Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 5, 2017, 19:17   #41
Slatour71
Rookie

Slatour71 is on a distinguished road
If a Skillmaster is taking points in Health, does it matter when they take the points? For example, if I take a point at level 20, will I get the same amount of bonus by level 50 as if I took a point at level 1? I am thinking about maxing it out, but I won't have points until levels 40, 45, and 50.
Slatour71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017, 01:08   #42
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatour71 View Post
If a Skillmaster is taking points in Health, does it matter when they take the points? For example, if I take a point at level 20, will I get the same amount of bonus by level 50 as if I took a point at level 1? I am thinking about maxing it out, but I won't have points until levels 40, 45, and 50.
All health points do (in the skillmaster file at least) is this:
class_ptr->stats[A_CON] += pts; // so just bonus con
class_ptr->life += 4*pts; // so just bonus to life rating
class_ptr->base_hp += 7*pts; // so just bonus base health

So no, shouldn't matter. I hope so too - my skillmaster takes health at 25/30/35.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017, 01:17   #43
Slatour71
Rookie

Slatour71 is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I am not savvy in the ways of computer jargon or I would have looked it up myself.
Slatour71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017, 17:35   #44
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Yet another release in yet the same place. 5.0.5 this time.

The big change this time is the addition of a new class: The Skillmaster
I think this should be v. 5.1

Falling back into my habit of writing an endless list of feedback before finally posting it... Been messing around both with delicate and straightforward characters, and either I found my characters dying by the score during the very early game or making very slow progress, even with innate Detection, but the latter might be because of my very cautious style of play.

Bugs

- the game gives away the ego or artefact status of an item by automatically trying to pick them up
- enemies can range-attack hidden ninjas. I believe this bug only occurs since the battle against Meng Huo, but perhaps that's because he has so many ranged attackers with him, all of which are awake from the beginning. Or indeed, would ninjas be too powerful if they can hide from ranged attacks...?
- my (levitating) high elf ninja deliberately walks into gas traps and discoloured spots, but automatically tries to disarm all other traps as expected
- the failure rate of the dwarves' bonus power (Detect Doors and Traps) seems to always remain at 95%. Same with the yeeks' power to Scare Monster, but perhaps that was because my ninja had become polymorphed into a yeek.

Tweaks

- tell the player when the character has gained a new race or class power or resistance
- when buying stackable items in shops, 'a' should mean "as many as possible"
- if certain characters are about to put on all too heavy armour, warn them, ideally telling them by how many pounds they would exceed their current armour limit
- in the manual section on missile launchers, please explain what the (x/y) after every stack of ammunition means
- if there is only one item to pick up from the floor, the game should not prompt before picking them up
- if you 'l'ook at a creature with changed status, display the status(es) in parenthesis after the name, e.g. "a Hill orc (slowed, confused)". Additionally, you could point out the statuses in the creature's health bar, replacing the asterisks with e.g. 'c's to indicate confusion
- your compassion should only drop when you corner an opponent ("The <foo> turns to fight!"), not when they regain their courage
- if the game prompts you for picking things up, accept 'g' as "yes" (so you can just press 'g' twice)
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017, 13:10   #45
murphy
Apprentice

murphy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZE View Post
I had an idle thought while contemplating potential skillmaster builds:

How does their throwing skill interact with permacursed weapons? You aren't necessarily guarenteed that your weapon comes back, or that you catch it, after all.
From my own experience, if your weapon becomes cursed, you can no longer throw it. So no loophole there.

Infact, seems prudent to carry some remove curse scrolls!
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017, 13:13   #46
murphy
Apprentice

murphy is on a distinguished road
Just to note a bug I noticed, that isnt new to this version.

Sometimes when you dig rubble you get a 'you found something' message, but no object is really there
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017, 22:44   #47
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Frost giants are not vulnerable to Fire. On the other hand, Fire giants are not vulnerable to Cold. Apparently, the Elder giant forms of these these two counterparts are definitely vulnerable to the opposite Element

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as MjolnirExcalibur (formerly AzureExcalibur777) (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My featured Heritage 65 playthrough videos (from GAME START to the 37 hour 34 min mark) on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZhC9H98cVTz9BK
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017, 22:53   #48
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Frost giants are not vulnerable to Fire. On the other hand, Fire giants are not vulnerable to Cold. Apparently, the Elder giant forms of these these two counterparts are definitely vulnerable to the opposite Element
That's because they're older... oh wait, that's not how it works in PCB .

You'd imagine that an Elder Giant would be age-worn, wrinkled and with a cane at least.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017, 00:34   #49
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalia View Post
That's because they're older... oh wait, that's not how it works in PCB .

You'd imagine that an Elder Giant would be age-worn, wrinkled and with a cane at least.
In PCB, the Elder giants have WAY more breathing power, HP, and melee power, and move much faster than their younger counterparts.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as MjolnirExcalibur (formerly AzureExcalibur777) (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):

My featured Heritage 65 playthrough videos (from GAME START to the 37 hour 34 min mark) on YouTube:
Old February 9, 2017, 04:06   #50
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

This has probably been mentioned already:
You can escape from ambushes if the nearby monsters are asleep during the ambush. And occasionally, sleeping monsters DO show up during ambushes.

Edit: I keep mentioning this because [1] ambushes by sleeping monsters and [2] being able to flee from ambushing sleeping monsters just don't seem right.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; February 9, 2017 at 06:35.