Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2017, 18:59   #1
ripforareason
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 61
ripforareason is on a distinguished road
A few questions on game mechanics

- How exactly does player perma-haste work? Does it apply to both attacks and movement, or is it just like having Sprinting on at all times?

- I'm a little confused about how Concentrate works, or, in particular, what breaks concentration. If I have ZoC or have Rage active, but attack the same enemy each turn, will I still build up a concentration bonus? What about flanking - does it count as an attack for the purposes of concentration? What about targetting an enemy with an arrow and missing? It would be nice to have a status counter that showed what's going on with this ability.

- I know Finesse reduces the base number needed for a critical hit from 7 + weight to 6+ weight. The description of subtlety says it reduces the base number by 2. Does this mean the critical hit number is now 4 + weapon weight, or is the "base" still treated as 7 (in which case it would be 5 + weight)?
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017, 21:09   #2
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,261
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripforareason View Post
- How exactly does player perma-haste work? Does it apply to both attacks and movement, or is it just like having Sprinting on at all times?
It applies to attacks and movement. "Fast" is 1.5x normal speed, not 2x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripforareason View Post
- I'm a little confused about how Concentrate works, or, in particular, what breaks concentration. If I have ZoC or have Rage active, but attack the same enemy each turn, will I still build up a concentration bonus? What about flanking - does it count as an attack for the purposes of concentration? What about targetting an enemy with an arrow and missing? It would be nice to have a status counter that showed what's going on with this ability.
Sil separates attacks into something like "directed" and "reactive". Directed attacks happen when you explicitly take an action by moving or bumping (e.g. hitting something, flanking something.) Reactive attacks happen as a side-effect of a directed action from player or monster (e.g. initial bump causes a rage whirlwind on adjacent monsters, monster movement triggers ZoC or opportunist.)

IIRC, directed attacks build and break concentration, the others do not. You can confirm this for yourself by turning on the combat rolls window and watching what's happening.

Specifically re: your shooting question, missing an opponent doesn't kill concentration, but it will kill it if you accidentally hit a different target (e.g. arrow flies over your target and hits the dude behind it.)

I think some of this stuff about which attacks count for what is in the manual, but the combat roll window is always the easiest way to answer these questions, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripforareason View Post
- I know Finesse reduces the base number needed for a critical hit from 7 + weight to 6+ weight. The description of subtlety says it reduces the base number by 2. Does this mean the critical hit number is now 4 + weapon weight, or is the "base" still treated as 7 (in which case it would be 5 + weight)?
Finesse + subtlety = base 4.
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Last edited by debo; January 2, 2017 at 23:25.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017, 21:26   #3
ripforareason
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 61
ripforareason is on a distinguished road
Ok, thanks. There's nothing about directed or reactive attacks in the manual, so I assumed there was no distinction. This makes concentration a whole lot less attractive... since flanking doesn't build it, and when you fight enemies in hallways, they like to swap with one another to break concentration.
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017, 22:35   #4
Patashu
Swordsman
 
Patashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 483
Patashu is on a distinguished road
Maybe Concentration should be permissive - direct attacks build and break it, reactive attacks on your target build it, reactive attacks not on your target don't break it.
__________________
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017, 22:54   #5
ripforareason
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 61
ripforareason is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Maybe Concentration should be permissive - direct attacks build and break it, reactive attacks on your target build it, reactive attacks not on your target don't break it.
Since the ranged attack system knows how to autotarget, the game should be able to figure out which enemy you are "targetting" each turn. It ought to work in the way you'd expect: if you make a directed or reactive attack at your "target" you gain a point towards concentration each consecutive turn.
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017, 22:58   #6
seraph
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 68
seraph is on a distinguished road
yeah, hitting the thing behind your target is especially heinous.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2017, 00:16   #7
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 418
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripforareason View Post
flanking - does it count as an attack for the purposes of concentration?
I admit I only quickly skimmed the source, so it's not 100% clear, but it appears (to me at least) that any attack that targets the same monster counts for the Concentration bonus. In particular, Flanking, Controlled Retreat, Zone of Control, and Riposte are all ok. And missing the (same) target does not break the bonus (whether shooting or swinging). Although, as debo said, if you "accidentally" hit something else with an arrow, that will break the bonus, as will e.g. Riposting or Zone of Control against a *different* enemy, whether you hit them or not.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poschengband game mechanic questions Fnord Variants 259 September 7, 2016 05:15
Mechanics questions wobbly Sil 7 November 13, 2013 12:01
proposal for missile mechanics saarn v4 7 May 31, 2012 15:36
Trying to understand Ranger playing mechanics dormouse Vanilla 5 December 15, 2009 11:43
Question regarding play mechanics opeth2112 Vanilla 12 April 27, 2009 22:40


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.