AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 21, 2011, 13:01   #1
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
no selling experience

Hello.

I have been playing this game now almost three decades and selling has always been part of the game experience, so playing no selling felt very very weird at first, but after a while you got used to it. Then it you started to like it. Then love it.

No more lugging heavy objects around for selling at town. Using wands because now I have space to carry them and I don't need to sell them. Rods, same. It feels natural.

I think this is how things should be. Make this a default.

How do others feel about no selling? As a game experience, not about money you get or not get. How did it change your playing if it did?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 13:36   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Your feelings mirror my own. It gets weird when you have to switch back to selling for a competition, and keep arriving in town with nothing to sell because using useful things and tossing useless things becomes habitual very naturally.

Whether it should be the default or not, I'll leave to the maintainers. I don't really care so long as development proceeds with a no selling mindset.

This topic has got me to thinking about what Angband would be like without gold at all.
Old March 21, 2011, 15:23   #3
ulrichvonbek
Apprentice

ulrichvonbek is on a distinguished road
I would have to try it before I would know if I liked it or not, but I always enjoy bringing the rare spellbooks back to town if I have space. I feel like I'm doing my part to improve magical/theological theory on the surface world.
ulrichvonbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 15:28   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Definitely agree with you, Timo. It's great to actually be able to use all that junk that used to not be worth dedicating inventory slots to.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 15:51   #5
Tregonsee
Adept

Tregonsee is on a distinguished road
But how many people regularly go back to the stores once they have maxed their stats? I only go back when I have too many artifacts to deal with.
Tregonsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 20:34   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregonsee View Post
But how many people regularly go back to the stores once they have maxed their stats? I only go back when I have too many artifacts to deal with.
But once it is a habit, it's hard to remind yourself that you now have enough money not to lug around that big ego weapon because it will fetch 30k ...

Thanks for the post Timo. Thanks also to Buzzkill for the variant idea ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 21:14   #7
Tregonsee
Adept

Tregonsee is on a distinguished road
For me it stopped being a habit once I got maxed stats and most of the extra prayer books (I don't think I will find a copy of Wrath of God in the BM), and have now only gone back twice to offload excess artifacts.
Tregonsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011, 21:40   #8
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
I feel very contrarian here lately... I posted this in a different thread not too long ago but am reposting it here.

Quote:
The crux of why I don't like no selling is that in a super fast diving game, there is a difference in AU availability between selling and no selling. A diving character will see the same number of ego items in both games but will likely see less large AU drops. In the no selling comp char, I ended up squelching AU in the mid DL50s, compared to low 40s in the selling comp char. This difference effectively limits the ability to purchase from the BM in the early/mid game. Somebody posted back in Dec (Timo?) about selling everything to get a very early "trickery. Those albeit rare but important decisions can't occur in no selling games. Maybe with the revamped selling prices AU availibility is equal. I'm sure at a more reasonable playing/diving speed what I wrote isn't necessarily true either - Derakon seemed to have an abundance of AU in his post.
Glad you guys are liking it though.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011, 04:55   #9
Wellan
Rookie

Wellan is on a distinguished road
I'm with Timo too - I really like no selling, just because of how much more use I get out of consumables and magic devices.

I do also get what bulian means, though. I'm not sure if there's a way to reconcile a game in which selling is possible with a game in which one doesn't lug ego items around just to sell them, but maybe lowering selling prices a whole ton (while leaving gold drops fairly high) could do it. And I'd certainly choose such an option over no selling.

But as long as that doesn't happen, I'll take device use over economic decisions any day.
Wellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011, 05:02   #10
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
I definetly agree with Timo's feelings here as well. I was hesitant to try it at first, but later got to like it a lot more than selling games. I really like having more things being useful because you aren't using inventory space for things to take back to town and sell.
That said, I don't mind going back to selling when I try a competition or another variant, and occationally (though very rarely) I get in the mood to turn on the selling option when playing DaJAngband. Whatever the default is, I think it's important that it's an option.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote