Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 31, 2010, 17:16   #31
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Heck, rogues are probably the most balanced class at the moment. Not overpowering in end game, not underperforming in early game ... :P
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010, 17:17   #32
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I always hated finding class-specific equipment in Diablo 2. It's absolutely useless to you unless you either play multiple characters and trade between them, or are on Battle.net and are willing to trade there. For solo play, finding a piece of equipment that's intended for a different class is equivalent to finding something you can't use, a.k.a. junk. Even if you limit the class specificity to only certain ego-items, that means you're modifying the game with the knowledge that you rendered a certain item useless (or at least not notably useful, which is functionally equivalent) to 5/6ths of all characters.

Remember that each class needs to be able to kill things. Death is the only feasible source of experience, and after all, the final goal of the game is to kill Morgoth, not to sneak past him. Rogues rely on melee for killing power; nerfing it will seriously reduce their feasibility as a class. Currently I don't think they're remotely unbalanced, so why hit them with a nerf bat?
+1. Some veterans consider the rogue the challenge class, even above the warrior. (Not me - I rely on stealth - but then I'm nowhere near the best players.)

Artifacts will in future have more "themes" available (great inspiration from code-diving Sangband on holiday), but no, they won't be class-specific. Except the dungeon spellbooks, of course. But they're junk to non-users whether they're artifacts or not.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010, 19:39   #33
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
+1. Some veterans consider the rogue the challenge class, even above the warrior.
Whatdoyoumean "above the warrior"? Warrior is maybe third in easiness. Priest, Ranger, Warrior, then rest. Ranger is maybe fastest, priest easiest. "Even above the mage" could be better. Mage is difficult class even at clvl 50, because it has no decent healing and very low HP and classes with INT bonus usually don't have big CON bonus if at all (Dunadan and Hobbit make exceptions to rule, but hobbit suffers low STR and low hit die). Try something like elf warrior and then try elf mage to see what I'm talking about. You need +14 to CON to max HP with elf mage.

IMO stealth should mean more. Awake monsters should not be aware of player automatically like they are now. That would make huge difference in stealth.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010, 20:30   #34
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Whatdoyoumean "above the warrior"? Warrior is maybe third in easiness. Priest, Ranger, Warrior, then rest. Ranger is maybe fastest, priest easiest. "Even above the mage" could be better. Mage is difficult class even at clvl 50, because it has no decent healing and very low HP and classes with INT bonus usually don't have big CON bonus if at all (Dunadan and Hobbit make exceptions to rule, but hobbit suffers low STR and low hit die). Try something like elf warrior and then try elf mage to see what I'm talking about. You need +14 to CON to max HP with elf mage.

IMO stealth should mean more. Awake monsters should not be aware of player automatically like they are now. That would make huge difference in stealth.
You're preaching to the choir here - I agree with all this, but I was thinking of Eddie, who frequently notes how warriors are challenging as compared with casters. But yes, my personal play style has the classes easiest to hardest as ranger, rogue, paladin, warrior, priest, mage.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010, 21:10   #35
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Remember that each class needs to be able to kill things. Death is the only feasible source of experience, and after all, the final goal of the game is to kill Morgoth, not to sneak past him.
True, good point. Though it would be amusing to be able to steal his Iron Crown from his head while he's still alive... :-)

Quote:
Rogues rely on melee for killing power; nerfing it will seriously reduce their feasibility as a class. Currently I don't think they're remotely unbalanced, so why hit them with a nerf bat?
I don't think they're unbalanced, just not all that distinctive. I'm just sort of thinking out loud about how to make them a little more unique.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010, 01:18   #36
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
I agree that more differentiation among classes would be good though. Rangers and rogues do not either of them need to be semi-mages; more diversity in the spell set could accomplish that. Rogues could have even better stealth, perhaps, but be seriously nerfed in combat even from where they are now, to create the sense of "you're a great sneaky thief but woe to you if you ever get caught at it." Rangers can have their phenomenal archery, but again, weaken their melee to match; if anything manages to close with them then the ranger is suddenly in big trouble.
Quote:
Remember that each class needs to be able to kill things. Death is the only feasible source of experience, and after all, the final goal of the game is to kill Morgoth, not to sneak past him. Rogues rely on melee for killing power; nerfing it will seriously reduce their feasibility as a class. Currently I don't think they're remotely unbalanced, so why hit them with a nerf bat?
Someone asked me a while back why I have three rogue-like classes in DaJAngband (rogue, thief, and assassin), but I made them with distinct strengths and weaknesses. The rogue is best fighter of them and the worst at magic (thought he still gets useful ones like detect monsters, detect traps, and blink among his first few spells -chance magic realm), but he is slightly less stealthy than the V rogue. The thief is better at his particular brand of magic (alchemy realm), is the most stealthy, and gets intrinsic speed, but is much worse at fighting and some skills. The assassin is as stealthy as the rogue, worse at fighting than the rogue but better than the thief. He is pretty good with magic, but his type of magic is quite different from the thief's (black magic realm).
Also, the thief is considered a non-combat class, meaning I'm going to give them the alternate ways of getting XP along with the tourist, at the same time further weakening his combat. I hoping to have killing monsters not be the only feasible source of XP for the thief and tourist.
Rangers and archers are two different classes in DJA (unlike V). The archer gets very few spells and most of them are directly related to archery. The Ranger is cross between an archer and a druid. He is good with bows, but doesn't get extra shots (or any other extrodinary archery advantages...).

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home

Last edited by will_asher; November 2, 2010 at 23:52.
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010, 07:41   #37
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
They are boring. Period.

Stealth isn't that important. It is important, but not that important. H-Troll warrior manages just fine and doesn't have huge stealth (IMO all warriors should have higher stealth than spellcasters).
Speaking only for yourself, of course. I find Rogue to be possibly the most interesting class of all. It's well balanced, and potentially very powerful. But only if you play it right.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010, 03:19   #38
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Speaking only for yourself, of course. I find Rogue to be possibly the most interesting class of all. It's well balanced, and potentially very powerful. But only if you play it right.
What's interesting in it? It has mediocre spellcasting, mediocre fighting, mediocre archery, mediocre level gain, mediocre HP, mediocre stats, mediocre everything except stealth. It has nothing special to it, not even drawbacks or weaknesses.

I don't say it could not be powerful. Powerful is not interesting. Every class can be powerful, I just find Rogue most boring. Or Paladin. Not sure which is more boring. Maybe Rogue, because Paladin at least has same drawback as Priest early: no detecting non-evil monsters until you have Godly Insights.
Old November 3, 2010, 04:03   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Rogue is second-best in melee by the endgame (paladins start out better, but their per-level gains aren't as strong). They're third in archery, well behind rangers and warriors but also decently ahead of everyone else. Naturally they're tops in stealth. Their saving throw is average (tied with ranger), they're good at devices (ditto), and they have the second-best hit die (tied with paladin). Frankly they're better than paladins in almost every way -- unless you like the paladin spellset better than the rogue's.

Rogues certainly don't match their namesake, which typically implies a fast-moving, hard-hitting but fragile character. They're more magical thugs that know how to walk quietly than they are assassins.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010, 04:34   #40
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Rogue is second-best in melee by the endgame (paladins start out better, but their per-level gains aren't as strong). They're third in archery, well behind rangers and warriors but also decently ahead of everyone else. Naturally they're tops in stealth. Their saving throw is average (tied with ranger), they're good at devices (ditto), and they have the second-best hit die (tied with paladin). Frankly they're better than paladins in almost every way -- unless you like the paladin spellset better than the rogue's.
It is not matter of which is better. Which is more interesting, that's the question. Warrior doesn't have spellcasting at all, which makes it interesting. Priests and mages have crippled melee and bad archery, but have excellent spellcasting to compensate. Ranger has archery. Rogue and Paladin has nothing, though I find paladin to have a bit more personality (but still boring anyway).