Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 14, 2016, 14:16   #41
Azuria
Rookie

Azuria is on a distinguished road
On the previous notes of object stacking, objects will only stack on the tile they are dropped on, and therefore, if there are already items on all available nearby places, and they are dropped on a staircase or doorway, those objects will be destroyed instead of being moved to a nearby tile. Also, unless this has been fixed in the last two weeks, this same thing will cause objects to be dropped inside walls if there are no empty tiles nearby.
Better to be down a point in INT than be suffering under 300HP at dl 70.
I should probably take note of this.
Azuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016, 14:40   #42
Sphara
Scout

Sphara is on a distinguished road
This probably isn't a bug or anything just me not knowing how Probing prayer works.

So I had no spoiler files and I encountered Carcharoth. Did not remember what breaths he had. I was almost omniresistant so I thought, what the heck I'll probe him.

After probing, monster info gave me: He can breathe darkness (400) and in the end "You know everything about this monster". I was absolutely positive that was not its only breath attack and right I was. Does probing only give you the amount of hitpoints and why that false sentence at the end of the monster info?
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016, 15:13   #43
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
This probably isn't a bug or anything just me not knowing how Probing prayer works.

So I had no spoiler files and I encountered Carcharoth. Did not remember what breaths he had. I was almost omniresistant so I thought, what the heck I'll probe him.

After probing, monster info gave me: He can breathe darkness (400) and in the end "You know everything about this monster". I was absolutely positive that was not its only breath attack and right I was. Does probing only give you the amount of hitpoints and why that false sentence at the end of the monster info?
If you are playing the latest nightly, this is probably related to the monster memory bug that crept in on that one. See upthread.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016, 15:35   #44
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Breaking up parse_standarts() introduced some regressions:

- count_weapon_abilities() + count_bow_abilities(): min_to_h/min_to_d were using MINIMISE in randcalc, now using MAXIMIZE (looking at the old code, MINIMIZE was used when the mean_xxx_startval was substracted and MAXIMIZE was used if that was not the case)

- count_bow_abilities(): min_to_a/bonus values for AC are wrong (min_to_a should simply be the randcalc, and bonus should do the art->to_a - min_to_a - mean_ac_startval)

- splitting AC bonus values into the count_xxx functions removed the case where the AC is on the weapon (only supercharged AC is counted in count_weapon_abilities), IMO the whole AC part should be left as it was before, but in a separate function count_ac() or such

- check for tunnelling ability should probably be with the other modifiers in count_modifiers() instead of count_nonweapon_abilities()
Old November 14, 2016, 16:46   #45
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
The art_freq field in struct artifact_data is never used, there's a variable declared in scramble_artifact() that is used instead.
Old November 16, 2016, 02:47   #46
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
In version 4.0.5 sometimes when I quaff stat potions nothing happens, as in it has no effect. Just now my DEX was 18/80 and I quaffed a DEX potion and it stayed at 18/80 and I am still 2 DEX away from my next blows increase.

EDIT I'm at DEX! not DEX: Didn't realize I maxed out at 18/80. Oh well.

Also, sometimes when uniques (or maybe it's not just uniques) summon monsters the monsters don't seem to be awake. This ends up helping me and hindering the unique. Seems a bit buggy.Like, maybe the summons are awake, but until they see me they won't do pursue me and stay put blocking the summoner.

Amazing. Drop a bunch of stuff to go take on Itagast. Confront a nexus vortex; okay, what are the odds; I haven't seen one of these in ages. Should I put on my boots of stabilty? Nah, this thing has low hitpoints, I'll just zap it with a mithril arrow. Arrow doesn't kill it (thought for sure it had low hitpoints?) v breathes nexus, You rise up through the ceiling. This is the 3rd nexus I've faced. The first one I killed and the second one rose me up through the ceiling. And now the third rose me up through the ceiling. Grrrr.

Last edited by Grotug; November 16, 2016 at 03:22.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016, 02:56   #47
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
In version 4.0.5 sometimes when I quaff stat potions nothing happens, as in it has no effect. Just now my DEX was 18/80 and I quaffed a DEX potion and it stayed at 18/80 and I am still 2 DEX away from my next blows increase.
Is that your internal stat at 18/80, or your displayed stat taking into account race/class/equipment modifiers? If the sidebar ingame says "DEX! 18/80" (not the exclamation point) then you've maxed your DEX out and more stat potions won't do anything. If it says "DEX: 18/80" then something else is going on.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016, 03:23   #48
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Is that your internal stat at 18/80, or your displayed stat taking into account race/class/equipment modifiers? If the sidebar ingame says "DEX! 18/80" (not the exclamation point) then you've maxed your DEX out and more stat potions won't do anything. If it says "DEX: 18/80" then something else is going on.
Yes, I just realized after finding a ?descent and reading it, and immediately finding a !Augment that my dex was !. I shoulda noticed! my bad.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016, 12:27   #49
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Breaking up parse_standarts() introduced some regressions:

- count_weapon_abilities() + count_bow_abilities(): min_to_h/min_to_d were using MINIMISE in randcalc, now using MAXIMIZE (looking at the old code, MINIMIZE was used when the mean_xxx_startval was substracted and MAXIMIZE was used if that was not the case)

- count_bow_abilities(): min_to_a/bonus values for AC are wrong (min_to_a should simply be the randcalc, and bonus should do the art->to_a - min_to_a - mean_ac_startval)

- splitting AC bonus values into the count_xxx functions removed the case where the AC is on the weapon (only supercharged AC is counted in count_weapon_abilities), IMO the whole AC part should be left as it was before, but in a separate function count_ac() or such

- check for tunnelling ability should probably be with the other modifiers in count_modifiers() instead of count_nonweapon_abilities()
Thanks for these. I actually think the AC is the opposite of what you said - the regular AC on weapons is being counted as before, but the supercharged no longer is. I think in fact before non-supercharged AC on weapons was being counted twice - once for melee and once for general. Also tunneling is split into two, melee and general, which is why it isn't in with the other modifiers.

I've made your first two changes, added the supercharged AC on weapons again (instead of the regular one if appropriate) and left tunneling alone - I think the changes now can be regarded as bugfixes to the original code
Old November 16, 2016, 13:27   #50
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuria View Post
On the previous notes of object stacking, objects will only stack on the tile they are dropped on, and therefore, if there are already items on all available nearby places, and they are dropped on a staircase or doorway, those objects will be destroyed instead of being moved to a nearby tile. Also, unless this has been fixed in the last two weeks, this same thing will cause objects to be dropped inside walls if there are no empty tiles nearby.
Thank you, this has enabled me to track down the problem - when searching for nearby grids, it was assuming the stack size 1 option was on

New version is now up, with disappearing object bug and monster memory bug fixed, as well as PowerWyrm's latest randart fixes. Note that the earlier ones - chance for things to raise indefinitely, etc - I have not fixed because there are going to be more changes which affect balance anyway. These changes will probably happen after curses are refined a bit, and will include an attempt at a sensible way of handling the new curses. I will also probably a removal of a bunch of tweaks on the grounds that bigger changes will have rendered them obsolete - I'm sure new tweaks will emerge when the code settles down again.