AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 21, 2019, 00:54   #41
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
I believe hand axes are not flagged as throwing items. The combat rolls indicate that they have a thrown melee score of 4 when it should be 9, and 1 damage side when it should be 2. This penalty does not occur when wielded normally.
Yeah, they're not throwing axes any more. I don't think there are actually any instances of axes being thrown in Tolkien (though I'm amenable to being proven wrong). Of course the same could probably be said of daggers...
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2019, 06:54   #42
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Is it just me or is Sil-Q digestion rate much slower than Sil-Vanilla by default? Rationale?
Old December 25, 2019, 18:14   #43
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Is it just me or is Sil-Q digestion rate much slower than Sil-Vanilla by default? Rationale?
It's just you. The only change to food in Sil-Q is around the removal of the Gorged status.
Old December 26, 2019, 12:17   #44
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Found a 'bug' and I don't know if this persisted since Sil-Vanilla 1.3.0. When wielding Gaurin (and maybe other Sharpness weapons), Staff of Self Knowledge reveals: " Your weapon cuts easily through armour (ignore 500f protection)".

Also:
How do betrayal artefacts work? e.g. Bloody Hand (as in this case)

Separate question unrelated to betrayal artefacts:
If I don't have Fire Resistance, abundant protection reduces its damage too, right?

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; December 26, 2019 at 13:18.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2019, 15:19   #45
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Found a 'bug' and I don't know if this persisted since Sil-Vanilla 1.3.0. When wielding Gaurin (and maybe other Sharpness weapons), Staff of Self Knowledge reveals: " Your weapon cuts easily through armour (ignore 500f protection)".
Thanks.

Quote:
Also:
How do betrayal artefacts work? e.g. Bloody Hand (as in this case)

Separate question unrelated to betrayal artefacts:
If I don't have Fire Resistance, abundant protection reduces its damage too, right?
Betrayal artefacts tend to fail you at bad moments. In the shield's case, it's likely to fail to block a blow capable of almost killing you when you're already quite badly injured. The effects of betrayal are never directly fatal, but can leave you in a sticky situation.

From the manual: "The only sources of protection that count are special protection from special abilities, or magical rings and amulets. If it is fire or cold damage, you can also count the protection from your shield."
Old December 26, 2019, 16:15   #46
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
From the manual: "The only sources of protection that count are special protection from special abilities, or magical rings and amulets. If it is fire or cold damage, you can also count the protection from your shield."
This one is actually a bit confusing, as there is fire breathe that works as above, and fire melee(balrogs) where it's physical damage with an extra die if you lack fire resistance.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019, 16:45   #47
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Feature request:
When you have an un-Ided weapon with a slay on it, make a message that says 'your short sword {special} glows if a suitable monster is near by, even if the weapon is 'in your pack'. The nonsense of dropping it on the floor to check is just unnecessary tedium. (Possibly have the message even if the weapon is ided.)
Looked at this today, but it's not really viable. The condition for the weapon to glow is met on an ongoing basis, and may easily toggle back and forth a lot when you're nearby enemies without closing on them, so the message would get very spammy. Not sure why you'd drop the weapon on the floor rather than wield it.

Auto-IDing from the glow isn't so hot either - surrounded by wolves and orcs, your weapon could be either Gondolin or Doriath.

Have added a colour change when you look at your inventory - glowing weapons will highlight in cyan.
Old December 29, 2019, 23:25   #48
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

So, apparently Flanking ?still works while confused. I encountered this while fighting Madthorns, but couldn't tell if it was because I was running into them or if 'flanking' took effect while going in a different confused direction around them. Let us know if this intended behavior. Thanks
Old December 30, 2019, 08:14   #49
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Hey Quirk, you mentioned changing blocking to any action other then moving? I'm going to suggest the same mechanic as controlled retreat, or maybe similar so you can flank with it as well if you stood & hit last turn.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019, 09:42   #50
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Hey Quirk, you mentioned changing blocking to any action other then moving? I'm going to suggest the same mechanic as controlled retreat, or maybe similar so you can flank with it as well if you stood & hit last turn.
Just to clarify, you mean block if you did not move on the previous turn? Or block if you are moving to a location that is not adjacent to the enemy?

I'm not sure I want it to work with Flanking - Dodging already does that, and I think thematically Flanking is mobility-based. It will still work nicely with Controlled Retreat.