Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 13, 2007, 15:26   #1
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Feature & game_balancing requests

I have one main feature request, and that's to add the delayed level feeling which I first encountered in Z (or at least an option). It basically makes no sense that you need to spend a certain amount of time in place x to get a grasp on place y. I know that the "looks the same as any other level" idea was implemented to make stair-scumming less abusable, but having to spend time in place x to learn about place x deals with it about as well, but more believably.

OK, pack AI - smart packs is a good thing, but occasionally it works against the monsters. I'm not sure if these suggestions would be too awkward or inefficient to bother with, but I propose that:

1 - pack monsters only use the pack ai when there is actually a pack of them remaining. I often find that the last cave orc in a room becomes a sitting duck when he spends two moves trying to surround me all by himself;

&2 - pack monsters should follow you into corridors more often when your health is critical and/or your character is afraid. (Just think of wolves smelling fear, howling wildly at their weakened prey, as they close in for the kill - they'd hardly give up because only one of them could bite you at time!) The current behaviour seems to make it too easy to nip off and rest.

Speaking of being afraid, I think that maybe a spell-casting fail chance and ranged to hit penalty should be applied when afraid; currently rangers and (especially) mages can pretty much just laugh in the face of fear, yet warriors(!) are hit hardest - it also might make !Boldness slightly more useful.

My last suggestion is to make light dimming attacks more potent (ie reduce turns of light by more points per attack); i don't ever remember the abilities of silver jellies and mice causing a problem for me. Its possible that other creatures later in the game are much better at these sort of attacks, but I wouldn't know - the PoG has always made this power irrelevant.

Last edited by Daven_26d1; July 13, 2007 at 15:32.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 20:29   #2
Elsairon
Adept

Elsairon is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of light dimming attacks temporarily reducing the light radius of the character. (maybe blowing out the lantern or torch, needing a relight)

This would have a significant game-play effect, rather than just the annoyance of a needing to refuel, or simply ignoring the attack because a permanent light source is immune to light draining.

Perhaps artifact lights would have a minimum lit radius.

Last edited by Elsairon; July 13, 2007 at 20:50.
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007, 00:49   #3
Daven_26d1
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
I like the idea of light dimming attacks temporarily reducing the light radius of the character. (maybe blowing out the lantern or torch, needing a relight)
Sounds like a really cool idea, but nowhere near as effective as blinding.

Quote:
Perhaps artifact lights would have a minimum lit radius.
I would suggest radius 1 if the player has 1+ sources of permanent light, and 0 otherwise. Could be really atmospheric under some situations, as the light dims and expands again.
Old July 14, 2007, 04:05   #4
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven_26d1 View Post
Speaking of being afraid, I think that maybe a spell-casting fail chance and ranged to hit penalty should be applied when afraid; currently rangers and (especially) mages can pretty much just laugh in the face of fear, yet warriors(!) are hit hardest - it also might make !Boldness slightly more useful.
I've never really liked how fear for the player works. I was think about how I would change it if I ever make a variant:

First of all, fear shouldn't prevent the player from attacking all the time. There should still always be a (small) chance of attacking.

Fear should not affect melee all the time and not affect spells/shooting at all. I decided that the best way to change this is (if the player is afraid) to base the chance of failure of melee/offensive spells/shooting on how close the closest monster is. eg. the chance of failure is perhaps [(20-dist)*5%], where dist is the distance between the player and the closest monster to the player. So, if there is a monster right beside the player, there is only a 5% chance of attacking (using any method). If the monster is about ten grids away, the player can attack about half the time. This maintains the current system where melee is primarily affected by fear (more so than the other two attack forms), but still makes some effect on archery and spells.

After all, I'd be a lot more scared if I were shooting a scary monster that was right beside me, attacking me, than if it were several yards away.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007, 19:08   #5
Daven_26d1
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
After all, I'd be a lot more scared if I were shooting a scary monster that was right beside me, attacking me, than if it were several yards away.
Here, here. It's point-blank shooting & casting that I have the biggest issue with. I think 50% fail due to fear is actually too harsh at a distance of 10 grids mind.
Old July 14, 2007, 20:53   #6
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven_26d1 View Post
Here, here. It's point-blank shooting & casting that I have the biggest issue with. I think 50% fail due to fear is actually too harsh at a distance of 10 grids mind.
Sure, I just picked the number twenty of the top of my head. Fifteen or ten may be more appropriate (with some kind of minimum fail rate also, perhaps).
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007, 23:52   #7
Daven_26d1
Adept

Yeah, its obviously an idea that needs a bit of polishing. I was thinking earlier about the way monsters run when they are afraid, but the player would never retreat except for logical/strategic purposes - not something usually associated with mortal terror!
A nice idea might be for potential panic when something casts fear, causing the character to spend their next turn (or longer?) running in the opposite direction; whether this would play well in practice remains to be seen.

EDIT - "You mess up your casting because your hands are shaking violently!"
or something to that effect might be a nice fear related spellfail msg.