Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 18, 2016, 14:30   #1
protopulse
Apprentice

protopulse is on a distinguished road
Is there anywhere I can find a summary of differences between mpasil and sil?

Tried looking through forums here but did not find anything. Forgive me if I missed it.
protopulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016, 19:54   #2
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
Here's the full 1.3 branch - it's not a huge amount to browse through and there's no convenient list other than that really, but to roughly summarise the notable stuff:

* Remove amnesia (from mewlips and amnesia traps).
* Improve a few other interface annoyances (allow examining items from afar to see their weight, don't recolour all monsters to red when raging, always display all monster info, recolour/reglyph various items, monsters and features).
* Simplify identification, especially for cases where it's obvious to the player what an item really is (so all artefacts are identified on sight, slaying weapons become identified when you see them glow, and various other things are identified on use or equip when in vanilla you might need to make sure to set up a special situation to ensure the game identifies it).
* Make Lore-Keeper display which items are "tainted" (things that are either explicitly cursed, or are otherwise dangerous to use, such as bad potions or staves of summoning).
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016, 21:32   #3
protopulse
Apprentice

Ah, that does sound really nice. Lots of QoL features. I suppose it's also marginally easier than vanilla as well (predictable starting weapon weight, maprot removal, easier ID, removed skill prerequisites, not wasting turns when picking up items with full inventory, easier ascent). Although the removal of effects of throwing potions somewhat counteract that. I can understand removal of holiday events as well since those they give unfair advantages (which wouldn't matter normally, but would ruin the integrity of the competitive ladder if you were to post your dump file online). Another thing I really like is the additions to the dump file. Look forward to giving it a try.

Last edited by protopulse; December 28, 2016 at 21:37.
Old December 28, 2016, 22:24   #4
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Are there actually skill prerequisite changes in MPA 1.3 that aren't in vanilla Sil? I don't think there were anymore.
Old December 28, 2016, 23:37   #5
protopulse
Apprentice

This was what I was looking at.

https://github.com/MarvinPA/mpa-sil/...26687e341cfe9e

https://github.com/MarvinPA/mpa-sil/...7a89f354a65484

As far as I can tell, those haven't been reverted. I wish I could test the changes out myself, but I'm still scratching my head why mpa-sil (and sil) refuses to compile.
Old December 29, 2016, 01:03   #6
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by protopulse View Post
As far as I can tell, those haven't been reverted. I wish I could test the changes out myself, but I'm still scratching my head why mpa-sil (and sil) refuses to compile.
If you post the output from what you're trying to do, we may be able to help.
Old December 29, 2016, 03:39   #7
protopulse
Apprentice

Oh, I mentioned it here, and so didn't want to clog up the forums with another post about it.

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8160

Figured most people probably compiled from Linux/Unix based operation systems. If someone compiled from Windows, I'm guessing they would have ran into similar issues since as far as I could tell, I was following the directions from compile.txt to the letter.

Also made a reddit thread about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/...il_on_windows/
Old December 29, 2016, 04:42   #8
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by protopulse View Post
Oh, I mentioned it here, and so didn't want to clog up the forums with another post about it.

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8160

Figured most people probably compiled from Linux/Unix based operation systems. If someone compiled from Windows, I'm guessing they would have ran into similar issues since as far as I could tell, I was following the directions from compile.txt to the letter.

Also made a reddit thread about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/...il_on_windows/
Are you committed to playing the windows "thick client", or would you be OK playing the terminal version?

If you're ok playing terminal (GCU), maybe try editing Makefile.std, comment out the two lines under the "Standard -- main-x11.c. main-gcu.c" section, and instead uncomment the two lines under "## Variation -- "main-gcu.c"".

From there, try make -f Makefile.std and perhaps you'll get farther. (I can only guess that cygwin comes with libncurses already installed. If not, you may have to install that package.)

Edit: Upon re-reading this, it sounds a lot more certain than I really am that it will work. But it's worth a shot
Old December 29, 2016, 05:34   #9
protopulse
Apprentice

Well, what do you know. The thing actually compiled and ran.

http://imgur.com/a/LNkpz

I did have to install the curse package. Wasn't sure which one was the right one, so I installed like all of them.

When you said terminal, this wasn't quite what I had in mind though. I've seen a version of Sil where you get a window that's separated into four quarters (main game window, combat rolls, inventory, and equipment), and I'd be totally fine playing on that.

This...not so much. Plus it's lagging a bit for unknown reasons. Still really happy I got it to compile at all of course. I guess next step is to see if I can get the "thick client" or any of the other ones to compile.
Old December 29, 2016, 10:22   #10
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
I use Linux, but for me sil -mgcu does what you want (screen split in four, with dungeon, inventory, equipment and roll window) if the terminal is big enough -- have you tried resizing it? You should try to do that *before* starting Sil: apparently the game does not react perfectly well to terminal resizing.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote