Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 23, 2019, 19:54   #61
Oraticus
Apprentice

Oraticus is on a distinguished road
Oh, and massive thanks to Nick and everyone who worked on this new version! Crazy that this game still has so much love after so many years!
Oraticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 09:04   #62
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Oh man. I'm still learning the ropes with the new hunger mechanic. Not the most intuitive thing, but I'm getting there . I guess 90 % is where you get overgorged and slowed down. I guess that percentage is the fill rate of the stomach and 100% is obviously painful. Mild green font does not really reflect this very well, maybe a more dramatic color would work better.

A thought to consider. Would it be an idea to warn the player, when @ is going to eat something that will overgorge him? Ask for confirmation or something. That speed penalty is a killer.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 11:13   #63
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
A thought to consider. Would it be an idea to warn the player, when @ is going to eat something that will overgorge him? Ask for confirmation or something. That speed penalty is a killer.
just remember that CCW, etc, have a "food" component, so that when you're quaffing those healing potions in the battle with Morgoth that you don't get gorged and slowed at the wrong moment in the final fight!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 12:54   #64
spara
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
just remember that CCW, etc, have a "food" component, so that when you're quaffing those healing potions in the battle with Morgoth that you don't get gorged and slowed at the wrong moment in the final fight!
Indeed. It does not even need to be one of the big guys out there. I got into trouble with a measly kobold when I was suddenly slowed down after quaffing some healing! It's an interesting mechanic, but not very intuitive imho. Not exactly sure how it could be simplified or made clearer, but in it's current state, I find it a bit challenging.
Old August 24, 2019, 15:03   #65
spara
Adept

In a fight with a blue ooze, my blackguard got a shield bash in. The following log says that the ooze is stunned and right after that it says the ooze is unaffected. The question is, unaffected from what? Can shield bash do something on top of stunning or something? The character is a lvl 6 beginning character that has absolutely nothing special on him.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ooze.png
Views:	16
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	1751
Old August 24, 2019, 16:02   #66
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
In a fight with a blue ooze, my blackguard got a shield bash in. The following log says that the ooze is stunned and right after that it says the ooze is unaffected. The question is, unaffected from what? Can shield bash do something on top of stunning or something? The character is a lvl 6 beginning character that has absolutely nothing special on him.
Attachment 1751
Shield bashing can also confuse, but I think the 'unaffected' message is a bit confusing.
Old August 24, 2019, 23:05   #67
olivertheorem
Rookie

olivertheorem is on a distinguished road
I haven't played a whole lot on 4.2.0, but I rather like the new hunger representation. I too was caught off guard the first time I got slowed by eating, but thankfully in my case I was in town at the time. I don't think this is such a bad thing, as Angband has a fair number of things that you don't know until it bites you once.

I like the increased number of different foods too. It feels much more like foraging than just finding random stuff, even though it actually is finding random stuff. :P
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 00:20   #68
u235operator
Rookie

u235operator is on a distinguished road
What does mana channel do?

I'm a 25 level mage, but I cant figure out what this spell does. Broader question, is their a listing of what all of the spells do?
u235operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 01:13   #69
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by u235operator View Post
I'm a 25 level mage, but I cant figure out what this spell does. Broader question, is their a listing of what all of the spells do?
Mana channel makes casting a spell only take half as long (technically half as much energy). If you hit '?' on the spell screen you'll get a description of the spell you're currently looking at.
Old August 25, 2019, 02:02   #70
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Why does a draught of the Ents provide no nourishment?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote