of your corridor in a surrounded position in the middle of a room can be as deadly to high evasion chars as it might be to low evasion (but high armour, critical resist) ones.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote