AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 23, 2010, 20:05   #1
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Item list sorting

Suggestions for item list UI improvement:

Item list: sort with unknown and artifacts first, then items that have not yet been identified, then identified and armors and weapons last in the each section.

That way you don't have trouble finding yet unseen items in the list after you have wiped out some dragon pit and lesser vault of some kind.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2010, 21:04   #2
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
This is a dumb question, but is there a way to highlight an item on the map based on the item list? I've sometimes had problems finding where something is actually located once I've detected it. e.g., maybe in a stack, maybe under a monster, maybe one of several similar looking items.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2010, 21:17   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
This is a dumb question, but is there a way to highlight an item on the map based on the item list? I've sometimes had problems finding where something is actually located once I've detected it. e.g., maybe in a stack, maybe under a monster, maybe one of several similar looking items.
That would be great improvement, but it also would require some new command, like "locate item". Maybe "l" followed by "]" (or other way around) could show you that list with possibility to select item which then shows you that location in map.

Current nightlies have item location relative to your position listed as XX (N/S), XX (W/E), which is helpful but still requires some looking around to pinpoint which grid is that.
Old November 23, 2010, 23:06   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
That would be great improvement, but it also would require some new command, like "locate item". Maybe "l" followed by "]" (or other way around) could show you that list with possibility to select item which then shows you that location in map.

Current nightlies have item location relative to your position listed as XX (N/S), XX (W/E), which is helpful but still requires some looking around to pinpoint which grid is that.
This request is ticket #1164, but Timo's sorting ideas have not been captured on trac (which is odd, because I've seen them before a few times). I've added them to #1164 by linking to this thread.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2010, 23:11   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
This request is ticket #1164, but Timo's sorting ideas have not been captured on trac (which is odd, because I've seen them before a few times). I've added them to #1164 by linking to this thread.
Really? I don't recall seeing item list sorting suggestions before. Monster list yes. I thought discussion about which way to sort is in order before making it actual "to do" -thing in trac.
Old November 23, 2010, 23:22   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Really? I don't recall seeing item list sorting suggestions before. Monster list yes. I thought discussion about which way to sort is in order before making it actual "to do" -thing in trac.
Timo, you didn't join Oook all that long ago - not until after MarbleDice implemented the distance offsets in the item list. When those changes were discussed there was also discussion about sorting the list, so I was surprised to find that it wasn't on trac (though I didn't check closed tickets - it may have been an aside on a closed ticket).

Anyway, I've linked the ticket to this thread so that anyone looking to implement improvements to the item list will come here and see all the debate about sorting. IMO the default sort should be alphabetical, but I like your suggestion of putting all unknown or unIDd items at the top. (I think artifacts are already at the top IIRC.)
Old November 23, 2010, 23:51   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Timo, you didn't join Oook all that long ago - not until after MarbleDice implemented the distance offsets in the item list. When those changes were discussed there was also discussion about sorting the list, so I was surprised to find that it wasn't on trac (though I didn't check closed tickets - it may have been an aside on a closed ticket).

Anyway, I've linked the ticket to this thread so that anyone looking to implement improvements to the item list will come here and see all the debate about sorting. IMO the default sort should be alphabetical, but I like your suggestion of putting all unknown or unIDd items at the top. (I think artifacts are already at the top IIRC.)
Artifacts and completely unknown flavored items (rings, scrolls etc.) are at the top of the list.

Then it proceeds by type, probably alphabetically. Problem is that when there are a lot of items those that you have not yet identified get mixed with items that you have identified, and because of that you might miss something in the list. That's why unID:d at the top would be nice.

Usually if it is still at the floor and you have identified it you are ignoring it. I have used that list few times after epic fights to find those items I dumped aside for safekeeping/making room for pseudo-ID and forgot where that "aside" were (hm? It was a corner of a corridor, but which corridor???).
Old November 23, 2010, 23:52   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Artifacts and completely unknown flavored items (rings, scrolls etc.) are at the top of the list.

Then it proceeds by type, probably alphabetically. Problem is that when there are a lot of items those that you have not yet identified get mixed with items that you have identified, and because of that you might miss something in the list. That's why unID:d at the top would be nice.

Usually if it is still at the floor and you have identified it you are ignoring it. I have used that list few times after epic fights to find those items I dumped aside for safekeeping/making room for pseudo-ID and forgot where that "aside" were (hm? It was a corner of a corridor, but which corridor???).
Sadly it's only alphabetic insofar as object.txt is alphabetic - it's actually going by object index after the unknowns. I agree that putting unIDd first is much better.
Old November 24, 2010, 00:15   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm the one who coded distance offset and passed it on to MarbleDice. It's possible I asked about related issues either privately to MarbleDice or to the dev mailing list rather than posting here. I may have even left comments in the code asking if things should be sorted by distance from the @. All I remember is that no one seemed to have any real preferences about any of the choices.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 01:09   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Another problem is that the artifact lights do not show up as 'unidentified' items, as they should.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote