Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 7, 2009, 05:14   #1
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
speed display

There was a discussion on the recharge time in the thread on the r1683 bugs thread. In that discussion, someone (I think Eddie) suggested that turns be replaced with number of seconds, 10 seconds making a normal turn. I think this was dropped from the conversation, but I want to bring it back up.

Right now, the speed calculation is very opaque. It's one of those complicated table calculations where if you want to know exactly what your speed multiplier translates to, you have to look it up. Nevertheless, you learn from experience or spoilers that +10 = twice as fast as 0, and +20 is three times as fast. This is not apparent at all to a new player, and this is a problem. Even veterans are unlikely to tell you how many turns you get compared to a normal speed monster if your speed is +7 or +14.

I recommend altering the display, adding another line after the +/- speed line where it says something like 1 turn = 10.0 seconds. (you could conceivably add a second line that says 1 shot = 10.0 seconds. AFAIK that is the only action that takes more or less time.)

Then as you increase your speed, you can see exactly how fast you are in a straightforward and easily understandable way. Then, all recharge times can be changed to seconds, all spell durations can be changed to seconds (or are they player turns? either way, you can choose) All monster descriptions should be changed to, "takes about 20.0, 10.0, 5.0, 3.3, or 2.5 seconds to move."
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 05:51   #2
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I think the 'C' screen should display speed as a percentage. +0 speed = 100%. -10 speed = 50%. +30 speed = 380%. I.e. display energy * 10% rather than the speed difference.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 09:01   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I think the 'C' screen should display speed as a percentage. +0 speed = 100%. -10 speed = 50%. +30 speed = 380%. I.e. display energy * 10% rather than the speed difference.
I think this is better than using seconds.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 09:37   #4
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Works for me.
Old November 7, 2009, 16:03   #5
tummychow
Apprentice

tummychow is on a distinguished road
Will we still be able to see the number?
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 16:59   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummychow View Post
Will we still be able to see the number?
Depends how it's implemented. There isn't a lot of space on the main screen status bar, so I think we have to choose between the number and the percent - but I may be wrong. Certainly you can show both on the C screen, because there's a spare row.
Old November 7, 2009, 18:22   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I think this is better than using seconds.
That's a little better. I can't help but think that there an even better solution.

In any case, adding Haste and Slow flags to the status area would eliminate any confusion concerning the speed altering effects that you are experiencing.
I'm assuming that
1) all hasting and slowing have equal effects,
2) you can only be subject to one form or haste, or slow, or one of each at a time, and
3) that all forms of haste or slow, active simultaneously, will negate each other.

Now that I think about it, I'm confused. How does slow work? Is it a 50% reduction, or -10? I thought it was -10, but -10 would paralyze you at normal speed.
Old November 7, 2009, 18:28   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Now that I think about it, I'm confused. How does slow work? Is it a 50% reduction, or -10? I thought it was -10, but -10 would paralyze you at normal speed.
0 speed = 10 energy, and -10 speed = 5 energy, so no paralysis.

I'm not positive % is best. Whether normal speed should be displayed 100% or 10 energy is not clear to me. In the later game, when everyone is running around at 200% or 300% it may look a bit silly.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 19:16   #9
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
2 suggestions I'd make regarding the speed system, each solving one of the above problems:

1. Put a monster's speed relative to the player on the monster memory screen:

Sauron
...moves very quickly (76% your current speed)...

Morgoth
...moves incredibly quickly (300% your current speed)... [uh oh...]

This way instead of remembering conversions, one can instantly check the relative speed of a monster that's in front of you (or has been seen in the past) without running a time trial.

2. As PowerDiver suggested -- have the displayed player speed be energy based, in some format. This solves the problem of having to guess or memorize the declining effects of additional speed at higher levels.

If I'm deciding to weigh a 10% increase in combat power and whether it's worth my speed going from +38 to +33, it'd be useful to know in a concrete way how that speed change translates to an energy change.
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009, 21:21   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
That's a little better. I can't help but think that there an even better solution.

In any case, adding Haste and Slow flags to the status area would eliminate any confusion concerning the speed altering effects that you are experiencing.
I'm assuming that
1) all hasting and slowing have equal effects,
2) you can only be subject to one form or haste, or slow, or one of each at a time, and
3) that all forms of haste or slow, active simultaneously, will negate each other.

Er, don't think so. IIUC -10 is precisely a 50% reduction at normal speed.

I like your idea of adding a Haste/Slow field to the status line, separate from the speed. Does anyone know if there is space for this if all the other temp effects are on?