Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 2, 2014, 03:59   #1
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Why does literally everything do acid damage

Hi I'm having a lot of fun playing the 3.5 comp, and I have come up with a revolutionary idea re: the future direction of Angband development.

The Big Idea: Make not a billion things do acid damage.

In one room alone just now I have fought

A 'bloodshot' icky thing
Water hounds
A water vortex
A purple worm
An ochre jelly
A gelatinous cube

and those are just the ones I can remember. Guess what all of them have in common?

I'm not sure why all these things have different colors and flavors if all they do is barf acid. Why don't we just assign a color (green) / flavor (water) of monster to acid damage and be consistent with it?

Acid damage is basically a waste of time anyways, things are cheap enough that I just go up to town and buy new enchanted equipment. The only super annoying thing is that it blows up staves (and even then I only think when it's a breath).

Honestly I'm on DL25 and I feel like literally half of everything I've fought that's not an orc does acid damage. This is kinda super repetitive! At the very least it would be nice if we could use visual cues like "hey that's green, fuck that thing I'm outta here"
Old May 2, 2014, 05:56   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The weird thing is that almost all of the acid-based monsters are front-loaded into the first 20 levels of the game. After that they tail off considerably; I think the only new acid-based monsters after that point are acidic cytoplasms and black puddings.

Of course, in the mid- and late-game, most of your equipment can't be damaged by acid anyway, so it loses some of its punch. But it does seem like acid monsters are a bit densely-packed early on!

I've honestly just stopped noticing acid damage, really. It's basically your introduction to "nothing is permanent, don't get attached to your gear/stats/etc." I don't claim that makes it fun.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 05:58   #3
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
This resonates. Screw all of these monsters. Double-screw the ones that have at least two of the following: fast, ranged, appear in groups. They're not hard to deal with. They're just annoying. I don't seriously argue we get rid of this, but it isn't fun. It's one of those things that I think "fucking Angband. I hate this stupid game. Wait I'm still playing it."
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 06:09   #4
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
This resonates. Screw all of these monsters. Double-screw the ones that have at least two of the following: fast, ranged, appear in groups. They're not hard to deal with. They're just annoying. I don't seriously argue we get rid of this, but it isn't fun. It's one of those things that I think "fucking Angband. I hate this stupid game. Wait I'm still playing it."
Imo, this annoyance from Vanilla Angband is tame compared to the uber-nasty stuff that happens in variants like PosChengband.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:30   #5
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Oh god yes. I've been playing a lot of poscheng lately and it's much more irritating with drains, acid, and company. Plus the monster memory doesn't play nice.

edit: I just yesterday compiled a debug build so that I can activate monster knowledge, but I haven't played any games with it yet because of the competition. I don't plan to submit any of said characters to the ladder because I know it's looked down upon, but I have limited patience for self-pat-on-the-back-because-we-so-veteran design.

tl;dr I will play cheating poschengband characters to learn more and not upload them to the ladder.

Last edited by krazyhades; May 2, 2014 at 06:36.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 10:39   #6
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The weird thing is that almost all of the acid-based monsters are front-loaded into the first 20 levels of the game. After that they tail off considerably; I think the only new acid-based monsters after that point are acidic cytoplasms and black puddings.

Of course, in the mid- and late-game, most of your equipment can't be damaged by acid anyway, so it loses some of its punch. But it does seem like acid monsters are a bit densely-packed early on!

I've honestly just stopped noticing acid damage, really. It's basically your introduction to "nothing is permanent, don't get attached to your gear/stats/etc." I don't claim that makes it fun.
You forgot Bile Demons, but acid is a waste of space late-game anyway. Easy to resist, relatively low damage and non-weapon or ring sources of immunity exist and are pretty easy to find.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 15:04   #7
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The weird thing is that almost all of the acid-based monsters are front-loaded into the first 20 levels of the game.
Yes, I should have been clearer about this point specifically.
Old May 2, 2014, 15:06   #8
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhades View Post
It's one of those things that I think "fucking Angband. I hate this stupid game. Wait I'm still playing it."
Be careful. Nick finds these sorts of comments encouraging
Old May 2, 2014, 16:44   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Acid damage is basically a waste of time anyways, things are cheap enough that I just go up to town and buy new enchanted equipment.
So I'm hearing "Acid attacks should be more dangerous"
Old May 2, 2014, 16:50   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So I'm hearing "Acid attacks should be more dangerous"
How about this: give each piece of armor HP equal to 10 * current AC (so unenchanted Soft Leather Armor would have 80 HP, for example). If acid attacks the armor, then the armor loses HP; for every 10 HP it loses it loses 1 AC. Acid deals all of its damage to armor, if it can; it only hurts the player if the armor cannot be damaged by acid (either because it's immune or because it has no more HP).

You could also make it just be "10 acid damage = lose 1 AC" but then small acid attacks either get ignored or get overly large influence. That might be worth the simplification though.

In any event, the effect would be to make acid really hard on your armor while doing next to nothing to the character -- but with a clean transition to doing normal damage to the character when their gear becomes immune to acid.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote