Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

View Poll Results: How do you build V?
I don't - I play a pre-built version 11 39.29%
I use the defaults - I run ./configure with no options 5 17.86%
I use --with-setgid=games for system-wide scores, but I don't change the default paths 3 10.71%
I use --with-no-install or --prefix because I want it all in one place 8 28.57%
I use specific paths (--with-configpath/libpath/varpath, --data[root]dir etc.) 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19, 2011, 21:30   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Calling all self-builders

While thinking about a minor bug to do with directory creation, it occurred to me that a poll might usefully inform some more significant decisions about the build system. If you only ever play a pre-packaged Angband (i.e. downloaded from rephial.org or from your distro's repository), don't worry about it.

Grateful for replies from anyone who consistently uses a non-standard build configuration and would like to explain it. While you're here, now's the time to bung in any "I wish the build system would let me specify X" comments too. You never know your luck.

Since you can only pick one answer in this poll, please choose the one that applies most often. Feel free to explain your minority config in the thread.

Last edited by Magnate; September 19, 2011 at 21:36.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 21:35   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
So where's the poll?
Er, this forum software publishes the post before you finish creating the poll ...
Old September 19, 2011, 22:23   #3
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
While thinking about a minor bug to do with directory creation, it occurred to me that a poll might usefully inform some more significant decisions about the build system. If you only ever play a pre-packaged Angband (i.e. downloaded from rephial.org or from your distro's repository), don't worry about it.

Grateful for replies from anyone who consistently uses a non-standard build configuration and would like to explain it. While you're here, now's the time to bung in any "I wish the build system would let me specify X" comments too. You never know your luck.

Since you can only pick one answer in this poll, please choose the one that applies most often. Feel free to explain your minority config in the thread.
Greetings,

I use a specific makefile for cygwin, which currently seems not to work.
At a later point I will try Eclipse and mingw as others have advised.

T.
Old September 19, 2011, 23:20   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
I use a specific makefile for cygwin, which currently seems not to work.
At a later point I will try Eclipse and mingw as others have advised.
Ah - well I've just installed cygwin, so I will try to patch src/Makefile so that it works. I *think* it might be as simple as
Code:
#ifdef CYGWIN
CFLAGS += -I/usr/include/ncursesw
#endif
But maybe you meant Makefile.win? The problem I'm having with building for Windows is that it can't find wingdi.h, even though it's installed. What is your issue with cygwin?
Old September 19, 2011, 23:45   #5
redrobert
Scout

redrobert is on a distinguished road
maybe i will tell a problem i had

downloaded newest version of MINGW ... didn't work

fix is easy though, just get an older version of MINGW
redrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 23:50   #6
SaThaRiel
Adept

SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Well, voted and sure you know my build options Besides...the vote for pre-packaged version is a bit "useless" here Maybe this point should be dropped...
Old September 19, 2011, 23:59   #7
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I generally prefer not to install angband into the global/system directories since I don't want to clutter them up. It is also a problem if I want to have more than one different version installed simultaneously (say, the game I interrupted in order to play the comp, which wants a different version). So I find it desirable to have a self-contained sub-directory. In fact, this is something of a problem even with --no-install since the game seems to still want to put the savefile into ~/.angband/Angband/save/ and so I can't play two versions simultaneously. Perhaps there is a config option I'm missing to make the game use ./lib/save/ as the place for a savefile?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011, 00:23   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
I generally prefer not to install angband into the global/system directories since I don't want to clutter them up. It is also a problem if I want to have more than one different version installed simultaneously (say, the game I interrupted in order to play the comp, which wants a different version). So I find it desirable to have a self-contained sub-directory. In fact, this is something of a problem even with --no-install since the game seems to still want to put the savefile into ~/.angband/Angband/save/ and so I can't play two versions simultaneously. Perhaps there is a config option I'm missing to make the game use ./lib/save/ as the place for a savefile?
No, you have hit on a bug - the --with-private-dirs option is turned on in the code even if it's not configured to be used - this is why the game still uses ~/.angband/Angband/save/ even when you use --with-no-install. I intend to fix this (ticket #1280, now brought forward to 3.4).

@SaThaRiel - the option to say "I play pre-built" is there so that people who do can vote and then see the poll results.
Old September 20, 2011, 03:45   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post

You need to include one option more "none of the above".

I do both, play prebuild versions and compile my own versions using cygwin which, if working properly, doesn't need any of the poll options. I don't use ./configure because I don't need to run anything like that. I don't even know what that does.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011, 10:41   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
You need to include one option more "none of the above".

I do both, play prebuild versions and compile my own versions using cygwin which, if working properly, doesn't need any of the poll options. I don't use ./configure because I don't need to run anything like that. I don't even know what that does.
configure is for building on unices (including MacOS) - you are quite right that the poll does not provide an option for people building their own Windows version - sorry.