Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 18, 2014, 05:43   #41
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
press _ in game it will load a file with some pre-set settings (which you can change) for auto-pick up, auto id, auto-destroy average and good items (since certain level) etc

not really clear, yeah, i dunno why it doesn't load by default

vamp ninja sounds rather hard, problems with overworld travels, food problems, exp penalty for these 'advantages' and not that straightforward class on top of that, try a human warrior as the game suggests? warriors are too straightforward imo though, i would rather picked a weaponmaster or mauler for melee

ninja should fight with light weapons only, also you can check your weapon stats with Cw (Cb for archery) and weapon skills with ~ [space] and some letter from the menu
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2014, 12:31   #42
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtoo View Post
any macros out there to pick up items and then drop if they are not excellent? as i level perception gets better, but its a hassle to manually pick up and then drop. its kind of slow.
Activate your pickup preferences ('_') and uncomment the 2 preference lines referring to picking up unidentified goodies (comments begin with '#'). So you end up with a section like:
Code:
?:[GEQ $LEVEL 35]
!nameless common armors

?:[GEQ $LEVEL 30]
!nameless common weapons

?:[GEQ $LEVEL 20]
!average common weapons
!average common armors
?:1

?:[LEQ $LEVEL 34]
(unidentified armors
(unidentified weapons
?:1
The bottom 2 preference lines will automatically pickup armor and weapons until you hit CL35 (at which point you get instant pseudo-id underfoot so picking up is not desirable). The preference lines above will auto destroy average items at CL20, good weapons at CL30 (but not good blades of chaos, or similar uncommon weapons) and finally good armor at CL35 (but not uncommon good dragon scale mail, for example).
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2014, 12:36   #43
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
press _ in game it will load a file with some pre-set settings (which you can change) for auto-pick up, auto id, auto-destroy average and good items (since certain level) etc

not really clear, yeah, i dunno why it doesn't load by default
It's leftover from Hengband. Presumably, there is the "Easy Destroyer" for beginners before graduating to the complexity of the pickup preferences. At some point, I plan to remove the Easy Destroyer since having two systems gives some bad interactions when they are both enabled. When I do this, then I'll make the pickup preferences load automatically. But for beginners, they may start wondering why the game is automatically destroying Slime Mold Juice or what not.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:29   #44
mewmew
Apprentice

Oh, Chris, could you answer please how experience penalties for classes and races stack? It sounds as something basic but it seems you are the only one who knows :3, I couldn't find it anywhere.

If I choose, say, high-elf (190% racial penalty) sorcerer (160% class penalty), will it be base 100% + 90% + 60% = 250% total exp penalty or 1.9 * 1.6 = 3.04 i.e. 304% exp penalty or it will be something else? The difference may be noticeable and I always think of exp penalties when I choose a combo to play...
Old July 19, 2014, 10:37   #45
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Oh, Chris, could you answer please how experience penalties for classes and races stack? It sounds as something basic but it seems you are the only one who knows :3, I couldn't find it anywhere.

If I choose, say, high-elf (190% racial penalty) sorcerer (160% class penalty), will it be base 100% + 90% + 60% = 250% total exp penalty or 1.9 * 1.6 = 3.04 i.e. 304% exp penalty or it will be something else? The difference may be noticeable and I always think of exp penalties when I choose a combo to play...
It's multiplicative: 1.9*1.6 in your example.
Old July 19, 2014, 11:14   #46
mewmew
Apprentice

Thank you.
Old July 19, 2014, 16:09   #47
mewmew
Apprentice

Does Zul cure mutation service remove special abilities? i.e. is it risky to use for humans and demigods?
Old July 19, 2014, 16:18   #48
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Does Zul cure mutation service remove special abilities? i.e. is it risky to use for humans and demigods?
Nope. Your special powers are safe.
Old July 19, 2014, 16:32   #49
mewmew
Apprentice

Oh, nice, thanks.
Old July 26, 2014, 15:10   #50
mewmew
Apprentice

I'm thinking of my next character and I have no idea... I want to have a) strong melee and b) healing spell which I could reliably (0% fail chance) cast a few times late game, to decrease the amount of late game potion grinding and c)to be not very bad with devices. May be it's too much to ask? I thought about playing an angel, but their melee seems truly pathetic so they are kind of hard to keep alive and to kill stuff (I just quickly leveled one to CL20 on hounds in wilderness and couldn't kill Nar the Dwarf! Hardly killed Lagduf... Eventually lost all tele scrolls (I don't remember I wasted so many tele scrolls both leveling and doing DL6 and DL12 quests, it was dozens, leveling wasn't smooth) and was killed). My other ideas are either monk (life, dunno about nature) or paladin (life) or water elemental (heh.. but acid proof armors are common, their healing is lacking though) or at the worst ordinary priest (I suppose their melee suck like angel's but they don't have 275% exp penalty either). Rangers have herbal healing but it seems rather too expensive (is it?). May be I missed some possibility too. What would be the best choice?