Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 05:54   #1
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Nightly reports

I grabbed the latest off of git and started up a new kobold warrior with randarts and no selling. After I hit start, there was a long delay, then the message "Generation restarted, not enough (various equipment items like cloaks, etc.)", then when I showed up in town my character was naked and had 600 AU. Seems like somehow I have the "start with money instead of equipment" option set, except that I can't find that option anywhere to check its value.

This was a re-creation of the character -- the previous iteration didn't have randarts or no-selling turned on, so I nuked him and restarted. He also wasn't naked. I didn't notice how much money he had though.

EDIT: and while I'm noting issues, a few things:

* By character level 10 I found Boots of Speed +9
* By character level 12 I found Kelek's

I'd be willing to accept the latter as RNG taunting given that it's absolutely useless in a warrior no-selling game, but with the former it's rather significant; seems unlikely to be merely good luck to me.

Also, I had ~3k gold by the time I'd normally consider recalling, and what I'd normally considering recalling with wouldn't be worth that much. In other words, gold drops are currently too generous early on.

Last edited by Derakon; February 7, 2011 at 07:26.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011, 06:55   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 39
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I grabbed the latest off of git and started up a new kobold warrior with randarts and no selling. After I hit start, there was a long delay, then the message "Generation restarted, not enough (various equipment items like cloaks, etc.)", then when I showed up in town my character was naked and had 600 AU. Seems like somehow I have the "start with money instead of equipment" option set, except that I can't find that option anywhere to check its value.

This was a re-creation of the character -- the previous iteration didn't have randarts or no-selling turned on, so I nuked him and restarted. He also wasn't naked. I didn't notice how much money he had though.

EDIT: and while I'm noting issues, a few things:

* By character level 10 I found Boots of Speed +9
* By character level 12 I found Kelek's

I'd be willing to accept the latter as RNG taunting given that it's absolutely useless in a warrior no-selling game, but with the former it's rather significant; seems unlikely to be merely good luck to me.

Also, I had ~3k gold by the time I'd normally consider recalling, and what I'd normally considering recalling with wouldn't be worth that much. In other words, gold drops are currently too generous early on.
I've played a ton of games off of staging and haven't found any boots of speed before dungeon level 50 so I consider this a fluke. That said, if it happens to you again (or someone else) in a reasonably short period of time it's worth looking into.

The "start naked" bug is fixed in staging, should get pushed to master sometime soon I hope.

Thanks for the data point regarding gold drops with no selling!
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011, 07:31   #3
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Guess this is turning into a nightly reports thread instead. Oh well!

Found a set of gauntlets of clumsiness, which I equipped before pseudoing, causing them to pseudo as {splendid} because of their obvious effect on my stats. Shouldn't they be {awful} or something? When I sold them (I didn't get hit or ID them, so they were still salable after I removed the curse), they showed as "a Set of Gauntlets of Clumsiness [3,-3] <>".

...wow, okay. In a massive stunt of idiocy, I managed to get my character killed by the last black orc in a group that I'd taken down trivially up to that point. I mean, sure I was low on life, but I wasn't that low...right? Right? Whoops.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011, 13:12   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
The "start naked" bug is fixed in staging, should get pushed to master sometime soon I hope.
What bug? If no_selling is on you start with 600au and no kit - because you can't sell it if you don't like it.

The bug is when no_selling is OFF, and you do start with equipment, but nothing is wielded. For some reason the call to wield_all isn't working.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011, 16:12   #5
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
What bug? If no_selling is on you start with 600au and no kit - because you can't sell it if you don't like it.
Ah, that makes sense. It was unexpected, but it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011, 17:32   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
What bug? If no_selling is on you start with 600au and no kit - because you can't sell it if you don't like it.
Why would you do this?? If you start with a cutlass and a couple throwing daggers (rogue in DAJ) and not a lot of extra money, you actually use that cutlass and throwing daggers. That's a good thing. (Who ever heard of using your starting equipment, huh?)
__________________
Will_Asher

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011, 04:03   #7
Hariolor
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 289
Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Not in nightlies, but in 3.2 - I recently had a character - kobold warrior - found BoS +10 around DL10. Died a few hours later to an ethereal dragon that I didn't see coming, but boy did those boots make life easy.

Could be RNG-related, but the anecdotal evidence (the worst kind!) seems to lean towards lots of BoS at pretty shallow depths.

I believe this has been discussed elsewhere, but a comment was made here regarding others' experience. So there you have it.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011, 04:17   #8
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,946
Derakon is on a distinguished road
And on that note, the prior character's ancestor got a War Hammer of Flame from Farmer Maggot right off. Nowhere near the oddity of BoS, but at this point I'm just going to log good luck in items in general. 46 damage/round right off the bat is nothing to sneeze at.

...oh, dangit, I forgot to buy food! Stupid naked start...

EDIT: got a Maul of Venom off of Bullroarer, and I'm barely 1000 turns into the game. That's two egos already!

EDIT 2: on trying to ignore a pair of Boots of Slowness, I get given the option to ignore "all everything except artifacts Footgear". The phrasing on that could be improved. I suggest "all non-artifact Footgear". Also, it would nice to be able to just ignore bad footgear from that item instead of ignoring good egos too. No astounding finds since that maul, though.

Last edited by Derakon; February 8, 2011 at 05:39.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2011, 11:50   #9
scud
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sarf Laaaahdon
Posts: 323
scud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
anecdotal evidence (the worst kind!) seems to lean towards lots of BoS at pretty shallow depths.
I can anecdotally report that with the Mac nightly of 30 Jan in a single game I found BoS+8 on the floor at 400', but then replaced them with Wormy's Dal-i-thalions at 450', before tripping over a Rod of Restoration at 750'.

Naturally none of this prevented me dying stupidly soon after.

In half a dozen other rather feeble attempts at that particular revision (I doubt I got beyond CL25/1500' in any of them) I didn't find a single item to compare to any of those three.
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2011, 15:14   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 39
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Spacebux noticed that Leather Boots' frequency was way too high--this explains why artifact boots and ego boots are currently too common. I have just pushed a fix to staging for this and it should who up in the nightlies pretty soon now.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Character dump for a dead character? Chud Idle chatter 7 October 18, 2010 00:58
buck-naked, no-artifacts, ironman bron AAR 12 July 14, 2010 21:14
Game Starts with Blank Screen Dronak Vanilla 3 May 27, 2010 06:33
My first truly serious character, gone... Rakaneth AAR 9 February 23, 2010 21:58
Help with my character pedrorf Vanilla 1 April 20, 2009 15:16


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.