AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 2, 2009, 04:34   #1
Nightmarjoo
Adept

Nightmarjoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nightmarjoo Send a message via MSN to Nightmarjoo
This place seems reasonably safe.

I just found a random artifact on the ground of a place with "this place seems reasonably safe" at 1350'. Do artifacts not effect special feelings anymore if "lose artifacts when leaving level" is off? Special feelings seem relatively useless at this point ._. I remember "you have a special feeling" used to nearly 100% mean artifact/jelly pit.

My second winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9369 Cailet, the Hobbit Mage!

Damned be those who use High Elves, for they are the race of the weak!
Nightmarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009, 04:51   #2
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
If "Lose artifacts when leaving level" = no then you will never get a "special" feeling. This has been the case for a long time. "Special" is a warning for those playing without preserving artifacts that there may be an artifact on the level. Having it also set for various pits is just so you can't count on finding an artifact, things would be too easy that way.

Vanilla 3.1.x does seem to generate some really nice items without a corresponding increase in feeling. This could be because a monster dropped it or the calculation of level feelings needs some adjustment.

Last edited by Bill Peterson; September 2, 2009 at 04:59.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009, 05:08   #3
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I don't have a horse in the race, but I think many of the devs want to phase out level feelings, although I think enough people still like them that they haven't been removed yet. This is just my impression.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:28   #4
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
I'll cop to it. I really like the level feelings and would be saddened to see them go. I do think that they need to be rejiggered, tho'. I think that the feelings should be generated based on the single best piece of equipment or single most dangerous monster on the level, rather than some cumulative formula.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009, 07:50   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I like level feelings--I mostly ignore them, but it does add some nice flavor, and every now and then, falling for an early "good" feeling can lead to some spectacular luck.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009, 15:50   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I don't have a horse in the race, but I think many of the devs want to phase out level feelings, although I think enough people still like them that they haven't been removed yet. This is just my impression.
I would say that I see a certain amount of dissatisfaction with the current implementation of level feelings, but not necessarily a desire to get rid of them altogether.

Personally I really liked whoeveritwas's suggestion that level feelings should contain two components - a "danger" component which is about the nastiness of monsters per square foot, and a "loot" component which is about the treasure on the ground (or indeed carried by monsters, if we go down the route of generating drops at level gen time). So you could end up with lots of different combinations.

There may be other even better solutions, but whatever is implemented has to solve the current problem of jelly pits appearing to "improve" the feeling, which is nonsense.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009, 21:22   #7
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post

There may be other even better solutions, but whatever is implemented has to solve the current problem of jelly pits appearing to "improve" the feeling, which is nonsense.
You feel like you need a bath.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009, 13:49   #8
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
I don't know if any other variants have it, but I quite like the system in Sangband where, as well as the normal level feeling, if you have good perception you can get 'precognition' messages on entering a level, eg 'you sense a presence/powerful presence' for a unique, 'you sense a dangerous/very dangerous place' for a vault etc.

I do find it quite annoying that these messages are sometimes inaccurate so you can spend ages searching the level for a unique which isn't there, but overall I think the idea has potential.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009, 20:34   #9
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
I'd be all for something that reads like: "you suspect few/valuable/priceless treasures are hidden here, guarded by weak/average/fearsome foes"

but that might be more a variant thing.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2009, 03:05   #10
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
are there any variants that make use of wall inscriptions to give information about the contents of a level? I think it would be fun to have dwarf-fortress style wall or floor inscriptions (i.e. with potentially amusing and somewhat randomly generated text) near the stairs that the player could look at.

"This wall is carved to show a large dragon surrounded by dwarves. The dragon is breathing flames on the dwarves. The dragon sits atop a pile of treasure. The dwarves are dying"

"This wall is carved to show a group of orcs. The orcs are guarding an ancient treasure!"

"This section of floor is carved to show a hulking menace in the shadows of a large room"
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote