Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 23, 2015, 20:18   #701
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This is a very rough and incomplete working plan from our devteam meeting last October:
Regarding AI. As I understand it, currently all enemies use pretty much an identical AI routine (cast spell or advance or attack, then flee or die). Any chance that (after the restructure) one might lay the groundwork for individual monster AI, stored in an external, user editable file. In this way monsters could truly behave differently, rather than just having different stats and abilities.
Old April 23, 2015, 22:04   #702
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Regarding AI. As I understand it, currently all enemies use pretty much an identical AI routine (cast spell or advance or attack, then flee or die). Any chance that (after the restructure) one might lay the groundwork for individual monster AI, stored in an external, user editable file. In this way monsters could truly behave differently, rather than just having different stats and abilities.
That's a really good question. I was assuming that any AI difference between monsters would be based on monster base type, or possibly flags in monster.txt. A couple of first thoughts:
  • In a game like Angband with so many encounters, you need not to make every battle epic, so the aim would be to have differing AI only really matter in close battles.
  • You can already essentially see some AI difference between monsters with and without random movement.

The idea of an edit file specifically controlling AI fits very well with the general theme of pushing stuff out to edit files, too. Now you've distracted me...
Old April 23, 2015, 22:49   #703
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's a really good question. I was assuming that any AI difference between monsters would be based on monster base type, or possibly flags in monster.txt. A couple of first thoughts:
  • In a game like Angband with so many encounters, you need not to make every battle epic, so the aim would be to have differing AI only really matter in close battles.
  • You can already essentially see some AI difference between monsters with and without random movement.
I don't think the goal is necessarily to make every battle epic as it is to make every battle different. There are plenty of "stupid" AIs that could interact together in interesting ways. You could have e.g. a stationary construct that would fire a powerful elemental blast every 10 turns -- very predictable, no real threat on its own, but if you're being harrassed by other enemies then the added pressure to stay "in cover" away from the construct creates some interesting scenarios.

I'm not sure how much of this is feasible to implement as edit file flags, though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015, 18:35   #704
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt
Quote:
There's actually already a tiny bit of new terrain (lava and a new type of rubble) already in 4.0. I intend to keep Angband's current straightforward, uncluttered dungeon style, so there probably won't be a lot of new terrain.

Graphically in the future we probably have changes to traps, a bit more new terrain, and likely new monsters and objects. So just about anything is possible
Would the lava terrain be a single tile type, or come with the possibility to add it in as a 13 piece tileset? (all 9 outer edges, center, 4 inner edges)?
Old April 26, 2015, 21:50   #705
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockbolt View Post
Would the lava terrain be a single tile type, or come with the possibility to add it in as a 13 piece tileset? (all 9 outer edges, center, 4 inner edges)?
At this stage I don't think we've worked out how to use anything but single tile for terrain. Is some of your recent batch designed for a 13 piece tileset, and how does that work?
Old April 27, 2015, 15:38   #706
Shockbolt
Knight

Using 13 tiles to create bodies of lava, instead of using a single tile that has either floor edges with a lava pool in the middle, or no edges at all:

Rough example, the 13 tiles used are seen to the top right, grid added here to easily spot how the tiles are connected:

Looking like this in game:

This could be used for many types of terrain such as dirt, rubble, water, acid, worms, mold, moss etc

Last edited by Shockbolt; April 27, 2015 at 15:49.
Shockbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015, 18:21   #707
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I've been playing in ASCII mode for so long now, but these tiles are so beautiful! I think I have to change and start using them, once the restructure is done and they work for Angband 4.0.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015, 22:10   #708
Shockbolt
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I've been playing in ASCII mode for so long now, but these tiles are so beautiful! I think I have to change and start using them, once the restructure is done and they work for Angband 4.0.
Now we need the 13 tiles tileset for the new version Nick
Old April 27, 2015, 22:53   #709
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Now we need the 13 tiles tileset for the new version Nick
Yeah...

We currently don't have the logic to pick the right one. In fact calling the code that handles big tiles "logic" is high praise - it's a hack by me of a hack by Andrew Doull of the original hackish double width tile code, mercifully cleaned up by some people who knew what they were doing.

At this point, unless someone comes up with a magical patch, I don't think we'd be hoping to get it in to 4.0. Well not 4.0.0, anyway. And I'm not promising anything.

They really are very pretty though
Old April 28, 2015, 03:44   #710
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Rough example, the 13 tiles used are seen to the top right, grid added here to easily spot how the tiles are connected:
Looks great. Actually, with the ability to rotate the tiles, you would only need 4 of them
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angband, graphic, graphics, tileset