Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 16, 2015, 20:33   #1
jdestef
Rookie

jdestef is on a distinguished road
new player - what turned me off to this game

Going down a set of stairs, then going back up and ending up somewhere totally different really breaks the continuity.

With the high res graphics, this game really reminds me of Castle of the Winds, an old win 3.1 game. This game appears much, much deeper which is what attracted me to it, but the discontinuity from what I mentioned just really shuts this down for me.

So close...
jdestef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 20:43   #2
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
cu and good luck

Thanks for your Input ... kinda odd that a new Player takes the effort to post here in the Forum why the game ticks him off.

Thanks for that and good luck for you in the future.

You miss maybe the best game available - if you happen to give it a 2nd try Play longer than 30 seconds
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 20:44   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yep, the game randomly-generates new levels every time you visit a given depth. It's a defining feature of Angband and sets it apart from basically all other roguelikes.

Look at it this way: since there's literally an unlimited amount of dungeon, you always have the freedom to leave a dungeon level without worrying about missing out on something: it can always be re-generated (with the exceptions of killed unique monsters or artifacts whose names you've learned).

If there were a limited amount of dungeon, then a not-insubstantial amount of the player base would feel obligated to "clear" every single dungeon level -- and that can get tedious. It's much more fun, for most players, to rapidly dive through the dungeon until they reach a depth that's as challenging as they can possibly handle, and then to hang out there until they get strong enough to dive again.

EDIT: Tibarius, no need to get defensive. We should be thanking the original poster for stopping by and giving their feedback.

Last edited by Derakon; March 16, 2015 at 20:55.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 20:46   #4
Runaway1956
Apprentice

Runaway1956 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdestef View Post
Going down a set of stairs, then going back up and ending up somewhere totally different really breaks the continuity.

With the high res graphics, this game really reminds me of Castle of the Winds, an old win 3.1 game. This game appears much, much deeper which is what attracted me to it, but the discontinuity from what I mentioned just really shuts this down for me.

So close...

Sorry that you don't like the game. But, you're a little off-target with the Windows 3.1 business. This game has history that predates Windows 3.1 by - ohhhh - a decade anyway.

I think this game appeals to almost everyone who has ever played D&D with a couple dozen dice, scraps of paper, and mass chaos all around. Ahhhh - those were the days. I was introduced to the chaos after I joined the Navy. Five to ten of us would set up in after steering, for an all night binge with the dice, some books, and our imaginations.

With a good imagination, there is no disconnect here. There are 100 levels below the town. I dive down, and explore some parts of some levels, then I come back up to resupply. Eventually, I'll find my way down to the the 100th level - or die trying.

I hope you can find something you DO like!

Have you tried Runescape?
Old March 16, 2015, 21:24   #5
jdestef
Rookie

jdestef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Thanks for your Input ... kinda odd that a new Player takes the effort to post here in the Forum why the game ticks him off.

Thanks for that and good luck for you in the future.

You miss maybe the best game available - if you happen to give it a 2nd try Play longer than 30 seconds
Don't get me wrong, I can really appreciate the depth and complexity of this game, I guess I just expected it to behave differently. COTW (https://youtu.be/EQO2KhJVrnQ) may have been a ripoff of this, but it hooked me nonetheless. Having 100 levels of continuous maps would clearly cause issues if one had to climb up every floor to get back to town so I can see the reasoning for why it's like what it is.

Re: Playing for 30 seconds - Oh, I spent an hour here and an hour there playing. After dying 4 times to fungus patches because I couldn't get away from it (*rolls eyes*) I usually quit then come back later and try again. The good games are the ones that piss you off, but you still keep coming back to them, like this one.

Re: Runescape.. lol no thanks. I'm an EQ1 fanatic. I'll be playing that in the nursing home when I'm 95.
jdestef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 22:04   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
It's entirely possible that there will be a birth option for persistent levels at some stage. It would be like forced descent where you're not forced to descend
Old March 16, 2015, 23:02   #7
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Why not just play ironman then ?

The thing is that inconsistent levels really are the (imo) best and defining feature of Angband. With a little suspension of disbelief, you get freedom to pick your preferred danger level. Most other games force you into an "appropriate" danger level, deemed such by the designer.

This completely changes the playing experience, like going from a competitive race against people in a stadium to a lone marathon in the forest where you only fight yourself.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 23:35   #8
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Castle of the Winds <3
Old March 17, 2015, 05:05   #9
Roch
Apprentice

Roch is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=jdestef;99533 the discontinuity from what I mentioned just really shuts this down for me.[/QUOTE]

You might try poschengband. The default setting has connected stairs and persistent levels, at least per dungeon visit.
Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015, 08:38   #10
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I always figure you're getting lost wandering around in a maze. It's probably more realistic then having a perfect map of Angband.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote