Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2016, 15:06   #101
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,820
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I'll add the ability to distinguish custom levels from custom towns, so you can add static levels to any server with a simple file. Custom towns will only be taken into account if MORE_TOWNS is true, custom levels will always be taken into account (and will be able to spawn/respawn monsters).

Custom town at 0ft will be hard to make. Currently, too much stuff is hardcoded for the town...
This is done for next version. The DM menu has now two options: "exit manual design (create town)" and "exit manual design (create level)". Creating a town saves a file named server.town.xxx, while creating a level saves a file named server.level.xxx. Custom levels are always loaded from memory. Custom towns are only loaded if NO_RECALL or MORE_TOWN is set to true in mangband.cfg. The old files in /lib/user/save have been renamed accordingly (to be loaded as "towns").

Currently, the rules for static levels are:
- terrain cannot be altered
- artifacts cannot be generated/dropped
- monsters cannot be generated/summoned if the level is a town

We'll see how that goes...
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016, 18:49   #102
TheHairyOne
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 50
TheHairyOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Not bugs, features

I don't see why you should get gold when resurrecting. This has been removed in PWMAngband.

Are you sure your lag problem doesn't come from unusual activity on the server? I'm playing on yukoma.duckdns.org and there's usually no lag at all.

"Fleeing" code has been ported from V and gives monsters much "smarter" options than running blindly in the opposite direction.
I thought that might be the case for some of these.

I would think either a little gold or at least some rations and a torch would be better than nothing. But its hard losing everything and trying to restart from scratch. 100gp goes a long way towards food, light, weapon, and a little armor. On the other hand, I explained to my brother (who is helping test) that its possible to restart naked and acquire everything you need to get back on your feet.

The problem is more of a stutter. You are running and when you get near where you want to be and hit a key to stop...but you keep running usually accompanied with a smalll lag surge. or you are in the dungeon moving around and you stutter and end mis moving or not moving...or the monster you were after moved and you kept going too far the way they were going. Could be something with the key buffer or the network code and keypresses, maybe. This makes things tricky especially with...

I have no problem with improved flight code for the monsters. What I have a problem with is a non-hasted monster doing the following:

#..
#o@
#..

He runs he should be a dead orc, yet maybe 30% of the time I hit them, and they move a sq...and then they move ANOTHER sq before I can take another swing.

The other situtation...where I am chasing a mob, but its almost impossible to keep on top of it because its in real time and the mob can react in real time, but you cant...and then you almost have him or you get him cornered...and you stutter and he slips away. Its very frustrating.
TheHairyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016, 18:54   #103
TheHairyOne
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 50
TheHairyOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
This is done for next version. The DM menu has now two options: "exit manual design (create town)" and "exit manual design (create level)". Creating a town saves a file named server.town.xxx, while creating a level saves a file named server.level.xxx. Custom levels are always loaded from memory. Custom towns are only loaded if NO_RECALL or MORE_TOWN is set to true in mangband.cfg. The old files in /lib/user/save have been renamed accordingly (to be loaded as "towns").

Currently, the rules for static levels are:
- terrain cannot be altered
- artifacts cannot be generated/dropped
- monsters cannot be generated/summoned if the level is a town

We'll see how that goes...
That sounds great! Thank you so much!

I already know how to deal with editing levels, adding treasure, and adding monsters. Can we get options to add doors, secret doors, traps, and treasure veins? I think that covers the full range of options a GM would need to design a custom dungeon for his player(s).
TheHairyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016, 19:03   #104
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,820
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHairyOne View Post
I thought that might be the case for some of these.

I would think either a little gold or at least some rations and a torch would be better than nothing. But its hard losing everything and trying to restart from scratch. 100gp goes a long way towards food, light, weapon, and a little armor. On the other hand, I explained to my brother (who is helping test) that its possible to restart naked and acquire everything you need to get back on your feet.

The problem is more of a stutter. You are running and when you get near where you want to be and hit a key to stop...but you keep running usually accompanied with a smalll lag surge. or you are in the dungeon moving around and you stutter and end mis moving or not moving...or the monster you were after moved and you kept going too far the way they were going. Could be something with the key buffer or the network code and keypresses, maybe. This makes things tricky especially with...

I have no problem with improved flight code for the monsters. What I have a problem with is a non-hasted monster doing the following:

#..
#o@
#..

He runs he should be a dead orc, yet maybe 30% of the time I hit them, and they move a sq...and then they move ANOTHER sq before I can take another swing.

The other situtation...where I am chasing a mob, but its almost impossible to keep on top of it because its in real time and the mob can react in real time, but you cant...and then you almost have him or you get him cornered...and you stutter and he slips away. Its very frustrating.
If you die at low level, just restart. If you die at higher level, you should have a house with spare equipment and/or money. In both cases, I don't see a point giving gold when resurrecting.

Concerning fleeing monsters, you should have auto-retaliator enabled. If the monster is cornered, it should die.

About strange movement behavior, I have changed the way PWMAngband reacts (compared to MAngband) when a character is running: 1) monsters will run at same speed and 2) running will stop when @ is two spaces away from something. This needs a bit of adaptation before getting used to.
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016, 19:04   #105
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,820
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHairyOne View Post
That sounds great! Thank you so much!

I already know how to deal with editing levels, adding treasure, and adding monsters. Can we get options to add doors, secret doors, traps, and treasure veins? I think that covers the full range of options a GM would need to design a custom dungeon for his player(s).
The menu allows you to set any feature that is in terrain.txt, so it includes everything (except traps probably).
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016, 19:07   #106
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,820
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
New PWMAngband 1.1.11 build 8 released!

Fixes a crash, a problem with repetitive commands and adds static dungeon levels.

List of changes:

- Fix the worst cases of double negative options, rearrange the options a bit
- Dungeon Master menu: add command to generate static levels where monsters can spawn
- Fix crash when an object dropped under a player is combined with a similar object
- Allow digits and extra symbols ('-', '*') in "fuzzy" name parsing when searching for monsters, objects and vaults by name
- Cancel repeated commands (searching and digging) with any new command, and not just Escape
- Removed magic numbers from CUT timer
- Save static levels as "server.level.x.y.z", rename town files to "server.town.x.y.z"

Files updated: binaries and source code.
Files are available for download at the usual location: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016, 04:59   #107
TheHairyOne
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 50
TheHairyOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
If you die at low level, just restart. If you die at higher level, you should have a house with spare equipment and/or money. In both cases, I don't see a point giving gold when resurrecting.

Concerning fleeing monsters, you should have auto-retaliator enabled. If the monster is cornered, it should die.

About strange movement behavior, I have changed the way PWMAngband reacts (compared to MAngband) when a character is running: 1) monsters will run at same speed and 2) running will stop when @ is two spaces away from something. This needs a bit of adaptation before getting used to.
Ok. If you have the Sell option you get 100gp when you res. If you are No-Sell, you get nothing. I thought there was an instance where I was getting gold, hence why I thought there might have been a bug when I didn't get gold. Now I know.

I have auto-retaliator enabled. It should die. But it doesn't always. I was thinking there might be something in the way energy is expended. I will try to track instances of this and see if I can find any common factors that might lead to this behaviour. I understand its hard to figure something out from a nebulous report, but I figure together maybe we can track it down.

I noticed those changes. Makes it harder to chase things down. Doesn't really make the game any harder...just have to play a little smarter. Its the stutter that bothers me, but I know I need to give you more info to find it...if it exists.
TheHairyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016, 09:55   #108
PowerWyrm
Veteran
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,820
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm;110492Files are available for download at the usual location: [url
http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr[/url]
Just found out that the PWMAngband page doesn't appear if you use IE, probably another compatibility problem with the Orange personal pages. So to update, connect to the site using Chrome
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016, 15:45   #109
TheHairyOne
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 50
TheHairyOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Just found out that the PWMAngband page doesn't appear if you use IE, probably another compatibility problem with the Orange personal pages. So to update, connect to the site using Chrome
Or Firefox which has been working fine for me.

BTW-Thanks for all your hard work. Its amazing to see how far Angband and its varients have come.
TheHairyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016, 19:15   #110
TheHairyOne
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 50
TheHairyOne is on a distinguished road
From my brother:

Quote:
I can get to the keymap screen by pressing "=" and then "k", and I see the options for creating and removing keymaps, as well as saving them. But I can't figure out how to set the current action, so I can actually map an action to a key. I've tried everything intuitive and nothing works. Help!?
I dont do macros and keymappings....anyone know how this is done?
TheHairyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beta version of PWMAngband 1.1.11 released PowerWyrm Variants 20 December 24, 2015 09:36
PWMAngband 1.1.10 released PowerWyrm Variants 2 April 27, 2014 23:10
Beta version of PWMAngband 1.1.10 released PowerWyrm Variants 8 December 11, 2013 18:34
PWMAngband 1.1.9 released PowerWyrm Variants 5 October 5, 2012 18:42
PWMAngband 1.1.8 released PowerWyrm Variants 3 November 27, 2011 18:19


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.