Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 20, 2011, 13:31   #11
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Ok I resume...

Base item: an Elven Cloak (L:2:STEALTH, L:1:SPEED)
Ego item: of the Magi (L:d2:1:INT, L:d3:1:STEALTH)

First, the base bonuses are rolled (in this case, they are fixed values) and affected to the corresponding object pvals:
pval1 = 2 (STEALTH)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED)
num_pvals = 2

Then the ego bonuses are rolled.

If 1 is rolled for INT, the INT flag is added to pval2 which stays 1. If 2 is rolled for INT, the INT flag is added to pval1 which stays 2.

Now the complex part...

If 1 is rolled for STEALTH, and 1 was rolled for INT, since the STEALTH flag on pval1 is the only flag, pval1 can be increased to 3.
pval1 = 3 (STEALTH)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED/INT)
num_pvals = 2

If 1 is rolled for STEALTH, and 2 was rolled for INT, the STEALTH flag is added to pval2 which stays 1.
pval1 = 2 (STEALTH/INT)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED/STEALTH)
num_pvals = 2

If 2 is rolled for STEALTH, and 1 was rolled for INT, since the STEALTH flag on pval1 is the only flag, pval1 can be increased to 4.
pval1 = 4 (STEALTH)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED/INT)
num_pvals = 2

If 2 is rolled for STEALTH, and 2 was rolled for INT, we're in trouble... pval1 cannot be used since it's +2 to STEALTH/INT, and pval2 cannot be used since it's +1, so the best thing to do is probably to add the STEALTH flag to pval3 which becomes 2 and num_pval is set to 3
pval1 = 2 (STEALTH/INT)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED)
pval3 = 2 (STEALTH)
num_pvals = 3

If 3 is rolled for STEALTH, and 1 was rolled for INT, since the STEALTH flag on pval1 is the only flag, pval1 can be increased to 5.
pval1 = 5 (STEALTH)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED/INT)
num_pvals = 2

If 3 is rolled for STEALTH, and 2 was rolled for INT, the STEALTH flag is added to pval3 which becomes 3 and num_pval is set to 3.
pval1 = 2 (STEALTH/INT)
pval2 = 1 (SPEED)
pval3 = 3 (STEALTH)
num_pvals = 3

In this system, the same pval flag can be assigned to different pvals. When the item requires a new value, num_pvals is increased until it reaches MAX_PVALS. If MAX_PVALS is reached, the new value is changed to the closest pval available.

This means rewriting the object description to sum the pvals for identical flags instead of just collecting all flags for each pval.

Last edited by PowerWyrm; April 20, 2011 at 14:18.
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 17:59   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
This means rewriting the object description to sum the pvals for identical flags instead of just collecting all flags for each pval.
All of the code should use a function like object_pval_of_flag(o_ptr, flag) rather than inspecting the data structures directly. Summing all applicable pvals is the obvious interpretation, but if that rule changes in the future it is better to modify a couple of lines rather than to search for every pval access.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 21:24   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
That's an entirely different problem, in that the pvals shouldn't simply be listed. Much better, if you want to add wis to magi, to describe as

an elven cloak of magi () Int+2 Wis+3 Stl+4 Spd+1
and this is trivial to accomplish with 3 pvals in the current data structures.
Er ... but it actually takes up more space on the object's title line! Don't forget we are designing with handhelds in mind, so things like long lines are to be avoided.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 21:42   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Er ... but it actually takes up more space on the object's title line! Don't forget we are designing with handhelds in mind, so things like long lines are to be avoided.
Then omit the pvals altogether, or use 2 lines. The 3 choices { full, omit, two lines } should be a display option.
Old April 20, 2011, 21:45   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The big space-taker for equipment is the equipment type. You could replace "Studded Leather Armor" with "Armor" and save 16 characters right off the bat. Or just remove it entirely, since it has to be armor given that it's in the torso slot.

Wouldn't want to do it for non-handhelds since space isn't at a premium there, of course.

Last edited by Derakon; April 20, 2011 at 21:52.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011, 21:46   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Then omit the pvals altogether, or use 2 lines. The 3 choices { full, omit, two lines } should be a display option.
Ironically I was writing a post about options as you posted this. But of the three I would go with omit altogether. IMO both the other two are hugely problematic, and the pvals are very neatly displayed in the character detail subwindow anyway.
Old April 20, 2011, 23:50   #17
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The big space-taker for equipment is the equipment type. You could replace "Studded Leather Armor" with "Armor" and save 16 characters right off the bat. Or just remove it entirely, since it has to be armor given that it's in the torso slot.

Wouldn't want to do it for non-handhelds since space isn't at a premium there, of course.
Continuing on this, I'd would rather see
a cloak Int+2 Wis+3 Stl+4 Spd+1
rather than
an elven cloak of the magi

IMO the former is more useful. Anyone who can memorize what <+2, +3, +4, +1> is supposed to mean will recognize the cloak as being the hypothetically wis-improved "of the magi" given the first desc.

If you want to save every character, then
a cloak I+2 W+3 Q+4 E+1
is just as short as full names without pvals, but then you need 1 letter abbreviations for all of the flags with pvals.
Old April 20, 2011, 23:59   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Continuing on this, I'd would rather see
a cloak Int+2 Wis+3 Stl+4 Spd+1
rather than
an elven cloak of the magi

IMO the former is more useful.
Yeah but we still want a modicum of flavour, and item names are one source of it, IMO. I don't see the need to include pvals in item names when you have a nice little table showing them all in a subwindow (or overlay, pop-up etc.).
Old April 21, 2011, 00:07   #19
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
There is a hackish version of short descriptions in current FA, which I want to do properly at some point.
Old April 21, 2011, 00:28   #20
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Yeah but we still want a modicum of flavour, and item names are one source of it, IMO. I don't see the need to include pvals in item names when you have a nice little table showing them all in a subwindow (or overlay, pop-up etc.).
The values in the one-line desc really are useful when you are looking at the contents of your home, deciding what to swap in and swap out. Also, everything about pvals on egos applies equally to pvals on artifacts. I end up inscribing what pval is what on randarts. It's also useful to get the info from the object list ']'. Heck, I want it whenever I bring up my inventory. A small inven window can be treated differently.

Is there some reason this should not be ruled by display options? Let the player choose what he doesn't want listed if space is limited.

People like me, who set up a very wide screen, should be able to get both name and pval descs in the one-line desc.