Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old February 27, 2011, 22:15   #1
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Code snippet to use character class as default filename when saving macros/keymaps

When saving macros and keymaps, I find that it is much more useful to save them to a class pref file instead of one named for my character. This is because macros and keymaps tend to have references to spells, like 'maa' or 'm1a' to cast Magic Missile for mages. I decided to change the default filename when saving macros or keymaps to use the character class.

Here is the change I made. I edited function dump_pref_file in ui-options.c and changed the line:
Code:
       strnfmt(ftmp, sizeof ftmp, "%s.prf", op_ptr->base_name);
to this:
Code:
        if (strcmp(title,"Dump macros")==0 || strcmp(title,"Dump keymaps")==0)
                strnfmt(ftmp, sizeof ftmp, "%s.prf", cp_ptr->name);
        else
                strnfmt(ftmp, sizeof ftmp, "%s.prf", op_ptr->base_name);
This is kind of quick-and-dirty. There might be a more elegant way to test for dumping macros or keymaps, but I didn't want to change more than necessary. Would this be a useful change to make? Do most experienced users do like I do and save macros/keymaps to class-specific pref files?
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011, 00:27   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
When saving macros and keymaps, I find that it is much more useful to save them to a class pref file instead of one named for my character. This is because macros and keymaps tend to have references to spells, like 'maa' or 'm1a' to cast Magic Missile for mages.
I have a (possibly wrong) idea that there was consensus on this point awhile ago and that Magnate was working on it. I just asked him and Takkaria what they think. It seems like a good idea to me.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please speak up.
Old February 28, 2011, 00:34   #3
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I have a (possibly wrong) idea that there was consensus on this point awhile ago and that Magnate was working on it. I just asked him and Takkaria what they think. It seems like a good idea to me.

Seems like a pretty sensible change. Another useful change to make this more future-proof would be to add some kind of marker to the individual keymaps on whether they came from a game pref file or from the user, and then only dump user keymaps to file... kind of independent of the class change, but it would make the pref files a lot cleaner.
Old March 16, 2011, 14:05   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post

It seems like an excellent idea in the meantime. I have collected a bunch of tickets about pref files and deem them connected with the whole savefile/knowledge file issue, which is my 2nd highest priority for my dev time - a piece of work which cleans up and organises what gets saved where and when. Unfortunately my highest priority is getting to the rewrite of obj-power.c and that seems to be more important at the moment - though I am willing to reconsider that view.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote