Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 10, 2010, 11:24   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Ok, how about this solution then: not only do items recharge in the pack, but they also aggravate while in the pack ....?

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 11:42   #22
Adley
Adept

Adley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Ok, how about this solution then: not only do items recharge in the pack, but they also aggravate while in the pack ....?

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Completely bad. Imagine finding one of the aggravating artifacts (Umbar?) and having problems till you recall? meh...
Adley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 14:22   #23
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I disagree entirely, mostly because there's relatively no penalty to waiting until your item recharges. So in reality, what this does is remove the tedium of resting until recharge before removing the item.
If you rest then it is your choice, and you can choose otherwise. Do you use items that require waiting? If yes, then this change would be just removing that tedium, but if not then it is big change in gameplay. I don't wait. I use only swaps that I can actually use while adventuring.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 16:09   #24
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
If you rest then it is your choice, and you can choose otherwise. Do you use items that require waiting? If yes, then this change would be just removing that tedium, but if not then it is big change in gameplay. I don't wait. I use only swaps that I can actually use while adventuring.
I do the same as you. The result is that I don't bother carrying artifacts that I would use as swaps for activations. This would change that, and, IMO give more options as to what to bring in my inventory, not less. Right now, what to carry, and what to use the home spaces for, is the major decision making of V.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 18:24   #25
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
I do the same as you. The result is that I don't bother carrying artifacts that I would use as swaps for activations. This would change that, and, IMO give more options as to what to bring in my inventory, not less. Right now, what to carry, and what to use the home spaces for, is the major decision making of V.
I OTOH couldn't care less about inventory management (with exception of arrows as ranger, but quiver removed that). You are basically saying that you want increase the tedium of inventory management by adding more items there? That doesn't sound very solid argument.

I carry Taratol and Tulkas for activations and several other items as resistance-swaps. I have used Celeborn and Eonwe as activation swap as well if my other gear allows me to play with Celeborn. I sometimes also use healing-artifacts like Elessar and Crown of Gondor as activation swaps, but they are so good that they are usually the primary item anyway (like Eonwe).
Old October 10, 2010, 20:06   #26
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I OTOH couldn't care less about inventory management (with exception of arrows as ranger, but quiver removed that). You are basically saying that you want increase the tedium of inventory management by adding more items there? That doesn't sound very solid argument.
What I mean is that inventory management provides most of the interesting decisions of the game. So having more decisions to make in this regard, adds a bit to the interest. It's a very small change though, as you note, there are only about 5 artifacts you'd carry for the activation.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 20:51   #27
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
What I mean is that inventory management provides most of the interesting decisions of the game. So having more decisions to make in this regard, adds a bit to the interest. It's a very small change though, as you note, there are only about 5 artifacts you'd carry for the activation.
Without thinking much I count seven (both banishments, 2 haste, 2 healing, 1 resistance), but at least three of those are usually the main equipment that is always on anyways. Then there is one recharging and one sleep that could be useful, especially that recharging one. Maybe also one detection, but that starts to be in borderline if it would actually be used like that ever even with this proposed change.
Old October 10, 2010, 21:15   #28
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
I'm messing around with these change ideas, and thinking:

If recharge in inventory is allowed, make it the old "outside of time bubble"
Change recharge for worn items to be on "x turns nevermind the speed"
Allow activation from inventory?
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 21:24   #29
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I think every item should recharge at a consistent rate. If you're going to differentiate between worn and not-worn, then it should be by "charges" and "doesn't charge", not by "charges" and "charges slowly".

I'd also rather see everything recharge in player turns instead of game turns, personally.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010, 21:29   #30
Adley
Adept

Adley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'd also rather see everything recharge in player turns instead of game turns, personally.
+1
I mean, if you carry objects, they got the same speed as you, no?
Adley is offline   Reply With Quote