Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Did you read 'Silmarillion'?
Yes 24 80.00%
No, not yet 3 10.00%
No, I first time hear about 'Silmarillion' 0 0%
I can not read 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9, 2020, 14:07   #21
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
Sadly, it's more complicated than that. What you really somehow need to do is restart life, read "The Hobbit" at age eight or nine, read LoTR in your early teens, and only then pick up the Silmarillion a few years later.
Check, check and check

The thing about the Silmarilion, and I guess one of the reasons it can be hard to pick after LotR is that it's basically a set of notes about the history of Middle Earth and so quite dry. All of the histories and stories, a few of which Prof T worked out in detail, would be far too big, to epic for one book.

Some of that work has been expanded - The Children of Hurin for example. As as Nick alluded to, the history of Middle Earth books where Christopher did an amazing job of sorting through his father's papers and notes to give the whole thing a lot of context.
Old April 9, 2020, 15:36   #22
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
In Germany, the Lord of the Rings was first published 1969/1970.
There was not much fantasy literature available at the time. I think I read it first in 1972 or so. At that time, I barely could get any modern fantasy. At most there were a few remnants of the pulp age which had been translated into German, like Robert E. Howard or Lord Dunsany. Only in the late 70s, after the success of the LotR, the fantasy literature finally reached the book shelves in Germany. Even Michael Moorcock's Elric novels were first published in the 80s.
(My English was not good enough at the time to read the originals, apart from the undertaking it would have been to acquire them, there was no amazon .)

All of the Tolkien fans were desperate to get something new to read about Middle-earth. The Silmarillion was published in 1977 and I binge-read it (as well as the Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth in 1980).
There was no internet and no other source of information available. All the little hints about a long gone history in the LotR had made me hungry for more. Today everybody can look up anything in the blink of an eye. There is no desperate need to read the whole Silmarillion (over and over ).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2020, 18:53   #23
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I think I read it first in 1972 or so.
uhh... how old are you exactly?
Old April 10, 2020, 06:10   #24
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
uhh... how old are you exactly?
I am 63 and counting
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2020, 06:17   #25
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
I read the Hobbit and LotR during early Junior High, so probably 1978-79 or so. The Silmarillion was a tough read at times but I made it through, probably mid-80s. I don't think any of the books are required to understand Angband, but to appreciate the "Lore" of the monsters and uniques, it would help.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2020, 17:35   #26
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Silmarillion is most likely a good read for any LotR-aficionados (nerds, as mentioned in this thread) It's not for anyone else.

I remember when I started reading it, one thing I really wanted to find out was that whatever happened to Gorlim that made him to commit a betrayal. He was the unique, who killed at least two of my most advanced characters at one point. His Angband-description only stated that Sauron had made him go mad.

Well, I did find it out
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2020, 11:57   #27
Gauss
Adept

Gauss is on a distinguished road
I don't find the Silmarillion required for playing angband but it definitely makes the game more enjoyable
since you will definitely recognize monsters and characters from the book and that helps a lot with inmersion IMO.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote