Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old February 13, 2011, 05:21   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've taken a new warrior down to 1900', still with the version I was using in the original post. So far, I have not found:

* Rod of Trap Location
* Rod of Illumination
* Any artifacts

I've been diving pretty steadily, but still -- this character's level 29 now and I would think I'd have found at least one of those by now. I looked in object.txt, and while I'm not certain I understand the syntax for the A: line (its description could stand to have an example breaking down how depth and rarity are specified), it looks like these items should be created with rarity 20. I have found Treasure Location and Door/Stair Location rods, as well as numerous attack rods, but it'd really be nice to not be reliant on consumables for trap detection and room lighting.

Same options as before -- randarts, maximize, preserve, no selling. birth_no_artifacts is definitely not on, so artifacts should be generable...

Also, thanks to some lucky rolls from Brawn and Nimbleness potions, my poor warrior now has an INT score of 4...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011, 07:48   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I've taken a new warrior down to 1900', still with the version I was using in the original post. So far, I have not found:

* Rod of Trap Location
* Rod of Illumination
* Any artifacts
With respect to the artifacts, I'd guess you are just a bit unlucky. For the rods, this is a corollary of the attack on items. Given the variance in these sorts of things, the attempt to stop anyone from swimming in any of them means that there is going to be some flavor or other that doesn't show up early enough pretty often. Warriors need more flavors, e.g. no one other class would make you notice the lack of illumination, so you are more likely to notice a missing flavor when playing them.

Diving hard, I often find some early flavor such as -dTraps below DL90 for the first time, after thousands of kills so it's not precisely as if I am just skipping half the game. At least you can buy scrolls for as long as it takes. You might want to buy out the alchemist now and then if stocking ?dTraps goes poorly, so try to keep some cash in reserve for that.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011, 08:20   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention I've also seen nary a sign of any lanterns. I found a few torches early on but light sources stopped getting generated before I found a lamp, and the general store never seems to stock them. I'm running around near 2000' with a Torch of Brightness.

EDIT: and I went into the dungeon without any trap detection since the alchemist was out and I'd spent my cash on a ring of slaying at the BM, only to have a summoning trap pull a Storm of Unmagic. It's only 700' out of depth! Cripes...

Posted him to the ladder for posterity's sake.

Last edited by Derakon; February 13, 2011 at 08:30.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011, 09:14   #14
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I forgot to mention I've also seen nary a sign of any lanterns. I found a few torches early on but light sources stopped getting generated before I found a lamp, and the general store never seems to stock them. I'm running around near 2000' with a Torch of Brightness.
Yeah, awhile ago Takkaria removed lanterns from the general store. At this point I would say I find one about every other game before finding the phial or an ego torch.