+1 from me
Who are you?

Old June 24, 2010, 02:52   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
It's probably me, I think I misparsed what Timo wrote even though I read it several times.

So is this right?

Rdark provides damage reduction for dark attacks and blindness resistance from dark attacks.
Yes.

Quote:
Rblind (Or Imblind?) provides blindness immunity from spells and spit-to-blind but not from light and dark attacks.
rBlind is protection against blindness no matter which source it has including dark and light. Think of it like Free Action. No matter which paralyzation attack you are against that protects you from it.

Quote:
Rconf (Or Imconf?) provides confusion immunity to confusion spells, gaze-to-confuse and hit-to-confuse, but not from chaos breaths.
Not damage from chaos, but confusion effect yes.

Quote:
Rchaos provides damage reduction to chaos breaths and confusion and hallucination immunity from chaos breaths, but no confusion immunity from any other attack.
Yes.

Quote:
Rshards provides resistance to shards damage and immunity from cuts in shards attacks but does not give immunity from cuts from biting attacks or cause wounds spells.
Yes.

Quote:
Rsound provides resistance to sound damage and immunity to stunning from sound attacks, but no resistance from stunning from things like water-balls, plasma bolts, force attacks, hit-to-stun.
Yes.

Abilities protect against effect no matter which source that effect has, but do not reduce any damage from any of the attacks.

Resistances protect against damage and effects from that element only. Other sources are not protected in any way.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2010, 11:40   #13
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Who are you?

A largely absent maintainer, apparently. ^_^
Old December 27, 2010, 23:56   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Abilities protect against effect no matter which source that effect has, but do not reduce any damage from any of the attacks.

Resistances protect against damage and effects from that element only. Other sources are not protected in any way.
Ok, this is ready at http://github.com/magnate/angband/tree/resists, which I hope takk will merge soon.

rBlind, rConf, rFear are now abilities and can be found as random powers on Blessed and Slay Evil egos, and not as random high resists on Elvenkinds/Aman. They protect from the blind/confused/afraid status from any source (except objects with OF_AFRAID). They are displayed at the bottom of the 2nd column of the character details screen, separated from the elemental resists. They are now shown a pFear, pBlnd and pConf, for "protection from". Similarly, they are described in the 'I'nspect screen as providing protection from those effects.

There is no confusion breath - "bronze" monsters have 0 rarity and cannot be generated. Bronze DSM likewise.

Every resist protects from the side-effects of that element only: rChaos protects from the confusion effect of chaos attacks (but not from other sources of confusion). rSound no longer prevents stunning except from sound attacks.

There is a new flag RES_STUN, which would prevent stunning from all of sound, gravity, force, plasma, water and ice attacks, but it does not yet appear anywhere. (This is mainly because there is nowhere to display pStun without redesigning the character sheet - see ticket #843. Also because the game is harder with unresistable stunning.)

Amulet of Magi now has rBlind instead of rConf.
Artifacts now have only one of rConf and rChaos (except Bladeturner), same number of each.

There is one exception to Timo's second rule above: rShards prevents cut damage from ice attacks. This has always been the case, but could be changed if people feel strongly.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2010, 01:55   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Amulet of Magi now has rBlind instead of rConf.
That's a shame for my dwarf warriors. It feels like a change that means I won't use them any more, but that may just be because of what I am used to.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2010, 02:42   #16
pampl
RePosBand maintainer

pampl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is a new flag RES_STUN, which would prevent stunning from all of sound, gravity, force, plasma, water and ice attacks, but it does not yet appear anywhere. (This is mainly because there is nowhere to display pStun without redesigning the character sheet - see ticket #843. Also because the game is harder with unresistable stunning.)
Unless I'm missing something, ticket #843 is "ciHjj" with the description "SAguBM"
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2010, 10:52   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampl View Post
Unless I'm missing something, ticket #843 is "ciHjj" with the description "SAguBM"
http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/843 - sorry - my fault for using shorthand.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:56   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
That's a shame for my dwarf warriors. It feels like a change that means I won't use them any more, but that may just be because of what I am used to.
I was a little confused by this too, since it's a straight swap: apart from PDSM, no other item in object.txt has either rBlind or rConf after the removal of bronze DSM. So changing "magi from one to the other is a zero-sum change. I think Timo thought it would be evening things up, because JLE sprinkled rConf on items like confetti, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. There's only one ego with rConf (Serenity), but two with rBlind (Seeing & Night/Day). But maybe he had another reason.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:54   #19
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
There is one exception to Timo's second rule above: rShards prevents cut damage from ice attacks. This has always been the case, but could be changed if people feel strongly.
Ok, I found another exception: rNether prevents the exp-draining side effect of chaos attacks. I'm going to remove this, as it duplicates the protection of HLife (whereas there is no pCuts to duplicate the protection from ice shards described above).
Old December 28, 2010, 13:49   #20
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was a little confused by this too, since it's a straight swap: apart from PDSM, no other item in object.txt has either rBlind or rConf after the removal of bronze DSM. So changing "magi from one to the other is a zero-sum change. I think Timo thought it would be evening things up, because JLE sprinkled rConf on items like confetti, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. There's only one ego with rConf (Serenity), but two with rBlind (Seeing & Night/Day). But maybe he had another reason.
Magi is underpowered (like devotion). The only time I've ever used it is for rconf. I'd rather have it stay as rconf.

I think Timo's reasoning was that rconf was going to be removed and he wanted something else on Magi?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote