Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 4, 2010, 21:28   #11
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
v3.0.9b

According to (uhm... wherever I downloaded it from..?) it's the most stable version as of about 10 days ago.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2010, 21:51   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fell View Post
v3.0.9b

According to (uhm... wherever I downloaded it from..?) it's the most stable version as of about 10 days ago.
Yeah, everything's changing pretty fast at the moment - including the definition of stability

3.1.2v2 beta is pretty stable.
Old November 13, 2010, 21:35   #13
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
I recall now... 3.0.9b has a "windows console version" where versions newer than that only offer source code, graphical version, or Mac. I was operating under the assumption that I'd need to compile from source (no idea how to do that) and I don't like graphical... so, that's why I picked the version I picked.

For the record, still hating the "new" stores.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 00:24   #14
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
I recall now... 3.0.9b has a "windows console version" where versions newer than that only offer source code, graphical version, or Mac. I was operating under the assumption that I'd need to compile from source (no idea how to do that) and I don't like graphical... so, that's why I picked the version I picked.
Yeah. What you call the "windows console version" (also known as, er, the DOS version) was removed for 3.1 - I think it was part of the non-GPL purge but not sure. Sorry.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 00:55   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
What's the objection to "graphical", though? Assuming that by that you mean the "windowed mode with option of using representational art instead of ASCII". You should never be forced to use the tiles; ASCII is to my knowledge always an option.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 01:59   #16
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Yeah. What you call the "windows console version" (also known as, er, the DOS version) was removed for 3.1 - I think it was part of the non-GPL purge but not sure. Sorry.
The Windows console version is just the Unix console version compiled with PDCurses, so that it's pretty close to the old DOS version but isn't quite the same. I stopped compiling it through negligence, mostly, and in the interests of not having people download the console version instead of the friendlier Windows version.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:16   #17
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For the record, still hating the "new" stores.
You are not alone. I put the new store menu from Angband 3.1.2 in NPP and nobody likes it. I have multiple requests to change it back. I like it, but I appear to be in the minority.

Does Angband have any plans for further refining on thier store UI?
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 10:28   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
You are not alone. I put the new store menu from Angband 3.1.2 in NPP and nobody likes it. I have multiple requests to change it back. I like it, but I appear to be in the minority.

Does Angband have any plans for further refining on thier store UI?
I don't like it either but we're all suffering from the pain of changing deeply ingrained habits and muscle memory. As takk explained far more clearly than I could in a previous thread on this, the new paradigm is far more handheld-friendly and that's what makes it worth the switch.

I don't think I've ever seen a single complaint about the store interface from a new player, which I think is significant.

I don't know the answer to your question though: takk has embarked on a major series of changes to input handling (the first of which is now in the nightlies - spell selection), but I don't know if/how it will affect stores.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 12:22   #19
Omnipact
Rookie

Omnipact is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I don't like it either but we're all suffering from the pain of changing deeply ingrained habits and muscle memory. As takk explained far more clearly than I could in a previous thread on this, the new paradigm is far more handheld-friendly and that's what makes it worth the switch.
There was a discussion on the mailing list mailing list about it. (thread named 'Various stuff')
Doing the verb-noun(sell) to noun-verb(buy) is a bit quirky, and all 'old school' players disliked it. (including me)

There is also the fact that it uses the 'menu' ui (a la options screen) to display and select shop wares.
It might well be quite tricky to implement a verb-noun method for buying. (in a clean way)

Iain
Omnipact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 12:37   #20
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipact View Post
Doing the verb-noun(sell) to noun-verb(buy) is a bit quirky, and all 'old school' players disliked it. (including me)
Same here. I have been playing 3.1 -> versions now for quite a long time, and apparently it is not just "muscle memory", but real logical error, because I still make errors in my buying/selling stuff. That same is not only for buying and selling but also for looking what that stuff does.

This shop UI will be annoying forever if it doesn't get fixed, time alone doesn't cure this.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote