Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 26, 2018, 02:55   #111
Sideways
Adept

Sideways is on a distinguished road
It's the nature of quests (which tend to have lots of monsters in fairly small areas, and limited hiding places) that things are much more likely to go your way if most of those monsters are sleeping. The description to Eddies (which is probably an even worse offender than Volcano) even outright says as much.

I won't go so far as to call it inevitable; there are some quests where stealth isn't quite that important, like Doom Quest II with its many walls and discrete areas, or The Rise and Fall of Micro$oft; but both of those are very large quests. Of course, it would be possible to make more compact quests not stealth-heavy by tagging every monster with NO_SLEEP
Old May 26, 2018, 11:30   #112
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
Then maybe add Brands and Slays to say Rings of Archery? Ice, Fire, and Lightning arrows are well established in myth and fiction. This may require a new set of Brands, ranged only effects.

Maybe even an Arcane Archer class, all their spells require arrows.
I would sooner have the brands appear as shooter egos than put them onto a different piece of equipment entirely, even a ring of archery.

Elemental brands don't appear on rings of combat, for instance.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 12:40   #113
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I disagree
It is a choice to place a druj in a quest
What do drujs have to do with stealth, though? Underground City and Royal Crypt, the two quests with drujs, aren't unusually stealth-dependent.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:58   #114
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Many quests seem to be far easier with stealth and/or distance attacks, is that intentional
In particular, the volcano quest looks impossible for an aggravating melee character without fire immunity
As a Ninja, using stealth/hide and a bow, I have easily completed the Tengu, Mimic, Dark Elven Lords quest chain starting it at approximately CL14. The Orc Camp/Tunnels are vastly easier with high stealth.
Just bring a forest worth of arrows...
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018, 06:08   #115
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
And a long time ago, I ran a ToME2 archer character to ~cl35 doing nothing but quests (plus a red naga in the stream S of Bree, to get a good jump on EXP.) Managed to get as far as killing Eol (with a bit of luck.) I had to abuse the Warg's quest like crazy, though, to get enough junk from which to make ego and artifact bolts. (Stealth was not an issue.)
I am not convinced that this is a bad thing: archer types have traditionally been overpowered, and all classes have strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
As a Ninja, using stealth/hide and a bow, I have easily completed the Tengu, Mimic, Dark Elven Lords quest chain starting it at approximately CL14. The Orc Camp/Tunnels are vastly easier with high stealth.
Just bring a forest worth of arrows...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018, 13:00   #116
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
I think I discovered a bug
I killed a spider, and in the messages, after saying I killed it, it said that the spider jumped away, and I was left dazed
Are you sure it was the same spider? Jumping spiders always appear in groups, except in the Arena dungeon (and even there, of course, you can get spiders in adjoining rooms).
Old May 27, 2018, 14:24   #117
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
I think that in some encounters The Phoenix resurrects and in others it doesn't, is that correct
The Phoenix has a random chance to rise from its ashes, yes.
Old May 28, 2018, 19:12   #118
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Heroic is pretty still pretty poor for to_hit. (And a lot of it will be from DEX and STR bonus.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 07:55   #119
murphy
Apprentice

murphy is on a distinguished road
I tried a politician and found it frustrating.

First the start seems too punitive, your melee is poor, your stealth is poor, you dont get any spell until level 6.

Second I got the class power grit and I could not figure out what it does, the description is not helpful, and you cant turn it on and off so you cant figure its effect from the stat sheet.

Maybe this class gets powerful later, but i lost interest before I could get that far :-(
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 13:29   #120
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
I tried a politician and found it frustrating.

First the start seems too punitive, your melee is poor, your stealth is poor, you dont get any spell until level 6.

Second I got the class power grit and I could not figure out what it does, the description is not helpful, and you cant turn it on and off so you cant figure its effect from the stat sheet.

Maybe this class gets powerful later, but i lost interest before I could get that far :-(
Thanks for the feedback. I will give them a slightly better starting weapon, part of the problem is how bad that dagger is. A rapier start won't turn politicians into early-game killing machines, but at least they won't have to spend $$$ on a rapier before going into Thieves' Hideout (which I've started doing on my dagger starts).

Grit simply means that you use HP for spellcasting. Other modes are not accessible at the beginning of the game, but from level 10 you get to use AU, and from level 20 you can even use XP. AU casting is very handy in quests and other tight spots where you don't want to waste your hitpoints.

Tags
frogcomposband