Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 15, 2016, 23:52   #1
ripforareason
Apprentice

ripforareason is on a distinguished road
Building an archer to kill Morgoth

What would be the best way to go about this? From what I have seen on the ladder, most people seem to build stealth archers, but I don't really like doing the whole stealth thing, or doing the ascension with Morgoth alive. What skills should I be taking?

I gave it a few tries with Sindar^Falathrim and going for Sprinting with Archery abilities and Weaponsmith for arrows, but the character just felt weak by around 550' and could not really pull off the "Run away and use Crippling Shot" thing any more. Even a Edain feels stronger.
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2016, 00:23   #2
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Not sure I can give advice to ppl uploading an Edain win as their first win

If you don't like stealth, fear + light is an alternative to not get swamped as archer.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2016, 00:32   #3
ripforareason
Apprentice

It's not my first win, I just decided to register today so I've been uploading my dumps.

I was tempted to go for point-blank archery and just play like a warrior, but it felt a bit wasteful to have both Careful Shot and Point-blank when I have all the other abilities that I need to get.
Old December 16, 2016, 02:50   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sprinting and sleep spell (song) is a common choice.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 16:47   #5
ussgordoncaptain
Rookie

ussgordoncaptain is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately in order to take 3 silmarils out of the crown you need to have quite a bit of melee, and song of sharpness to take the silmarils out of the crown making pure archery impossible.

Here are some sample archers from the latest version

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18559
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19860
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18903

All 3 of these characters took flaming arrows and little else. (2 of them took dexterity from archery) and none took point of dexterity from archery. All 3 put 20 points into melee and lots of evasion. You need all that melee to take 3 silmarils so you can win. So your best bet is a hybrid Archer/fighter character abusing Sprinting.
ussgordoncaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 17:38   #6
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussgordoncaptain View Post
Unfortunately in order to take 3 silmarils out of the crown you need to have quite a bit of melee, and song of sharpness to take the silmarils out of the crown making pure archery impossible.
You can get 100% sharpness with the right weapon or a sharpy+song of sharpness & enough song. You usually want sharpness on an archer anyway.

I'm probably the wrong person to give advice as my last straight archer failed to kill morgy. I did get the impression that he's easier to shoot down outside the throne room though.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 17:41   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Solution: kill him and take his hat.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 17:51   #8
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
One thing worth a try is a high grace finarfin with elbereth, mastery & sharpness.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 20:53   #9
ussgordoncaptain
Rookie

ussgordoncaptain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
You can get 100% sharpness with the right weapon or a sharpy+song of sharpness & enough song. You usually want sharpness on an archer anyway.

I'm probably the wrong person to give advice as my last straight archer failed to kill morgy. I did get the impression that he's easier to shoot down outside the throne room though.
sure with 2 sharp weapons and a high song you can just break the crown, if your character is that lucky! Sadly getting 2 sharp weapons is hard to find. Realistically with 10 song 4 grace, an amulet of the blessed realm and a potion of grace you will have 18 song. Which if you get 2 sharp weapons should be enough to easily break. But 2 sharp weapons is pretty unlikely!
ussgordoncaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016, 21:16   #10
ripforareason
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussgordoncaptain View Post
sure with 2 sharp weapons and a high song you can just break the crown, if your character is that lucky! Sadly getting 2 sharp weapons is hard to find. Realistically with 10 song 4 grace, an amulet of the blessed realm and a potion of grace you will have 18 song. Which if you get 2 sharp weapons should be enough to easily break. But 2 sharp weapons is pretty unlikely!
What do you mean by "break the crown"? Is this another way of saying "extract 3 silmarils"?

I don't think it's too rare to find two sharp weapons. In many of my own games I've found at least two of Angrist, Nargil, Anglachel/Anguirel (only seen once), and Saithnar. I've never seen some of the sharp items, though, like Celeg or Ogbar. To be fair, I typically get to 950' around 11-13k turns and scum 950 for another 16k. I seem to find Angrist and Saithnar in particular pretty often, and I can usually extract 2 Sils with a junk weapon on the ground and Song of Sharpness and then another with Angrist after breaking said junk weapon. I'm not sure how well this would work on an archer, though.