Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 1, 2008, 14:53   #11
Dramed
Rookie

Dramed is on a distinguished road
Borg Stability

Is there a stability issue with the 309 borg?

I dont use the screen saver i just run the borg on an old P3 1.2 I have kicking about just to give it something to do and add to global warming

I have recently begun to run angband 309, but as yet i have not had a run of longer than 12 hours without a crash, I have tried it on 2 xp machines and 1 vista (32bit) machine, same troubles on each one. It just locks up seemingly at random and the standard windows error box pops up (report error to MS blar blar) then i have to force close the application.

I used to run angband 306 borg for weeks on end.. it would occasionally loop, or unhook, but it never crashed / locked up.

I have returned to 306, to verify if it is my machine or not, if it makes it to tomorrow, then it out performs 309 and i will leave it running.

One other question, do you have a borg forum andrew or could we have a borg section on this site? never have I seen such a dedicated angband tinkerer, keep up the good work with the borg and thx for many many hours or mind numbing fun
Dramed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2009, 01:11   #12
Sephiroth2906
Rookie

Sephiroth2906 is on a distinguished road
Talking What is he thinking!

I let the borg run in the backround at work, and after a week or so, it has a level 28 hobbit warrior, who seems to be doing ok so far, but today it did something I cannot understand. It had been using Nimthanc for a while, but, sometime during the day today it got rid of that in favor of a +8+5 Main Gauche. Why on earth would it do that? Is it a bug or is it way smarter than me? (3.0.9 btw)
Sephiroth2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009, 02:34   #13
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Is it just me, or is the latest version of the borg prone to fits of slowness? I have a fairly powerful computer, but it'll often just crawl (especially if it has to do any tunneling.) It also doesn't seem to handle rubble very well.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010, 17:11   #14
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
The 309 borg seems to be working well. I have not had any reports of crashing. On my machine it has not been crashing. The only report I have on the to-do list is that the borg is not storing things in his home correctly. I am in the middle of investigating it now. I'm not sure when it will be fixed, but I will keep on it.

I have been spending a lot of time on the zangband240 borg. You guys should try running Vampire Mindcrafters on it. If the borg can survive to level 7 then it has a good shot at making it to level 50.

Andrew
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2010, 19:11   #15
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
I've been playing with it as my screensaver and it is SO cool...

However, is there any list of "Reason for not diving" codes?

My guy is stuck is stuck at a depth of 9 at clvl 19, even set as risky....... It said 'rs tele&esc (1)'...

Is there any documentation out there?

A couple of odd things... He had a dagger +8,+3 equipped, then sold an unidentified main gauche {excellent}. ??? Does the borg identify things marked {excellent}? At least in the early levels? Also, he seemed to not be using WoR to dive, but used them to return 99% of the time until I turned it to "risky".
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010, 03:13   #16
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
I've been playing with it as my screensaver and it is SO cool...

1. However, is there any list of "Reason for not diving" codes?

My guy is stuck is stuck at a depth of 9 at clvl 19, even set as risky....... It said 'rs tele&esc (1)'...

2. Is there any documentation out there?

3. A couple of odd things... He had a dagger +8,+3 equipped, then sold an unidentified main gauche {excellent}. ??? Does the borg identify things marked {excellent}? At least in the early levels?

4. Also, he seemed to not be using WoR to dive, but used them to return 99% of the time until I turned it to "risky".
Responding:
1. Yes the list is in borg4.c. "rs" means Restock. He must immediately leave the dungeon to get something. In this case, Phase and Teleport items.

2. Borg4.c, but not what one would consider a cheat-sheet or anything.

3. Yes, he will ID {excellent} items in the equipment list, and inventory. In fact, he makes it a priority to buy ?ID if he has an {excellent} item.

4. He does not ?WoR until deeper in the dungeon (maybe depth 10 or so. He tries to save money. At $250 ?WoR can break the bank. As for leaving via ?WoR. He tends to flee the dungeon like a rat from a sinking ship. If a dungeon level is pretty scare, he tries to get off asap.

Thanks for comments. Keep the bug reports coming. I may not get here very often, but I mess with the borg almost everyday. Certainly the zborg every day.

Andrew
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2010, 12:50   #17
dhegler
Adept

Another odd thing... He was using a sling +0,+0 and found a short bow +4, +3 (or similar), then sold it or dropped it, rather than restocking with arrows rather than pebbles and shots when back in town. This was a warrior with 18+ STR, so weight couldn't have been an issue, but the missiles would have been lighter anyway.

I seem to have a problem with my borgs starving. I have had two starve to death of 6 or so deaths recently. Last night I watched him try to find his way out of level 5 (with no WoR) and go from about 9 rations to 5, which is where I stepped in. Sometimes he has odd search behavior... If I were the borg, I would search on and next to doors and at the end of hallways. However, he tends to search mid-hallway almost more than end-hallway.

As I see odd things, I will report them, if anyone is interested. On Windows 7, I can keep my mouse on my secondary montiro, wait 1 minute for hte screensaver to come up, and watch while I work on my secondary monitor. For some reason, the actual Angband 3.0.9 will not run the borg.
Old April 30, 2010, 14:58   #18
dhegler
Adept

Another suggestion... my HT Warrior is at 18/70 STR and he does not mine the gold from the walls. It would probably take an average of 10 turns to get it, and considering how "valuable" gold is to the borg, maybe there should be something in the code to check for gold in walls, unless I missed the option in there.

Perhaps that would allow my borg to go and buy more WoR so he doesn't spend so much time scumming at dlvl 1-5, actually making him more efficient...?
Old April 30, 2010, 16:58   #19
dhegler
Adept

As I watch, my borg walks right past or around gold/copper on the ground... Literally 3 spaces around... There should be very little "cost" to picking up existing gold, I would think, considering how high maintenance my borg is regarding his horrible shopping habit.
Old April 30, 2010, 17:11   #20
dhegler
Adept

Last comment... He was just using a sling +3, +3 and had an {excellent} sling in inventory. Next thing I do, I look at him in town and he either dropped it, or sold it, but kept the +3, +3!?!? I would think just about any ego item would be better than a low-power {good} sling...

Still, extremely fun to watch periodically...