AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 28, 2010, 21:36   #21
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
1-10, same as boots. In general, randarts with big speed boosts have nothing else attached to the pval, making for interesting choices (often you need STR or CON on your body armour, for example). I have seen some Deathwreaker-alikes with +7 INT, WIS, SPEED and, in one extraordinary case (unfortunately I was testing rather than playing), +13 STR and SPEED!

Blue DSM of Speed doesn't strike me as particularly uber, since it's basically a slot for speed and a breath weapon (relec being almost certain to occur in another slot). But Balance DSM of Speed really does sound quite interesting ... it should be bloody rare though.
My last game had randart boots +10 speed & stealth.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 21:40   #22
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
My last game had randart boots +10 speed & stealth.
Oh wow. I've been dreaming of a find like that since I wrote the damn generator. I've never seen both on boots with a pval above +4. Nice find.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010, 22:01   #23
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh wow. I've been dreaming of a find like that since I wrote the damn generator. I've never seen both on boots with a pval above +4. Nice find.
Didn't see that coming? ... Lousy joke, I know, what with that speed and stealth who would see it coming ... =P

And to the subject, I think there was something funky at some low level heavy armor, don't remember which but my paladin bought it at like start of game because it was in armor shop, like just over 100 gold and yeah a "heavy" armor, high tens or low twenties base armor ... Sorry don't have dump.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2010, 15:21   #24
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10484

Died early but I think I can comment about the armor changes at least.

1. DSM's are now VERY worth while to check out. The blue one I found with +7 speed made me check each and every one afterward. Plus there were times I was trying to figure out how I could have worn it... This could make for some interesting gear choices, which is *never* a bad thing.

2. Chance to hit / Reduction from armor seems a bit overpowered, for a warrior or paladin this would be fine in my eyes, they should be able to run around in heavy armor, but for others, once strength is up, it may be a bit much. I didn't have to fear melee at all pretty much, I was running around with 193-233 AC at all times depending on !berserk and which weapon I had on.

So far I really like it though Kudos!
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2010, 22:26   #25
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10484

Died early but I think I can comment about the armor changes at least.

1. DSM's are now VERY worth while to check out. The blue one I found with +7 speed made me check each and every one afterward. Plus there were times I was trying to figure out how I could have worn it... This could make for some interesting gear choices, which is *never* a bad thing.

2. Chance to hit / Reduction from armor seems a bit overpowered, for a warrior or paladin this would be fine in my eyes, they should be able to run around in heavy armor, but for others, once strength is up, it may be a bit much. I didn't have to fear melee at all pretty much, I was running around with 193-233 AC at all times depending on !berserk and which weapon I had on.

So far I really like it though Kudos!
Thank you - and thanks for the reminder about #2 - r2018 changes the damage reduction from 150/250 to 240/400 - still the same 60% cap, but harder to reach. I am less inclined to tinker with the hit chance, but if melee is still too easy after this I'll do it.
Old July 29, 2010, 23:10   #26
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you - and thanks for the reminder about #2 - r2018 changes the damage reduction from 150/250 to 240/400 - still the same 60% cap, but harder to reach. I am less inclined to tinker with the hit chance, but if melee is still too easy after this I'll do it.
I'll update and run again with randarts and see how it goes.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2010, 01:33   #27
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want more data -my latest rogue winner (r2016) had extremely high AC as well. 300+ against Morgoth for instance (with the help of Shield-spell and other buffs, but still). She got high relatively early as well, so melee combat felt much easier ... but to be honest I didn't think about it much before near the endgame.

The damage reduction change feels good IMO, for starters at least.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10501
Old July 30, 2010, 02:07   #28
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10504

I'm enjoying the changes. Feels like a lot more of my gear is coming from uniques. I'm also facing some interesting gear choices and being forced to use swaps for really thie first time. Inventory management is becoming more of an issue. I like the armor change it makes AC feel like more than a non-issue. So far the only DSM I found was just magical but I'm excited about the prospect of an ego DSM since I always thought they should get more use.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2010, 17:41   #29
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10504

I'm enjoying the changes. Feels like a lot more of my gear is coming from uniques. I'm also facing some interesting gear choices and being forced to use swaps for really thie first time. Inventory management is becoming more of an issue. I like the armor change it makes AC feel like more than a non-issue. So far the only DSM I found was just magical but I'm excited about the prospect of an ego DSM since I always thought they should get more use.
Hmm - I see that +3 blows is still too common on randarts, even after I made them worth more!

@Twilight: interesting that 2/3 of your AC is magical, and only 1/3 was base. I think the standarts generally have higher +ac than randarts - you have a lot of +20 and +25 there.

Glad this is going down reasonably well. Off to make +blows even less likely ...
Old July 30, 2010, 18:11   #30
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hmm - I see that +3 blows is still too common on randarts, even after I made them worth more!

@Twilight: interesting that 2/3 of your AC is magical, and only 1/3 was base. I think the standarts generally have higher +ac than randarts - you have a lot of +20 and +25 there.

Glad this is going down reasonably well. Off to make +blows even less likely ...
+3 blows on weapons is not that bad provided the weapon isn't overly powerful. (as is the case with this trident) + blows on off-weapon shots should be pretty rare.

+3 blows + big dice + slay evil (and kill undead/dragon/demon) should be extremely rare, maybe generated once every 20 randart games as a top level artifact.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote