AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 25, 2010, 21:11   #11
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
... Where did you get a cap of 150 from? As far as I can tell from the code, AC remains linearly useful at any level - the hit equation is

if randint0(chance) >= (ac * 3 / 4)[SNIP]
My guess is the post was referring to the damage reducing part of AC that is capped at 150 (/250) of melee/ranged damage if nothing has changed recently.

Edit: IIRC it is only normal physical attack damage that can get reduced. Not confusion melee-attacks etc.

Last edited by Twilight; July 25, 2010 at 21:47.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010, 23:04   #12
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
The 150 cap may be from ignorance or a misunderstanding, I thought at 150 it topped out at reducing chance to hit, while higher ac beyond that just reduced damage. If I'm wrong then by all means ignore that part of the post, but having such AC at those levels adds a decision whether or not to equip that leather armor with resist-cold, or keep the chainmail... More decisions make it more interesting.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010, 23:32   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
The 150 cap may be from ignorance or a misunderstanding, I thought at 150 it topped out at reducing chance to hit, while higher ac beyond that just reduced damage. If I'm wrong then by all means ignore that part of the post, but having such AC at those levels adds a decision whether or not to equip that leather armor with resist-cold, or keep the chainmail... More decisions make it more interesting.
Ah .... right. You actually got it backwards: there's no cap on the reduction in chance to hit, but 150 is the max for reducing damage (reduces 60% of normal damage - HURT or SHATTER but not other attack types). AC above 150 is still worth having for avoidance, but doesn't reduce damage any further.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 09:09   #14
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Blue Dragon Scale Mail of Speed (+7)

I like where this is going.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 14:34   #15
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Ah .... right. You actually got it backwards: there's no cap on the reduction in chance to hit, but 150 is the max for reducing damage (reduces 60% of normal damage - HURT or SHATTER but not other attack types). AC above 150 is still worth having for avoidance, but doesn't reduce damage any further.
I haven't looked in the code or anything but I thought there was a cap on the reduction of chance to hit since I think monsters and players alike have a guaranteed 5% hit chance.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 19:18   #16
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
I haven't looked in the code or anything but I thought there was a cap on the reduction of chance to hit since I think monsters and players alike have a guaranteed 5% hit chance.
I remember a discussion about removing that 5% thing. It would not surprise me if it has been removed by now on one or both of monsters and players.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 20:52   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I remember a discussion about removing that 5% thing. It would not surprise me if it has been removed by now on one or both of monsters and players.
No, it hasn't been removed - but you'd have to have an AC of 342 to reduce Morgoth's chance to hit you to 5% ... so effectively that's the cap.

I think now that more AC is available on armour, the 150/250 damage reduction cap should be changed to 180/300. That's the same maximum damage reduction (60%) but at a bit more AC.
Old July 28, 2010, 20:54   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Blue Dragon Scale Mail of Speed (+7)

I like where this is going.
Wow, that was quick. I'm hoping that the changes to drops (which are now imminent, since d_m likes Ewert's new object.txt) will prevent ego DSMs becoming too common - I'd hate for anyone to complain that the game is getting easier ...
Old July 28, 2010, 21:16   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'll note that my last winner was wearing a randart armor of +8 speed (and nothing else) for the mid-late game. I kept wanting to wear something more interesting, but it just couldn't overcome the speed bonus in utility. Speed is, as always, powerful.

What's the range on pvals for DSM of Speed?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 21:33   #20
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'll note that my last winner was wearing a randart armor of +8 speed (and nothing else) for the mid-late game. I kept wanting to wear something more interesting, but it just couldn't overcome the speed bonus in utility. Speed is, as always, powerful.

What's the range on pvals for DSM of Speed?
1-10, same as boots. In general, randarts with big speed boosts have nothing else attached to the pval, making for interesting choices (often you need STR or CON on your body armour, for example). I have seen some Deathwreaker-alikes with +7 INT, WIS, SPEED and, in one extraordinary case (unfortunately I was testing rather than playing), +13 STR and SPEED!

Blue DSM of Speed doesn't strike me as particularly uber, since it's basically a slot for speed and a breath weapon (relec being almost certain to occur in another slot). But Balance DSM of Speed really does sound quite interesting ... it should be bloody rare though.