Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 6, 2017, 16:02   #71
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Interesting statistic! The reason standarts win is Thorin, which is an excellent shield that also comes with (realatively worthless) acid immunity. I had in fact forgotten about it when I made my previous post, mostly because I dont value acid immunity highly.

If we disregard acid immunity, it becomes 9/11 for stadart and 12/11 for randart games.

I now suspect that "more immunities in randart games" is just a subjective perception.

On a side note, impressive list there I thought I was the only one playing that many vanilla games.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 16:25   #72
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Newbie players tend to value acid immunity disproportionately highly, since they're so sensitive to equipment damage.

And yeah, Thorin is ridiculously good. Even without acid immunity it has +4 STR, +3 CON, free action, fear immunity, and a couple nice-to-have resists. A randart shield with just +4 STR/+3 CON would almost certainly get significant use.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017, 09:28   #73
Huqhox
Scout

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
I'm playing on the latest randart build (that writes the randart.txt file) and have written a program to compare randart.txt to artifact.txt to see what the broad brush differences are. I've only played one game so only have one set of randarts to go on but it certainly generated more immunities in the randarts:

Immunity to Acid 5 (+1)
Immunity to Cold 7 (+3)
Immunity to Electricity 6 (+1)
Immunity to Fire 7 (+0)

The number after the immunity is the number of artifacts with that immunity in the randarts. The number in brackets is the comparison to standarts.

The resistances are mostly all also more common, all except for fire (and disen is the same):

Resist Acid 41 (+6)
Resist Chaos 20 (+10)
Resist Cold 44 (+3)
Resist Dark 32 (+2)
Resist Disenchantment 15 (+0)
Resist Electricity 43 (+12)
Resist Fire 41 (-4)
Resist Light 34 (+11)
Resist Nether 18 (+5)
Resist Nexus 15 (+4)
Resist Poison 32 (+16)
Resist Shards 8 (+1)
Resist Sound 12 (+5)

What is noticeable is that any malus that the standarts have has been uniformly dropped in the randarts:

Constitution -5 0 (-1)
Dexterity -3 0 (-3)
Intelligence -3 0 (-2)
Speed -10 0 (-1)
Stealth -1 0 (-4)
Stealth -4 0 (-1)
Strength -3 0 (-2)
Wisdom -3 0 (-2)
Wisdom -4 0 (-1)

On the other hand the +15 speed bonus from Fëanor has also been nerfed in my set

I might roll a few more sets up and gather some proper stats
Old March 7, 2017, 11:53   #74
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Maluses will disappear because there's no "mixed" option in randart generation. Either the artifact has a negative power and it'll get mostly curses, or its power is positive and only bonuses are added (except for 1 out of 5000 randarts which get a random curse).
Old March 7, 2017, 12:28   #75
Huqhox
Scout

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Maluses will disappear because there's no "mixed" option in randart generation. Either the artifact has a negative power and it'll get mostly curses, or its power is positive and only bonuses are added (except for 1 out of 5000 randarts which get a random curse).
I figured as much and I did forget to note that curses have been added.

It was really the general addition of resistances and immunities that was relevant to the discussion