Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 11, 2010, 21:52   #11
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
Directional teleport blocking based on terrain would be very hard, but based on the icky flag would be very easy.
Old October 11, 2010, 22:21   #12
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
The icky flag?

Certainly, bidirectional blocking's simpler, but directional isn't that bad. You only need to make the check (is this coming from the right direction?) when a potential block happens.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010, 22:30   #13
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
The icky flag?
In the code, the CAVE_ICKY flag marks all vault spaces as being in a vault. So teleport blocking using the icky flag wouldn't have to check any actual paths or directions, it would only check whether the before and after locations of the teleport are inside a vault or not (which is much simpler than using paths or directions).

Sometimes it's easy for code-divers to speak in language that non code-divers don't understand.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010, 23:33   #14
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
In the code, the CAVE_ICKY flag marks all vault spaces as being in a vault. So teleport blocking using the icky flag wouldn't have to check any actual paths or directions, it would only check whether the before and after locations of the teleport are inside a vault or not (which is much simpler than using paths or directions).

Sometimes it's easy for code-divers to speak in language that non code-divers don't understand.
Wouldn't that allow you to teleport between different vaults on the same level?

Many high levels have more than one lesser vault.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010, 23:41   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Teleportation effects are not allowed to land you inside a vault, period. They don't care if you start in a vault -- that's why Phase Door is such a good escape when clearing vaults, because it'll dump you right outside.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010, 23:47   #16
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Why? I think it makes sense for vaults to have some magic defences, making some spells less effective/behave differently..
Special casing is the enemy.

Generally speaking, a game is better when it has fewer rules that are designed to act interestingly when they combine.

In a game with a terrible manual, this becomes vitally important.

The changes suggested to permanent walls, if done consistently, are a much better approach. I would quibble over details, but that would be good design rather than bad design.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 00:16   #17
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Well, it helps when the flag name shows at least some semblance of its role....

And I agree with PD...don't use this flag. It's not hard to write the path trace, and it works a lot better.

Also: what's the point of the ICKY flag? From what you're saying, it's a floor flag...not a wall flag. So one could use it to do the Reinforced...but one shouldn't. Reinforced would be *a* flag; the notion of "in a vault", if it has any meaning at all, is separate. Don't link the two.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 00:17   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Teleportation effects are not allowed to land you inside a vault, period. They don't care if you start in a vault -- that's why Phase Door is such a good escape when clearing vaults, because it'll dump you right outside.
well yes, of course. I was talking about the proposed change that would have teleporting from an icky floor force you to land on an icky floor.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 00:37   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
Also: what's the point of the ICKY flag? From what you're saying, it's a floor flag...not a wall flag. So one could use it to do the Reinforced...but one shouldn't. Reinforced would be *a* flag; the notion of "in a vault", if it has any meaning at all, is separate. Don't link the two.
It's a tile flag -- it applies even to walls in vaults that you end up digging out. It serves the following purposes:

* It marks tiles that the player can't enter the level from.
* It marks tiles the player can't teleport onto.

It also used to prevent monsters from being teleported onto it, although that appears to now be commented out.

I think you'll agree that the first item on that list at least is desirable. Appearing in the middle of a vault would be an odd way to start a level, and could easily screw with the vault's intended flow.

Basically, icky floors are a convenient way for the code to recognize a vault after it has been placed.

The idea of permanent walls blocking teleport effects sounds interesting, but I'm concerned about how you'd handle grouping. For example, say the monster you try to teleport away hits a permanent wall that's right next to a group of orcs. Where does the monster land? What if the entire vault is full? I'd hate to think of the confusion caused by trying to teleport away a group of monsters and have the teleport work on some (because they chose teleport destinations that had an empty "landing zone") but not on others for no reason that the player can discern.

Otherwise, I like the idea.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 00:47   #20
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The idea of permanent walls blocking teleport effects sounds interesting, but I'm concerned about how you'd handle grouping.
The approach that seems obvious to me is to teleport to the furthest available square along the path from source to destination that is before all permanent walls along the path.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote