Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old March 12, 2017, 06:21   #1
ebering
Rookie

ebering is on a distinguished road
Minor variation

Introducing "ebering-sil" a.k.a mpa-sil plus some earthquakes tweaks and the quiver user interface for throwing.

https://github.com/ebering/ebering-sil

Check it out.

Get a Throwing Mastery win.

Knock the crown off in a duel of earthquakes.

Current change log:

Code:
- ebering-sil 1.3 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- throwing
        - throwable items can be placed in the quiver in place of arrows and
          thrown with f/F
        - throwable items held this way don't count as wielded for granting
          passives and abilities.
        - assassination and cruel blow now apply to thrown attacks, when made
          with weapons designed for throwing.

- monsters
        - Morgoth's crown can now be knocked off by earthquakes caused by the
          player. (Tricking a Kemenrauko into earthquaking Morgoth will not
          work.)
        - Morgoth's crown can now be knocked off by causing him to falter with
          Song of Mastery

- items
        - Horn of Blasting now creates an earthquake in power proportional to
          the player's will score, like the staff.

- abilities
        - Lore-Master does not identify all items
                - Instead it (after a perception check against staircasiness) reveals a
                  level feeling. Either valuable (forges and lesser vaults) or great
                  importance (enchanted forges and greater vaults).
        - Focused Attack and Concentration give bonuses to Sil cutting.

- interface
        - Split wield into two commands. 'w' works as the old wield, but always
          goes into the default slot. 'W' wields an item into an alternate
          slot, if applicable. These are the off-hand for two weapon fighting
          and the quiver for throwable items.

- character dumps
        - List starting skills in the notes
        - Note reaching multiples of 5 in a skill thereafter.

- bugfixes
        - Correctly apply monster protection to earthquakes.
        - Correctly give chanelling bonus to staff of earthquakes.
        - Fix Gorthaur's song to summon the correct monster.
Future plans
Code:
- char dumps
  - track consumables (generated, found, used)
  - action tracker a la crawl???????

- code cleanup?
  - do some things mirroring the vanilla 4.0.0 re-factoring (but not autoconf. never that.)
  - fix main-gcu so that it correctly takes advantage of colors
  - add background highlighting to curses for unwary monsters (doing this depends
    on the previous bulletpoint) if enough colors are available in the terminal.

- dgamelaunch support????????
  - probably not too hard, just a no menu main that must be started with correct flags for everything
  - milestones from standard player notes
  - mail scrolls with the notes items??? man would it suck if a big red D burned your mail though.
  - probably not

Last edited by ebering; April 3, 2017 at 20:16.
ebering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017, 03:09   #2
ripforareason
Apprentice

ripforareason is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of having Lore-master reveal things about the dungeon like forges and vaults. In theory, it could be a bit abusable with smithing, but you still have to go find the forge without falling through a false floor.
ripforareason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017, 18:38   #3
ebering
Rookie

In thinking more about it I probably don't want to distinguish between vaults and forges. Just something like vanilla level feeling: could be dangerous, could be great rewards.

This isn't a stable release yet so (as edited above) changes will sneak in when I feel like it. Now available: a Mastery win condition.

I'm thinking also about changing the scoring formula. Killing V, while impressive, isn't the point. It doesn't make sense that a player dying after killing V scores higher than a 3-sil winner that didn't kill V. (Ok maybe I'm just mad that my ladder spot for my 3-sil is crap because I didn't kill V.) The current formula is your score is the number:

VDD,STT,TTT

Where
Code:
    V = { 1 if morgoth dead, 0 if alive}
    DD = { final depth (1-41), with up floors counting as 40-depth and escape at 41 }
    S = { #silmarils }
    TTTTT = { max{ 0, 99999-Turns }}
The easiest change is dropping the V digit. This way winners always score over dead players, with the best score going to the fastest 3-siler. Yes, killing V is impressive and deserves a reward; the reward is the easier time getting 3 sils and escaping. Would be interested in other opinions on the matter.
Old March 14, 2017, 19:27   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebering View Post
The easiest change is dropping the V digit. This way winners always score over dead players, with the best score going to the fastest 3-siler. Yes, killing V is impressive and deserves a reward; the reward is the easier time getting 3 sils and escaping. Would be interested in other opinions on the matter.
You could also change it to DDVSTTTTT, so killing Morgoth doesn't matter unless you also win.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017, 20:19   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I don't feel like the scoring should change. Tolkien is full of legendary heroes who died soon after, or even while fighting their most impressive enemy. Being dead is only shameful when you were still carrying Silmarils, since that way they'll fall back into evil hands. The stated objective in the game is recovering a Silmaril, but killing Morgoth is killing Morgoth.
Maybe it should just be harder to kill Morgoth, so that people who recover the Silmarils still get an impressive achievement?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017, 20:48   #6
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Wobbly will love you for the earthquake changes. He probably would have earthquake wins already, if it were possible in the versions he played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I don't feel like the scoring should change. Tolkien is full of legendary heroes who died soon after, or even while fighting their most impressive enemy. Being dead is only shameful when you were still carrying Silmarils, since that way they'll fall back into evil hands. The stated objective in the game is recovering a Silmaril, but killing Morgoth is killing Morgoth.
Maybe it should just be harder to kill Morgoth, so that people who recover the Silmarils still get an impressive achievement?
It is pretty hard. Harder w/ every new version. It isn't even the objective.

Even just for seeing more varied builds I would like the change, but then I liked to play singers and other odd builds (no ability) when I last played.

If you are taking ideas: For singer/stealth/archer centric play, I would like to see how a "realistic-tissue" challenge mode without default-regeneration works. (Much less fighting for sure.)
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017, 21:58   #7
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'm fairly neutral on the scoring. What's good in the current system is you can easily pick kill/not kill & no. of sils from the score. People tend to note pacifist or challenge games on the dump. The only irritating thing is the ladder doesn't seem to have an option to sort by turn count.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017, 23:54   #8
ebering
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Even just for seeing more varied builds I would like the change, but then I liked to play singers and other odd builds (no ability) when I last played.
Ranking more varied builds in a more equal fashion is my goal. If you look through the ladder at winners you see a variety of builds and play styles, but the ladder toppers are much more similar and tend to have two flavors: masterpiece and hacknslash (there's a lot of variability within the melee tree for different modes, but that's only one skill tree!). With the changes I've made giving two new ways to get at the crown (Song of Mastery and some kind of earthquake) I'd like any sort of ranking of ebering-sil games to encourage players to take advantage of these things.

I don't want this whole thread to be de-railed by scoring, though! Particularly I'm interested in feedback on the Lore-Master ideas, and the following two throwing changes:

Code:
- more throwing
  - Grant assassination bonuses to thrown attacks
  - Add Throwing Mastery as a prereq for Momentum, remove one of the others??
The zero Throwing Mastery in Patashu's stats suggests something needs a change. At the same time I don't want the changes I make to depart too far from half and Scatha's vision. It's been explicitly said that throwing is meant to be supported but for the most part not encouraged. My current assessment of the state of throwing is that it's discouraged both from an interface screw PoV and a balance PoV. The first one I've fixed, the second one I'm not sure what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap
If you are taking ideas: For singer/stealth/archer centric play, I would like to see how a "realistic-tissue" challenge mode without default-regeneration works. (Much less fighting for sure.)
I've flipped through this forum for ideas before. It sounds interesting, but new challenge modes would be low on my priority list. My hope is that perhaps code cleanup a la vanilla 4 will make the Sil codebase friendlier for others to modify.
Old March 15, 2017, 00:12   #9
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebering View Post
Code:
- more throwing
  - Grant assassination bonuses to thrown attacks
  - Add Throwing Mastery as a prereq for Momentum, remove one of the others??
The zero Throwing Mastery in Patashu's stats suggests something needs a change. At the same time I don't want the changes I make to depart too far from half and Scatha's vision. It's been explicitly said that throwing is meant to be supported but for the most part not encouraged. My current assessment of the state of throwing is that it's discouraged both from an interface screw PoV and a balance PoV. The first one I've fixed, the second one I'm not sure what to do.
I'm not sure what to suggest here without trying it with the better interface. In theory throwing mastery+finesse should be viable with throwing spears just from the way spears critical & the fact you can throw at melee range. It's just going to end up expensive long term on a melee build.

There's a 2nd interface problem with throwing, & that's using glowing weapons against light sensitive enemies. Currently if you walk over a final rest spear when fighting whispering shadows it'll auto-pickup, causing the light to go out.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017, 02:42   #10
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Feature request: remove levels 21-40. That is, when the player goes upstairs from the Morgoth's room, the game displays this text:
Code:
Up through the dark and echoing gloom	
as ghosts from many-tunnelled tomb,	
up from the mountains' roots profound	
and the vast menace underground,	
his limbs aquake with deadly fear,
terror in eyes, and dread in ear,	
together fled he, by the beat	
affrighted of his flying feet.
...and teleports the player to the final level (with Carcharoth & co), just like in Tolkien's poem.
After getting silmarils the most interesting part of the game (and story) is over; extending it is just tedium. Yes, it makes the game more difficult, but in an unfun way. E.g., by that time your character's development is over, so it's time for the game to be over as well. Also, the ascention promotes grinding (staves of revelations, exp. for exchange places, etc), which seems antithetical to the goals of Sil.
I know that mpa-sil makes all upstairs on the ascent work as upshafts, but that's not even a half measure (more like 10% measure). And it's bizarre and "gamey". So I'd sugget to just remove the whole ascent thing, except for Carcharoth level, which is very cool.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote